• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whispering Canyon on Thanksgiving?

Px4

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ate at Whispering Canyon on Thanksgiving? We have never ate at Whispering Canyon. We had ADRs there last year, but I canceled them and opted for Grand Floridian Cafe. But the entire week we stayed at WL, my girls wanted to eat at Whispering Canyon. Mostly for the ketchup. LOL I heard to many mixed reviews so I didn't want to waste our time there.

The girls came up to DH and I last night, told us they had been "talkin' Disney" and think they would like to have Thanksgiving dinner at Whispering Canyon. Again, I don't want to get a horrible meal. We had planned 1900 Park Fare originally as our Thanksgiving Meal, but recently started throwing around other places.

So, is Whispering Canyon good on Thanksgiving? Since its served family style, I was assuming it would be comparable to Liberty Tree Tavern. Is that a good comparison?

I have not done it on Thanksgiving, but have given it a try once for breakfast and twice for dinner.

Breakfast was terrible and I would never do it again.
Dinner was okay. Not one of the best meals I had and not one I would be upset over not being able to book. The only thing that we found to be descent on the menu was the skillet....and only some of the items.

Like any other request for an assessment of dining spot here, you are going to get a range of reviews.

That stated, we enjoyed our dinner at WC back in 2008. Solid service and food (we all got a la carte, didn't do the skillet - we weren't that hungry). I had the chicken pasta which I'd put in the B+/A- range.

The ambience is pretty much as described, servers (many of whom seem to be long-timers) "yank your chain" but in a nice way. I would imagine that the skillet at Thanksgiving (especially if there is a special version of it for that meal) would be quite impressive (here's a photo of the standard issue):

dscf00099pw.jpg

Regarding the above post, that is the first negative review I've ever seen of breakfast there, most people seem to rave about the skillet served for that meal. We may actually save up our appetite for it at the breakfast ADR we have there in June.:love:

Just found this:

Whispering Canyon Cafe '2007 Thanksgiving

Lunch/Dinner

12:00pm - 10:00pm

Price (not including tax and gratuity):

$32.99 ages 10 and up

$15.99 ages 3 - 9

Feature Menu:

Salad:

Fresh Field Greens tossed with Apples, Candied Walnuts, Blue Cheese, and Dried Cherries, served with a Creamy Maple Mustard Dressing.

Entrée Skillet contains:

Smoke House Breast of Turkey
Maple Glazed Ham
Oven-roasted Chicken
Traditional Stuffing
Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
Candied Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes
Giblet Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry Relish
Corn Bread

Dessert:

Pumpkin Pie

Non-alcoholic non-specialty beverages are included Full Service Bar available

No other menu selections will be offered

About every two years we have a large family trip (about 25 people) to Disney at Thanksgiving. We have tried Chef Mickey's, Ohana's, Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern (which would be my second choice due to atmosphere at TG), Trails End at FW, and a few other places.

In our opinion I can tell you that our favorite as far as I can find is the Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL. It had the BEST Thanksgiving diner we have found. It was so good, we have not tried anywhere else since first eating TG there. The food was very tasty & well prepared, basically like mom's home cooking (if not better)The service was great, even for such a large group. They did have to put us at different table, since they cannot seat such a large group, but we were all next to each other.

It is also all you can eat, so don't be bashfull about seconds.

Make your ressies there and enjoy.

About every two years we have a large family trip (about 25 people) to Disney at Thanksgiving. We have tried Chef Mickey's, Ohana's, Crystal Palace, Liberty Tree Tavern (which would be my second choice due to atmosphere at TG), Trails End at FW, and a few other places.

In our opinion I can tell you that our favorite as far as I can find is the Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL. It had the BEST Thanksgiving diner we have found. It was so good, we have not tried anywhere else since first eating TG there. The food was very tasty & well prepared, basically like mom's home cooking (if not better)The service was great, even for such a large group. They did have to put us at different table, since they cannot seat such a large group, but we were all next to each other.

It is also all you can eat, so don't be bashfull about seconds.

Make your ressies there and enjoy.

Very glad to read your review. We had been trying to decide between Trail's End (due to convenience as we are staying at FW) and WCC. I think we'll shoot for WCC!

To the original poster - we had dinner at WCC in 2008. My DH and DDs loved it. I liked it well enough, but wasn't as crazy about it as they were. But I"m not a big meat eater. In 2009 we had breakfast there, and it was good - we all 4 enjoyed it. I'm sure all dining places have off days - so you will get mixed reviews. But on average, I'd say you read more positive about WCC than negative. We are planning on WCC for breakfast for sure this year again. And now looking at it for Thanksgiving. :)

OP - how was your Thanksgiving dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe? We ate at WCC last Thanksgiving and my husband and I thought it was very good but we like to try different restaurants and have never been to GFC. Also, was it a set menu?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter