Whispering Canyon Cafe

pjhootch

DIS Veteran
We are here now staying at Wilderness Lodge. With the hurricane/no hurricane airport mess, we have been stuck an extra couple of days. Since we had a late lunch and were not in a park we tried the WCC last night for dinner. I have to say I am not certain what would entice people to come from other resorts or from the parks to eat here. :-) It is not bad food, but it does not strike me as anything to go out of my way for.

Honestly, the sheer volume of the meals is stunning. I ordered from the kids menu because I knew I was not up to eating a massive meal. The kids quesadilla was enough to satisfy me, and the veggie options as sides are good after a few days of fries. Lol. The mashed potatoes were actually really good, as was the broccoli.

Like I said the food is fine, and tasty enough. I just cannot imagine coming from somewhere else to eat here.

People around us ordered various skillets and the amount of food was just crazy. Meat, meat and more meat. Lol. If this sounds appealing then this might be a great option for you.

We love WCC (breakfast in particular), but only eat there when we are staying at WL! I agree, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, but it's a special treat when we are at the resort.

We ate at WCC for the first (and last, at this point) time about 4 years ago. We were not staying there but I had always wanted to see WL and the food suites my family (my DH loves his meats). However, it was the last meal of our week long trip, and DD who was 5 at the time was NOT having it. She is normally a good kid but she just lost it there. I think it was the combination of an exhausting week, the loudness and business of the restaurant, the fact that it was fairly late for her to eat (around 7)etc and she was awful. To the point that DH had to take her out mid meal and they never returned to the table, even when the server brought her a birthday cupcake.

That said, we are going back here in a few weeks for a split landy/sea vacation. We are staying at WL for two nights at the beginning of our trip and eating at WCC on our arrival evening. DD is almost 9 now and I anticipate this visit to go so much better. I didn't tell her all the tricks but needless to say she really wants some ketchup :) This time I have "You have to eat and cooperate in order to swim after dinner" to hold over DD at dinner if need be. I'm excited to revisit.

The Dis recently did a review. They all seemed to enjoy the skillets, which they mentioned are all you care to eat. That's probably what a lot of people are coming for.

We just did our first visit to WCC for breakfast two weeks ago, on our ‘no park’ day. At this point, it was one of the few ‘must go’ places we had never tried. We used Lyft from Bay Lake Tower and were there at 7:30. We shared the lighter fare skillet. It was one of our favorite breakfast of our trip. The food was plentiful and excellent and our server was wonderful. I totally get why people would want to go back. We laughed a lot, ate a lot for a very reasonable price and the resort is great to visit.

We were the first table to order ketchup that day....

We always go no matter where we stay (but we mainly stay at WL). We were there two weeks ago and did a lunch and breakfast. My kids love the silliness and the ketchup (which no one uses ).

We like it, but only bother when staying at WL. I agree that I would not make the trip to the resort, if staying somewhere else, just to eat at WCC.

That’s what I thought. 2 people eat, you pay for two skillets right? Just seems like I hear people saying they got a cheap meal by sharing and that doesn’t seem normal for AYCTE. Wonder if some servers make some magic and only charge one?

We're staying at WL next month and may end up there for dinner if the kids can't hang with going back to the parks after our afternoon break. For us, it seems worth the $$ because we have two under three (with giant toddler appetites) that we will be able to feed from our plates for no extra cost. Beats paying for a kids meal that they aren't all that into eating.

We have never stayed at WL and we have eaten multiple times at WCC. Sometimes the food and service was just meh... but most times the food it good and the service is fun. We have a family with omnivores, vegetarians, vegans and a person who doesn't eat much because of a bypass surgery. This restaurant meets everyone's food needs well, so that's why we go out of our way.

We've eaten there twice (once for dinner and once for breakfast) and thought it was really good. Our first ADR for dinner was when we were not staying there and we did make the trip over to eat. I thought it was really good and it was neat to visit Wilderness Lodge. Our second time (breakfast) was when we were staying at Wilderness Lodge.

That’s what I thought. 2 people eat, you pay for two skillets right? Just seems like I hear people saying they got a cheap meal by sharing and that doesn’t seem normal for AYCTE. Wonder if some servers make some magic and only charge one?

They also offer a menu, so not everyone has to order the skillet. The poster above who said she ordered from the kids menu must have ordered a kids entree, not a skillet.

They are known for their skillets and I don't think it's really fair to judge the food based on a kid's quesadilla. Many people do like the meat skillets and can eat quite a bit. I am not a big eater but if we go to places like this, I skip lunch. It sounds like you are putting down the people that choose to eat there and not the food.

They are known for their skillets and I don't think it's really fair to judge the food based on a kid's quesadilla. Many people do like the meat skillets and can eat quite a bit. I am not a big eater but if we go to places like this, I skip lunch. It sounds like you are putting down the people that choose to eat there and not the food.

Really? Are you looking for something to get offended by? I said nothing bad about people that choose to eat here.

I did not realize there was some kind of standard that I can only post about food if I am "fair" and apparently try everything on the menu. For crying out loud.

I said the food was good, tasty, fine... not sure how that is unfair. I did order a kids meal. I was not complaining about it, in fact I liked it. Pretty sure I said so. I was the only one with a kids meal besides the little kids around us though. 8-) Sometimes you just cannot eat one more large meal. And some people do not realize you can order from the children's menu.

The meals are large. There is a huge amount of food, even in the vegetarian offering. That may appeal to people. The meat skillets have lots of meat and more than one type.

Yes, it is just my opinion that I would not come over to WL just to eat at WCC. Not putting anyone down that decides to do so, for cripes sake. Not because the food is bad (since it is good) but because it is not special enough to warrant me making the trip from a different resort or a park.

I did not realize I needed to put a disclaimer on my post that my opinion does not represent that of everyone else on the Dis Boards so I wouldnt be unfair or accused of putting people down. Sheesh.

Really? Are you looking for something to get offended by? I said nothing bad about people that choose to eat here.

I did not realize there was some kind of standard that I can only post about food if I am "fair" and apparently try everything on the menu. For crying out loud.

I said the food was good, tasty, fine... not sure how that is unfair. I did order a kids meal. I was not complaining about it, in fact I liked it. Pretty sure I said so. I was the only one with a kids meal besides the little kids around us though. 8-) Sometimes you just cannot eat one more large meal. And some people do not realize you can order from the children's menu.

The meals are large. There is a huge amount of food, even in the vegetarian offering. That may appeal to people. The meat skillets have lots of meat and more than one type.

Yes, it is just my opinion that I would not come over to WL just to eat at WCC. Not putting anyone down that decides to do so, for cripes sake. Not because the food is bad (since it is good) but because it is not special enough to warrant me making the trip from a different resort or a park.

I did not realize I needed to put a disclaimer on my post that my opinion does not represent that of everyone else on the Dis Boards so I wouldnt be unfair or accused of putting people down. Sheesh.

You said that you can't imagine someone travelling to go to WCC. As if the food was not worth the time. It must be worth it to a lot of people. Your post just came off as if people are idiots for wasting their time going to eat there. If that was not your intent, then I apologize.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter