whirring/purring noise in my walls?!??

I can't believe these exterminators are that booked up! We have several national companies around here - Ehrlich, Quest, Viking, etc. & they've always come within hours of calling. Even for non-emergencies!

A beekeeper will only come if they're honey bees. We have a local orchard that also has bees & they have signs all over that they will come remove bees, nests & honey - but only honey bees.

That frozen bee story is bizarre!!

We have a chart up of the different snakes that are in this area and if they are poisonous or not, they are all scary though.

My motto when it comes to snakes around the house is "the only good snake is a dead snake." I let the green ones go and have learned to let the 6' black ones with the yellow bellies go because they are endangered. (pine snakes) But other than that, they're dead. We have too many copper heads, rattlers, and corals to think twice about what it might be.

I've learned something today (well, two somethings, really).

1. don't read this thread with a coke nearby. i had my headphones on when I started reading, took them off midway through and then heard a buzzing sound. immediately freaked out and nearly peed myself before realizing the sound was coming from my coke can. fizz, not bees.

2. if, like me, you are allergic to bees, this thread is your own personal horror story and i will probably not sleep again until after the first frost, sometime in november. my ears will be too peeled for purring in the walls and i'll be frequently checking for wet spots. Ewww.

I was about 5 years old and it was the first cool night of the year. The previous year there was a problem with the forced hot water heating system and my father had to cut a hole in the garage ceiling (beneath my bedroom) to fix it. Well, the hole remained all summer and some bees decided to move in.

Fast forward to the first cool night of the year and the bees decide to look for a nice warm place to go. They follow the pipe through the floor and what do they find, ME, in my bed. I woke up, freaked out, and ran to my parent's bedroom crying that there are bees in my bed. I've been known to sleepwalk and dad figures that's what's going here and says you're just dreaming go back to bed. I start screaming crying and he finally decided to show me it was just a dream. He brings me to my bed, throws back the sheets, and there are about a dozen bees nice and snug under the covers. Thirty years later and I still have to check the bed for bees before I climb in.

Days later and OP still has bees? No way!?!:headache::scared1:

BEEWATCH UPDATE:

The exterminator FINALLY came this morning. He used a stethoscope to listen in our walls and said (MUCH to my relief!), "The nest isn't where you think it is..." Turns out that the actual nest was next to the front window, obviously on an OUTSIDE wall.

So he simply sprayed them from there, and $175 later.......I can sleep in my own bed tonight!!!!

The exterminator FINALLY came this morning. He used a stethoscope to listen in our walls and said (MUCH to my relief!), "The nest isn't where you think it is..." Turns out that the actual nest was next to the front window, obviously on an OUTSIDE wall.

So he simply sprayed them from there, and $175 later.......I can sleep in my own bed tonight!!!!

Woo hoo!! That's great!!! :cool1: :thumbsup2 :banana: I'm really happy for you -- and relieved! You deserve a good night's sleep after all this! :goodvibes

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

:scared1: I hate bees, but somehow I read every page!! YIKES!! LOL

Ugh...my neighbor had a huge nest of bees in the roof of her bedroom window dormer. If you stood quietly in the room, you could hear the whirring sound in the walls!! :scared1:

:scared1:

I can't believe you stayed in the house! I would have packed up the kids and slept at a friends, a hotel, the car, a tent....anywhere but next to a closet full of bees!:scared1:
::yes::

Thanks for the update, OP...I keep peeking in with caution, because the whole subject just makes me squeamish. But I need to know the outcome. Morbid curiosity I suppose...

me too!!

:eek: I didnt' even watch it because the title of 60,000 bees was enough for me!!

BEEWATCH UPDATE:

Well, thats good to know!!

On occassion (although its been a couple months), we'd see about 1-4 wasps daily walking along our living room floor, obviously dying.. We guessed they were coming from our fireplace... but if I ever hear the purring noise, I'm gonna flip!! I've never been stung, but I'm terrified of ALL of the bee creatures!! LOL

At first, I thought $175 sounded pretty steep..... until I imagined how much money it would take for me to go to a house with some sort of flying, stinging, insect infestation and well....... $175 would be cheap at twice the price. lol

At first, I thought $175 sounded pretty steep..... until I imagined how much money it would take for me to go to a house with some sort of flying, stinging, insect infestation and well....... $175 would be cheap at twice the price. lol

Yeah, me too! But he told my DH, in case he wants to take care of it himself next time, that the chemical he used would cost $150 to purchase! So I guess the other $25 is just labor?!!??!

I can't wait to crawl into my nice soft bed tonight. The couch was really starting to get to me...........

On occassion (although its been a couple months), we'd see about 1-4 wasps daily walking along our living room floor, obviously dying.. We guessed they were coming from our fireplace... but if I ever hear the purring noise, I'm gonna flip!! I've never been stung, but I'm terrified of ALL of the bee creatures!! LOL

Everytime someone opened a door last fall, a few GIANT wasps would mysteriously appear in the house. We had just put the glass doors on the fireplace, so we never even thought to check it.

There was a BIG nest up there! We ran the gas fireplace a few days in a row, which chased most of them away. Then had a handyman put a screened cap on top after he removed the nest itself. Haven't had a problem since.

Yeah, me too! But he told my DH, in case he wants to take care of it himself next time, that the chemical he used would cost $150 to purchase! So I guess the other $25 is just labor?!!??!

I can't wait to crawl into my nice soft bed tonight. The couch was really starting to get to me...........

I'm so glad that it was outside the house and there was no real damage other than your pocketbook, lol. Hope you slept well.

I'm almost asleep in bed when I hear this loud purring sound. Assuming it was my cat, I glanced around and looked for her, but it wasn't her (she's in my dd's bedroom). As I listened closer and closer, I discovered that the sound is coming from inside my bedroom wall! (2nd floor, interior wall)

It really sounds like my Siamese when she's falling asleep - - a loud, rhythmic purr, almost a motor-like whirr.

So I banged on the wall, thinking that if it were an animal, it would respond to the sound/vibration. It didn't stop at that time, but it did stop a few minutes later.

And then it started up again.

What the heck PURRS that could be inside my walls!??!
Rats purr

I haven't read all the posts here but I just dealt with a wasps nest in the walls of my home (it's a 200 year old antique). The sound coming from the walls gave me chills and was like an incessant purring/buzzing. Don't take chances with this. Call an exterminator.

I haven't read all the posts here but I just dealt with a wasps nest in the walls of my home (it's a 200 year old antique). The sound coming from the walls gave me chills and was like an incessant purring/buzzing. Don't take chances with this. Call an exterminator.

Speaking of antiques, this thread is one. The initial problem was reported more than a decade ago. I hope they got it resolved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter