While docked at Castaway Cay???

disneylady

Mouseketeer
We sail in 4 1/2 weeks and my son has surgery again on Thursday. His surgeon has said that he can indeed sail, but he must refrain from all water activities. We visit CC twice. What activities are onboard while docked at CC? I feel certain that we'll get off for photos, gift shopping, sea shell collecting, etc. But as soon as the temp rises, we will have to head back to the ship. I'm thinking we need to cancel, but the amount of $ that will be lost is bothersome. I purchased insurance through Disney, but am uncertain as to whether I'll get any $ back under these circumstances. The brochure is so confusing. Regardless, I'll loose about 1k in airfare $. It's been a big lesson for us as to the need to have EVERYTHING insured.

Anyway, just trying to work out in my mind if this trip is doable to the point of being enjoyable. My husband says re-schedule, but when I look at all the future cruises, the prices are so blasted high, we'd have to pay a huge difference. In looking at 2009, it seems that Disney cruising has now become out of our practical budget range.

Has anyone taken a kid in a full arm cast on a cruise and actually found enough stuff for them to do that it didn't make them and everyone else around them miserable?

Hi from a fellow Virginian! :)

You didn't say how old your son is, but while you're docked at CC, there is still tons of stuff to do onboard. There are movies, and all of the kids' clubs are in full action with activities on the island and on the ship.

There is also stuff going on on the island that won't require him to go down in the sand or in the water. The crab races are pretty funny and there are character meet and greets.

While he would get more out of it if you waited until he could go down to the beach and get in the water, you will definitely not be bored if you go now either.

I hope everything goes ok! :)

Don't know how old he is, but the Club and Lab activities do not involve the beach. There is some spraying of water from hoses, I think, but it would be easy enough to say "no" to that kind of stuff.

That said - since you have insurance and given his surgery, etc., I'm willing to bet that you'd be able to postpone or get a refund.

I don't know if this is an option or not for your son, but my niece just broke her arm and apparently they now offer water proof casts. My brother said it was more money but well worth it in their situation.
If that is not a possibility, I would say still absolutely go. There is so much to do onboard. Take a look at one of the navigators. They have tons of things that do not include water that are targeted toward kids. Good Luck. :yay:

Sandy, just want to say that I am wishing your son all the best for a speedy recovery. What a dilemna for you - unfortunately I don't know enough to give advice but if you do end up going on the cruise ( I understand about the airfare) I am confident that from the list of things to do on the ships, that he will have a great time.

My son is 10. He's always found the kid clubs boring and has basically stuck by my husband and I throughout the entire trip.

I asked about a waterproof cast, but was told that wasn't an option due to the avulsion on the inside of his hand. (He was trapped in a Rhino rollover.) He'll have pins and plates inserted in his arm in two days. The surgeon says we're looking at him being in a cast for about 8 weeks.

I have a room booked at the Comfort Suites in order to have access to Atlantis. I'm thinking that we'll have to cancel that one even if we decide to sail.

This one is hard because some of his classmates are going on this trip. In my mind, I picture them on water slides and swimming while my son watches from the sidelines with a smile on his face, but a sadness in his heart. If we re-book, they won't be joining us. Even with that said, the prices for future cruises are down right scarey. I must have got a heck of a deal for this one because it's 1/2 of what the rest are.

I have seen cases on these boards where groups struggling with difficult situations, have called Disney and they have helped them. Booking them on a different cruise for the same rate.....etc.

I remember last summer we were sailing the Med and there was a couple who was supposed to be on an earlier Med cruise. They had lost their passports on the way across the USA to leave the county. They could not go. They did not have insurance. Disney re-booked them on our cruise at no charge.

You have nothing to lose to call Disney and see if there is any solution they can help you with.

Good Luck...and if you go, you will have a wonderful time....

Wishing your son a speedy recovery. Not sure what type of surgery he had, there are many that restrict water exsposure and activities, but a couple of things..... On the ship is still family activities like the movies etc.... On the island though, the kids club actually has programming. They do not take the kids to the water ans shuttles cove is dry and filled with activites. Do not forget that Lunch takes up a big part of the day with the party at Cookies. If able to travel at a different time though, I do think I would call DCL and explain to them, many times they are willing to switch you. Do not know if it will be another DDip though. Those fill up fast and are hard to come by. Good luck and keep us posted....:hug:

Sorry to hear about your sons injury. Here are a few ideas that might work for your family and still allow you to have fun:

• The glass bottom boat tour. You don't go into the water at all and yet you can still enjoy a ride around the island and see the natural beauty.
  • Groupers Pavilion is a sheltered area where you can play games like foosball, ping pong, and basketball. There is also a huge chess and checker set that might be fun.​

I have read about the accident on the special cruise thread, we will be on this cruise and my heart feels for your family. Where in VA are you? (we are Roanoke)

What does your son want to do? If he has friends on the cruise they may just do the things that he is able to do and not spend a lot of time swimming and such. His friends may want to spend time at the club and then maybe he would enjoy it more.

He may not have as much fun on the cruise as he would un-injured, but he will probably have more fun than he would at home on the couch.

Just my 2 cents.

Like an earlier poster said, I would try calling Disney directly and explain yourwhole situation and see what they can do. Seeing that you have the insurance, I would think that they could rebook you at a later time with no additional charge. I could be wrong, but I thought the insurance covered airfare as well? I'm sure you could find things for your son to do, I just don't think it would be the "vacation of a lifetime" that it would if he were able to participate in all the fun. Good luck!

If you do decide to cancel, I would have the Dr say he can't go so the trip insurance will kick in. I am sure the Dr would have no trouble with that. I think it would be better to postpone or cancel, honestly. If your son can't do water activities, and doesn't enjoy the kids clubs... that is a good chunk of the vacation. I think I would rather pay more and be sure everyone enjoys themselves.

His classmates will be there? Then I would go on the cruise. He won't be able to swim but I bet his friends will step up to the plate and help make his vacation one to remember. I think he'll feel worse if his friends go on a cruise and he has to stay home.

One of my sons does not go in the water at castaway cay but still has a good time there. The game pavillion keeps him entertained for a while also the treasure hunt is fun and takes up quite a bit of time . Personally I would still go ,its much more fun on the ship than at home also it could help to distract him and take his mind of his arm.

Do you know his classmates well? How do they act together? If they are really good friends they will want him to have fun too. There is pingpong on deck 9 and lots of other non-water activities. They could team up to do the Mickey race in the atrium, go to the movies, and just hang out around the pool like kids do talking and joking around. Kids amaze me. DS's friend had surgery on both of his feet about a month ago. He walked on his toes and couldn't put his feet flat so they had to cut those tendons/muscles. He is in casts on his feet up to his knees. That kid was up hobbling around the house within a week!!! He has to be in the full casts for 3 months but isn't letting it slow him down at all.

Ok, so I get the dummy of the day award! When you said a Rhino rollover, I thought you meant the animal! It had me so perplexed the whole day, how a rhinocerus could fall over on him. So, I looked up your post from before and now I feel like a fool. I can't stop laughing. Not at your son's problem, really not funny. At my stupidity. I wish him well regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter