While backing up someone walked behind my car, and they got hit.

I have absolutely no experience in anything like this and I truly hope that I never will.
I just wanted to tell you to keep your head up and I hope things turn out for the best. :goodvibes

Your insurance company will take care of all of this. We needlessly stressed about a similar suit (involving our son). You pay insurance premiums to avoid handling all of the stress yourself. Give the stress to your insurance company's lawyers.

Rest - relax - stay as stress-free as possible! Accidents happen. :hug:

Your insurance company will take care of all of this. We needlessly stressed about a similar suit (involving our son). You pay insurance premiums to avoid handling all of the stress yourself. Give the stress to your insurance company's lawyers.

Rest - relax - stay as stress-free as possible! Accidents happen. :hug:

Yep, that was the point of my rather long winded post. :rolleyes1

I had two older woman walk out in front of my car 5 years ago. They weren't crossing at a crosswalk and came up on the hood of my car and smashed the windshield, then rolled off the front of my car as I slammed on the breaks. They were hurt (broken legs, internal injuries, broken hip), but they recovered and insurance paid all of their bills. I wasn't found at fault by the police and I was never ticketed, but 11 months later (the day before my college graduation), I found out I was being sued by them. I went through a lot with the law suit...after everything was said and done, they ended up getting a million dollars (one got $250,000 the other $750,000) and the worst part was it was really their fault. I had the green light and I was going the speed limit...they are the ones who didn't look before crossing the street.

OP, if you feel you need help, please go to therapy. I went and it helped. Also, I found a site online called dailystrength.org and it has helped me greatly.

Take care!

I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope it all gets resolved in the best way possible for you soon. :goodvibes I guess it could've been worse. The fella is older and could've been hurt worse. A few stitches doesn't seem like much to sue over.

I had a similar accident backing out in a parking lot. It involved another vehicle. I was sandwiched between two big SUVs but I did look before I got in my vehicle, (large parking lot) and the SUVs had a lot of glass (I could see). There was nothing coming. I proceeded to inch out very slowly and WHAM a car comes barrelling through the parking lot and right into me. The car hit the side of my vehicle! Private property, no police called. Mall security took notes. My insurance actually paid the guy, despite my protests. It worked out, but I didn't like it. It just didn't seem right at all. But at least I didn't have to pay him out of pocket.

From that day forward I have backed into or pulled through a parking spot. I don't want to be in that position again! :headache:

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that this happened.

Try not to worry about it all. Your insurance can and will handle everything and there's nothing you could have done to prevent it.

:grouphug:

The person had a similar accident 2 months earlier? Sounds like a scam, but that is why folks have insurance. Don't talk about the suit; let the insurance company handle it.

I don't know if this will help you but something similiar happened to my DH.

He was driving home from work on a busy 4 lane road. He stopped at a red light and the light had just turned green so he was going. He wasn't going fast (I want to say 1st gear still) and he saw one person run across the four lane road--not at the crosswalk to get to the transit bus stop near my DH's car.

He saw the first person run and stopped. The second person who was shorter and slower he could not see, because my DH's car was up higher.

Unfortuanately, he did hit the person. The entire transit bus saw what happened because it was at the stop. These people were running to catch the bus and ran against traffic to catch the bus.

the person was fine. This person was an older woman as well.

We did get one letter from the insurance company about the possibility of getting sued, but we haven't received anything. I think the 3 years are up now so there is little to be done. DH did not get a ticket or anything because of this.

The person had a similar accident 2 months earlier? Sounds like a scam, but that is why folks have insurance. Don't talk about the suit; let the insurance company handle it.

That's what killed me about my dad's case. This woman he hit (he hit her car) had a long, drawn out history of getting hit by other cars and then suing the person who hit her. Her recent accident (prior to my dad's) involved hitting a tree... that was head on. My dad hit her in the side. One of her complaints from my dad's accident was that she hurt her mouth, which makes absolutely no sense in a side accident, but gee, might work in a head on accident, right? They still awarded her money -- not everything she was asking for, but enough.

I am really sorry that happened to you!

Parking lots terrify me. I do NOT understand why people walk behind cars that are clearly backing up. It happens all the time.

I had two older woman walk out in front of my car 5 years ago. They weren't crossing at a crosswalk and came up on the hood of my car and smashed the windshield, then rolled off the front of my car as I slammed on the breaks. They were hurt (broken legs, internal injuries, broken hip), but they recovered and insurance paid all of their bills. I wasn't found at fault by the police and I was never ticketed, but 11 months later (the day before my college graduation), I found out I was being sued by them. I went through a lot with the law suit...after everything was said and done, they ended up getting a million dollars (one got $250,000 the other $750,000) and the worst part was it was really their fault. I had the green light and I was going the speed limit...they are the ones who didn't look before crossing the street.

OP, if you feel you need help, please go to therapy. I went and it helped. Also, I found a site online called dailystrength.org and it has helped me greatly.

Take care!

Did you have $1,000,000 in insurance coverage?

:charac2:Ooooo weeeee ooooo ooooo

(that's my creepy zombie music, hey I tried)

Always interesting to see what zombie thread will arise from the dead today!

This happened last month an I have been so stressed out about it. This person(73+yo) out of the blue walks behind my car while I am backing up in the church parking lot. I was looking before I go it my car, and looking the whole time while I was backing up really slow, but some how they managed to walk right behind me an got hit(BTW I believe they are smaller than 5 feet and I was driving a mini van with the back head rests at 4'11"). I was going slow, but they needed a few stitches for a cut on the back of the head...but that was it...no broken bones, etc. They did a cat scan and mutiple xrays at the hospital. I feel horrible(I have be having intense neck pain, nausea, occasional dizzyness etc from the stress) but I would hate to hurt anyone even accidently.

So last week I get a call from my insurance carrier that I am being sued. So this has to be for something besides medical bills. I know this person was in an accident 2 months before my accident. I was not issued a ticket by the police, but I am listed as causing the accident(although I don't know why-I was watching and going slow, and in a parking lot) but I guess I had the moving vehicle, so ok, I can see that. My DH talked to a few lawyers at work, they said that they were partially negliant(50%) for walking behind a moving car...and they felt it would be no fault. I just don't understand. Does anyone know what to expect in NY with regaurd to this? Thank you. Any advice would be appericated.
....OMG.....:hug:

It's because of the stuff at the bottom of the screen. I clicked on one today and it was a really old thread. Nobody looks at the dates anymore.

It's because of the stuff at the bottom of the screen. I clicked on one today and it was a really old thread. Nobody looks at the dates anymore.
Unfortunately, the teasers at the bottom don't indicated the date the thread was started. You don't find out it's old until you open it.

:grouphug:

I have always been horrified at the way some folks will walk directly in back of parked cars--say, in a large parking lot. I'm talking touching the bumper close, too.
They'll take their toddlers by the hand and without a thought in the world proceed to walk hard by cars even if they see the brake lights on.
Other times you can be pulling out of a spot, slowly & carefully, and this brand of numbskull will even speed up to get by you, thereby placing themselves directly behind.
At some point you have to be held responsible for yr own actions.
I do not believe the pedestrian is always right.

Please get a good lawyer (sounds like you've got this covered) & contact some witnesses. Document the stress you are experiencing by going to a doctor. I know you feel horrible causing injury to another, but you are going through the wringer, too. :hug:

Jean

Hi Tiff! :love:
I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a car backing out sloooooowly, only to have someone waltz right behind it in its path. WTH? It's not like the car is zooming backwards in reverse. It's backing out slowly and they keep on walking in its path instead of waiting a few seconds. People have lost their minds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter