Which would you choose for Fam of 5 staying 4 nights. All PBH or Split stay CB & HR

disneyinfebruary

Mouseketeer
For roughly the same amount of money we could either stay 4 nights in PBH standard room or 2 nights at CB (family suite) and 2 nights at Hard Rock (standard room). What would you do? This is our first trip to Universal.

We'll arrive in Orlando late afternoon on a Saturday and want to check out early Wednesday morning to make our way to another location for a wedding weekend. So planning to check-in/relax/checkout the resort Saturday evening; do a daytrip to Lego Land on Sunday (hours are longer there on a sunday and hours at Universal are short on sunday bc of Halloween Horror) and doing Universal parks all day Monday and Tuesday. Checkout Wednesday morning.

I like the idea of just unpacking once and PBH looks really nice, rooms are big, and its a good deal to stay there 4 nights, getting the Stay more save more price.

But, Since we really only need Express pass privileges for Monday/Tuesday, I was thinking it would be nice to stay at Cabana Bay for the extra room and large bathroom (seriously a huge plus with a fam of 5!) plus pool and bowling alley (kids are 5,7,9) on Saturday and Sunday, then staying at Hard Rock for 2 days to get EXpress passes plus I just think HR seems a bit more convenient and exciting for kids than PBH? Though the rooms are smaller. And I don't know if switching hotels will be a pain? If we wake up in Cabana Bay and want to get to the park for early hours plus have to check out/back in to new hotel that could be a hassle.

Ugh, please help me decide! Thank you!

Tough one - to me the switching hotels in a PITA - especially if you want to get to the extra hour in the morning and have time for breakfast etc..It sounds very rushed. Personally I hate wasting time moving from hotel to hotel - and I've done it many times in the past at Disney

Also I have found that very rarely are the room ready before 3 or 4 at universal - so if you wanted to go back to the room and take a break you can't - doesn't mean you wont get lucky but that has been my experience

Sounds like your driving so that will help..and I agree that the extra room and pool at Cabana bay would be fun since your not doing Universal those days and don't need express pass.

So no direct answer - just information

I think checking in and staying put at PBH would be easier. They have 3 pools. The beach pool has a slide and activities for the kiddos.

The PBH standard rooms are the biggest rooms of all the deluxe resorts at 450 sq ft.

You can pool hop to any of the resorts as a onsite guest. So even if you are staying at PBH or HRH you can still go over and enjoy Cabana Bay pool and bowling Alley if you want.

Also I agree with above poster. Checking out of one hotel and checking into other can be somewhat of a hassle. If your room is not ready they will store your bags, but then you have to settle in again.

No matter what you choose have a great time at Universal pixiedust:

Our first on-site stay was at PBH for four nights with family of 5. Had such a great time! Here is what is nice about it.

The pools. More choices, deeper, water slide. Kids love it (aged 7 thru 16).

The luxury. PBH has a great vibe of class and relaxation. Keeps the kids from being over stimulated. You can just chill. And when you want to see the other resorts, you can pool hop to try our HRH etc. Choose a deluxe queen room and it comes with a HUGE bathroom.

The express pass. You do not have to settle for two days of parks and two days of resorts. Get a four-day ticket and come and go and pool hop and eat all at a whim (even let the kids choose what they want to do, makes it extra special for them). Beats the WDW reservation, tour planning, transportation bus switching, commando style any 4-day vacation of the week!

I'm sure I heard that Undercover Tourist had some buy 2 days get 3 tickets, not sure when they expire. That would leave you a bit more options with an extra day.

I haven't been to any Universal hotels so I can't help on the hotels.

How old are the kids?

PBH is awesome and staying there the whole time would be what I would choose.

So planning to check-in/relax/checkout the resort Saturday evening; do a daytrip to Lego Land on Sunday

You'll be there 2 days before stepping foot inside Universal parks. This is not possible for my family. :) We live in WA and we have had APs since 2011. When we get off of a cruiseship and have 6 hours before we have to be at the airport, we go to Universal.

But, Since we really only need Express pass privileges for Monday/Tuesday, I was thinking it would be nice to stay at Cabana Bay for the extra room and large bathroom (seriously a huge plus with a fam of 5!) plus pool and bowling alley (kids are 5,7,9) on Saturday and Sunday

That does make sense if your plans are really really firm.

I ask about the ages of the kids b/c I wonder if Legoland (and the drive there and back) is really going to be good for them? For many kids there seems to be a really solid window of age/height where LL is good. I'm pretty sure we missed that window for DS, which is a bummer, because we all love Legos.

If we wake up in Cabana Bay and want to get to the park for early hours plus have to check out/back in to new hotel that could be a hassle.

It's not necessarily a hassle, but it is an EARLY thing to do. And you have to be organized.

Also I have found that very rarely are the room ready before 3 or 4 at universal

That's definitely not my experience.

For roughly the same amount of money we could either stay 4 nights in PBH standard room or 2 nights at CB (family suite) and 2 nights at Hard Rock (standard room). What would you do? This is our first trip to Universal.

We'll arrive in Orlando late afternoon on a Saturday and want to check out early Wednesday morning to make our way to another location for a wedding weekend. So planning to check-in/relax/checkout the resort Saturday evening; do a daytrip to Lego Land on Sunday (hours are longer there on a sunday and hours at Universal are short on sunday bc of Halloween Horror) and doing Universal parks all day Monday and Tuesday. Checkout Wednesday morning.

I like the idea of just unpacking once and PBH looks really nice, rooms are big, and its a good deal to stay there 4 nights, getting the Stay more save more price.

But, Since we really only need Express pass privileges for Monday/Tuesday, I was thinking it would be nice to stay at Cabana Bay for the extra room and large bathroom (seriously a huge plus with a fam of 5!) plus pool and bowling alley (kids are 5,7,9) on Saturday and Sunday, then staying at Hard Rock for 2 days to get EXpress passes plus I just think HR seems a bit more convenient and exciting for kids than PBH? Though the rooms are smaller. And I don't know if switching hotels will be a pain? If we wake up in Cabana Bay and want to get to the park for early hours plus have to check out/back in to new hotel that could be a hassle.

Ugh, please help me decide! Thank you!

I would just do PBH. I just stayed there with my family of 5 and we loved it. Rooms were a great size and the bathroom was huge! The atmosphere of the resort is great and there are multiple pools to enjoy. I would see no reason the resort wouldn't fit your needs.

I think for a 4 day trip with all you have planned it's not worth it to switch resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter