Which wholesale club is the best value?

mikkishelles

"Dress suitably in short skirts and strong boots,
I belong to Costco, and my membership is up for renewal this month. Before I renew, I am researching if perhaps BJ's or Sam's Club is a better value. Any opinions and pros/cons to each store?

I belong to Costco, and my membership is up for renewal this month. Before I renew, I am researching if perhaps BJ's or Sam's Club is a better value. Any opinions and pros/cons to each store?

We had a Sam's Club membership about 3 years ago (no Costco in town).

When we moved I kept it & then also got Costco's. I think Costco has a better selection & they sell more produce, prices are very similar, I kept my Costco membership & didn't renew SC.

Call your local Sam's & ask if you can tour the store before getting a membership, some of them have a pass they give to potential new costumers.

Hope that helps :goodvibes

I am a member of both BJ's and Sams...I prefer BJ's Wholesale over Sams and am considering adding Costco

The selection at Sams just isnt all that great to me, though I do prefer the gas there

I like BJ because they take coupons. You can use a BJ coupon plus a MFG coupon. When my membership was due for renewal last Dec they sent me an email that showed I saved $453 in one year. And we are not a big family its just me and DH. So that being said my membership was free.

We don't have BJs or Costco, though Costco has submitted a request to the planning commission to build locally this summer. I've been a Sams member off and on for years and don't get much value from it. When they first put in gas they were cheaper than the other local stations, then they went up and were usually either the same price or a little higher.

We joined Costco one year just to use them on vacations and I LOVED them. I'm very excited that they are coming to the area. :banana:

Sheila

For us, I have to go with the one that is within a reasonable distance which means BJ's. We don't have a Costco anywhere around us and Sam's Club is way further than any BJ's which are already a 45 minute drive.

With the cost of gas the drive to the club stores almost aren't worth the savings anymore for us.

Thanks for the input! I am in fair driving distance to all three. I may go with BJ's this time because they accept coupons and see how it goes.

We belong to Costco and have gone into Sam's with a guest pass to look around. I think Costco has better products and a better selection. I also think their customer service is better.

I have both Costco and Sam's Club, but if only one, it would be Costco.

Another thing that you have to look at is at what level of membership you are interested in. We have an executive membership at Costco. That costs $100.00, but gives you a check back each year for 2% of your purchases, Our check back pays for our membership. Sam's club has just started their version of this membership, but I don't think it includes cash back.

In addition, at Costco you can apply for their AMEX card. You can use it to charge purchases at Costco as well as at most other places you need a charge card for. I believe it is the only charge card accepted at Costco. The AMEX card reward program is a check to Costco for 1-3 % back on what you buy. The check can be cashed at Costco for cash so need not be used there. We got back about $550.00 this year. That is free money.

I think Sam's Cub accepts Mastercard. So that would include whatever your card program is.

I wish we had BJ's here. The thought of being able to use coupons is a good one!

You can try Sam's Club for the next 3 mos. for only $10. A good way to see if it works for you. Personally, I got rid of my Sam's membership because the lines were always so long there. Very annoying.

Currently have BJ's and Costco and like them both. Costco is great for pre-made fresh meals, Kirkland diapers, etc. Warehouses overlap on many items (so I buy when convenient of have a coupon). BJ's is handy for milk, Uno's pizza, birthday cakes (when you don't want the huge Cosctco sheet cake), Pediasure, etc. So much of warehouse shopping is YMMV---if you can, go with a friend who has a membership and see what works best for you. GL!

You can try Sam's Club for the next 3 mos. for only $10. A good way to see if it works for you.

How can you get 3 months for $10, I'd like to check it out but since I'm single I don't know if it would be worth it.

We belong to Costco and have had a BJ's membership in the past. I like both stores for different things, but if I had to choose one it would be Costco.

- prices are generally better
- more special items and demo's, I think I would keep my membership for the David's Cookies demo alone! My BJ's rarely had samples or demos.
- rotisserie chicken is better and cheaper
- better coupons (Costco coupons, can't us manufacturer)

What I like about BJ's

- more name brand grocery items, like purdue chicken
- packages are slightly smaller, which is better for smaller families
- fresh deli section (my costco doesn't have)
- gas station (my costco doesn't have)

How can you get 3 months for $10, I'd like to check it out but since I'm single I don't know if it would be worth it.

It's a special they run every summer. I just rec'd a big flyer in my newspaper about it last week as well. You have to sign up by June 5th and it's good for 10 weeks.

None...

Why should I pay for the opportunity to shop at a store where my grocery stores carry club pack items at a lower cost?

Liquor, milk, bread are all cheaper at Wegmans.

We don't have BJ's in our area.

We used to have a Costco card before we moved across town, mostly because it was the only one close by. After we moved to our current location, the Sam's was a couple miles closer than the Costco. So I re-investigated both and did some comparing.

We switched to Sam's because:
1. Closer to us
2. Membership price: Sam's/$35, Costco/$50
3. Better hours: (for business membership) Sam's opens at 7 a.m.; Costco doesn't open until 10
4. Very similar selection for almost everything I would buy there

My sister and best friend have Costco memberships and I occasionally go with them, but honestly the only thing I miss from Costco is the Einstein Bagels!

PHXscuba

I have found that the actual store makes a difference. At our old house we had Costco and Sam's. We 'toured' both and chose Costco. The Sam's was kind of old and nasty, had long lines, etc. Ended up loving Costco.

Where we moved, there is no Costco and Sam's was pretty far away. So we had no membership anywhere for 3 years. They just opened a new Sam's in our area so we figured we'd give it a try. Of course it is clean because it's brand new, no lines, etc. We really loved Costco at our old house and I never thought I would like Sam's but honestly I am quite impressed and I think I now like Sam's better than I liked Costco!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter