Which weekend is better to visit DL?

nemofans

DIS Veteran
Which weekend is more likely to have lesser crowds: Veterans day weekend (Nov. 11-13) or MLK weekend (Jan. 14-16)?

I would say MLK, and there is a good reason, the parks are much better over Veterans Weekend. In January big rehabs beging because it's during the longest stretch of slow time in the parks. In November for that weekend the Christmas Season will begin. All the rides will be open and the park decorated for the season. This causes bigger crowds. Regulars want to come in to see the special holiday decorations on HM and IASW.

MLKJ, but for a completely different reason than stated above. Not everyone has MLKJ off, but nearly everyone has Veteran's Day off.

HTH,
Dreams

MLKJ, but for a completely different reason than stated above. Not everyone has MLKJ off, but nearly everyone has Veteran's Day off.

HTH,
Dreams

Last November, there were level 1 park closures on the Friday of Veterans Day weekend. MLK weekend has never been that bad, but the weather is much more iffy. We went a few years ago on MLK and it was busy but doable. Beware, though that there is a big conference in town on MLK weekend (NAMM) that cause rates at local hotels to skyrocket. If you need a hotel room, it is probably already too late to book for reasonable rates for 2011. -- Suzanne

Veteran's Day marks the beginning of holiday season at DL, so it is generally very busy. Any weekend, these days, is busy at DL, but I would say that between the two, MLK would be the better option.

HTH,
Dreams

Where I work is an exception no Vets day or MLK day...and I am a Vet.

Jack

HTH,
Dreams

Huh? IMO, many more people have of MLK than Vets Day. My company, for example, has a very liberal holiday/vacation schedule. We have off MLK day, but not Veteran's Day. It seems to me that very few people that don't work for the guvm't or a bank have off Veterans Day.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that Veterans Day will be busier, because of the start of the holiday season.

-Bob

That's what I was afraid of. We don't care about being there for holiday decorations & we also don't mind if the weather is cooler. Preferably not too rainy though. We ALWAYS prefer less crowds. I was planning Nov. 2011, but now thinking Jan. 2012 is a better option.
Thanks for the help!

NAMM conference? I knew there had to be a reason I couldn't find a reasonable hotel room! due to some, ahem, "mistakes" on flights on my part, we had to reschedule our vacation and in mid-December I started looking for our hotel for the MLK 2011 only to find may of the Harbor spots were fully booked or had higher rates. Of course this fact coupled with some good 35% off rack rates for the Grand C. convinced me there wasn't that much difference between $160 for across the street and $220 for the Grand, :rotfl:so we are booked our first Grand Calif. stay ever! :banana: Of course now I think that all 3 hotels are fully booked, at least that was the case when I re-checked last week.

I am wondering if the conference folks will be busy at their conference, and that the lack of closer cheaper hotels will mean not insanely crowded? But then, we can handled some crowds, and with any luck, it will still be rainy too! ;)

I was there for Vet Day weekend this year and it was pretty insane crowd-wise. It was the first weeked of holiday decorations, as it usually is, and so everyone was there. MLK weekend shouldn't be as bad because it is after the holidays and the decorations will most likely be down by then so the draw won't be as great. As for the weather, either weekend is just as likely to be rainy in my opinon, though probably more rainy in January. I think rainy days are the best time to go because only a few rides are shut down when it rains (only the outside ones) and there is usually only a few people there. Bring an unbrella and you will be fine. The rain usually doesn't last the whole day and isn't very strong, most times it is little more than sprinkles.

Wow, we would not be happy going when it's really crowded. I didn't realize it would be that crowded on Vets day. Rain isn't as big of a deal as long as it isn't storms. We have gone to WDW twice in Feb & there is usually rain. Okay, I have switched to Jan!
Thanks everyone!

So I checked the dates of the NAMM conference in 2012 b/c I am an obsessive planner. It is not on MLK weekend in 2012, but the following weekend. So it doesn't start til after we leave. Yay!

NAMM conference? I knew there had to be a reason I couldn't find a reasonable hotel room! due to some, ahem, "mistakes" on flights on my part, we had to reschedule our vacation and in mid-December I started looking for our hotel for the MLK 2011 only to find may of the Harbor spots were fully booked or had higher rates. Of course this fact coupled with some good 35% off rack rates for the Grand C. convinced me there wasn't that much difference between $160 for across the street and $220 for the Grand, :rotfl:so we are booked our first Grand Calif. stay ever! :banana: Of course now I think that all 3 hotels are fully booked, at least that was the case when I re-checked last week.

I am wondering if the conference folks will be busy at their conference, and that the lack of closer cheaper hotels will mean not insanely crowded? But then, we can handled some crowds, and with any luck, it will still be rainy too! ;)

Going the same time (and leaving from DIA! funny if we are on same flights!) but I didn't start planning til just before Christmas, and I couldn't find a thing under $255 across the street. So we are at the GC too... for us it turned out cheaper. Still over what I had budgeted for hotel expense, but I am always willing to go over if I can stay there. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter