Which Week would you go??? HELP!!

shari2shop

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's
In the begining we were planning a vacation to WDW for a week in December, before Christmas. Now I am starting to consider the first part of Jan. too.

We are taking a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old. The MOST important thing to us will be the low crowds. Yes, Christmas decorations will be nice but walking onto rides with little ones will be even better!!!

So, Which week do you think will have the lowest crowds???

Dec 8 - 12, Dec 15 - 19 or Jan 5 - 9????

We will be doing the driving the weekend before and after.

Also, we could actually go a little earlier than Jan 5. When will all the Christmas/new years rush be finished???

I really appreciate your help and info!!!
:wave:
Shari

I think Dec 8-12 would be best. Crowds will probably be lowest (although Jan 5-9 may be the same crowd level). Not only are the crowds low, but the Xmas activities are still going on: MVMCP, decorations, CP, etc. By Jan 5 they will not have any holiday activities anymore.

We have been Jan 4-9. The crowds were low, but it was cold. We didn't have to wait for really anything. It hit the 30's at night (when you are on a ride outside that is cold). Make sure you take coats and mittens.

Although my hubby and I have only been in Sept (2002 for our honeymoon) all the books we have read say that the absolute lowest crowds are after New Years through the beginning of February. Though crowds drop off after Thanksgiving, because of the holiday season they still aren't down to where they are in January, Sept, & Oct.
Keep in mind however that the Average High Temp in Jan is only 73degrees and Dec is only 75degrees. That is also the time when most of the water parks are closed for refurbishment so, if this is something that you wish to do with your family, you may want to look at that ahead of time.
Good news is that December has the lowest monthly average of rainfall (about 1.9") followed by Jan (only about 2.25").
There's a lot to consider when thinking about when to plan your vac but the biggest thing is to go at a time that will be the most fun for your family. There's no way to plan for absolutely everything.

For more info on times of year:

www.passporter.com/wdw/bestoftimes.htm

Dec. you will be able to see all the decorations and still have low crowds.

I live in the Windy City and it is soo nice to be able to be OUTSIDE and watch the parades and see decorations without being FROZEN ;)

Early Dec!!! My girl friend went over a Thanksgiving week-end and came home early Dec and said that once Thanksgiving week-end was over, so were the crowds. Still warmish too. And you can get into the Christmas spirit that way.

I love going middle/end of January - Leaving in Midwest anything has to better then 20 below windchills.
Went this past- Jan 25-Feb 1 - mid 60's to high 70's ---- chilly swimming but crowds great - no wait - characters were out and about and jacket in morning and by noon shorts for us midwesterns.
We did learn was hoping to get 2002 christmas ornaments but were gone - guess take them to outlet malls.

Early December is a great time to go and the weather is still usually warm enough for us northerners to go swimming. I think your two would love all the Christmas lights and such.

Shari2shop, we've been to WDW at both these times (beg. of Dec. and after New Years) and both have their pros and cons. In Dec. you get the benefit of all the decorations and the optional holiday activites (when we went it was the Jolly Holidays dinner and the Very Merry Christmas Party), however, if this is your children's first time to WDW, they'll find enough enchantment with the parks' regular magic! Also, our DD was 4 when we went in Dec. and we have picture after picture of her sleeping happily in her stroller through the J. Holidays dinner, at the Christmas Party, the Christmas parade!

We arrived in WDW this past January 2nd, and after the New Years crowd left (which was quite large, let me tell you--huge crowds in the MK on our first day) we felt like we had the parks to ourselves. The weather during the day was bright, sunny, and cool--great for walking around and being outside--and we could pretty much get on whatever we wanted without much of a wait at all. The downside, though, was the evening temps. We like to close the parks every night, and we needed winter jackets, gloves, and hoods to sit through Phantasmic and the later fireworks shows! As far as swimming goes, my DD (then 12) swam at our resort pool, but neither my husband nor I would do more than watch! Just not warm enough!

The Christmas crowds and rush are not done until the weekend after New Years. We arrived on the 2nd this past year and like I said above, it was a total mob scene! More and more people left as we went into the weekend, making every day more manageable and enjoyable for us.

Hope this gives you some food for thought. Enjoy your trip planning!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter