• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Universal Park/HP is your favorite?!

My favorite park and HP area is IoA/ Hogsmeade. I prefer the rides in IoA and I even prefer Hogsmeade over Diagon Alley (but I LOVE gringott's so much more than FJ). I prefer the Three Broomsticks over the Leaky Cauldron. Hogsmeade also has the Hippogriff Coaster and Dragon Challenge. I love the themes in IoA more than the ones in US. I think I am in the minority, though.

You can't go wrong with either park! Both parks and HP areas are amazing.

Take a look at the rides in each park. IoA has three water rides plus a ride that "squirts" you, so if you hate water rides, then the Studios may be a better choice. Do you have younger kids? I think IoA has more for little kids than Studio's (someone correct me if I wrong!). I think IoA also has more coasters- Hulk, Dragon Challenge, and Hippogriff.

Hogsmeade has three rides (FJ, Hippogriff, DC), whereas Diagon Alley has only one (Gringotts). But Diagon Alley has more shops.

The others can give you more details about the differences between the two parks.

Last edited:
I could never choose just one.
If you made me choose, it'd be Diagon Alley. It's so much bigger. I like the Leaky Cauldron better. Knockturn Alley rules. The dragon. The Knight Bus. I like the rides over on US side better but I sure would miss some IOA ones.

1-1 !!! Lol This is gonna kill me. Thanks for your opinions! I do have a 6 & 9 year old, as well as a 16 year old and a 35 year old big kid. Lol

How tall is your 6 year old? If they're not 48" then they wouldn't be able to ride FJ and if I could only do one park that would play into it and I'd do Diagon Alley.

But I like FJ better than Gringotts

Eh, Forbidden Journey is my favorite Harry Potter ride... But after much debate in my head, I would have to say Universal.

I feel as if there is a lot more on that side in terms of the Universal park when it comes to attractions and more diversity. There is something for every age group there. Also, there are better accommodations as some of the rides offer stationary seating for people who may not be able to handle certain things during the ride / show. Also, if you do not want to get wet (more importantly soaked) Universal is best, as about a third of Islands of Adventure rides would be out. In general, I always tend to spend more time on the Universal end when I visit as most of my favorites are on that side.

Also, even if FJ is my favorite Harry Potter related ride, Diagon Alley is breathtaking compared to Hogsmeade in my opinion. I literally was in awe the first time I seen it. There is also a lot of little things you can discover in the park you cannot in the other. Hidden gems you could say. Such as if you go into Borgin and Burkes you can touch the Vanishing Cabinet and not only hear the bird chirping, but feel the bird inside it. Also, there is far more shops to explore (as almost all the shops in Hogsmeade are just for display). Ollivanders is much bigger. Gringotts is great. Honestly, the only downside is you won't be able to ride the Hogwarts Express (since it's for park hoppers only).

I think it depends on when you are going and the makeup of your group. IOA is more in your face, loud with theming. There is nothing subtle about it at all. If you have kids in the 42-52 inch range (especially if you have a coaster fan that is 51 but not 54 inches tall) then US is a better bet. At 51 you can ride EVERYTHING. If it is going to be really busy, then I would also lean towards US. There just seems to be more space. If it is REALLY hot then perhaps IOA for the water rides. Both are great parks. There really isn't a "wrong" choice.

I you have active kids between 6 and 12 then Camp Jurassic is the best themed play area in Orlando. But the Ball Room at US is also a good place to blow off steam.

Like a lot of the posters who have weighed in, Diagon Alley is better than Hogsmeade, but from a ride perspective, FJ is better than Gringotts. Gringotts is a story with some ride elements, FJ is ride with story elements.

As far as which park is better, I'll take US over IOA, especially if you don't want to get wet. IOA's attraction offering isn't nearly as good as US if you don't want to ride the water rides. Plus, US never feels crowded, but IOA always feels crowded because of the narrow walkways with many bottlenecks (the one by Kong is the worst, with the one outside of Sinbad before yo enter Hogsmeade is the runner up for worst).

My favorite HP area is hands down Diagon Alley! I will admit I cried the first time I walked through those bricks. There is so much detail and atmosphere jammed in there! Olivander's was incredible, the Leaky Cauldron was so much fun, and there is a dragon and Knockturn Alley. Diagon Alley really feels real. Hogsmeade is great, but it's missing something that really gives it that true Wizarding World feel. Maybe it's because the shops are so short, or that there's so many people in the street there, but to me Hogsmeade feels like you're still in a theme park. I would chose Diagon Alley over Hogsmeade anytime.

But FJ is my favorite ride! I like it so much more than Gringotts. The queue, the story, seeing everything at Hogwarts - that was a dream come true! FJ is the only ride I've ever gotten off of and immediately gotten back into the queue.

For the parks in general, I do prefer IOA over US. The Marvel Super Hero Island is great - and that Spider Man ride! And now Hulk is back open as well.

Either way you chose, you'll all have a blast!

Just went to both and granddaughters who are big HP lovers preferred Diagon Alley and Gringotts. I also much prefer the attractions other than Harry Potter that are in the US park rather over Island of Adventure. We are not a big water ride fans, and there are so many water rides in IofA. I think the rides in US are more geared towards the ages of your children.

Have a great day whatever you choose!

If HP is the focus of trip & you need to pick only one park, I'd vote Studios. Plenty there to keep 6 & 9 y.o.'s occupied.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter