Which tour do you prefer?

Blackbeltdisneygirl

Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!
Hi everyone! My husband and I are going on our first trip without the kids this April and want to take advantage of the time without the kids to try out a tour. I did a search to see what others were saying about the tours, but didn't really find what information I wanted. We are curious which tours you have gone on, why you loved them, and what you didn't like about them. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

My favorite so far has been the Segway tour at EPCOT. Getthe early one and you will have the park to yourself to tour on the Segways. Now you also get a breakfast with it. It is a bit more expensive than some of the others but WELL worth is.
I will let you know about the Wild Africa Trek in a week and a half when I get back.

We did the Walt Disney: Marceline to Magic Kingdom Tour, it was our first tour and we loved it. In the park early, rode snow white once normal and once with the lights on. and then pooh. Then hit TTA and ended with COP. All with backstory and little stories about the rides and the Tech that went in to the rides. We are going to do Keys to the kindom for our x-mas gift to each other in 3 weeks.

Not sure what ride they do now that snow white is gone though.:confused3

We've done the Segway tour through Epcot two times and Keys to the Kingdom and Backstage Magic each one time. I thoroughly enjoyed all those tours. Backstage Magic was an all day tour through the four major parks and was really interesting. It was, however, a full day. That would have been too much Disney for my DH, so I'm glad it was just me and DD who was 17 at the time. She and I also did the KTTK tour and it was very enjoyable. That is a half day tour.

In order, I'd rate them: BM, KTTK, Segway at Epcot.

I agree with the prior poster who said to reserve the earliest tour at Epcot if you do the Segway. It makes a difference.

DH and I did the KTTK tour in Oct/12 and really enjoyed it. If I ever have the opportunity to go again w/o kids I think I'd like to "Dine with an Imagineer." Enjoy your trip.

Thanks guys! I am excited to learn how much everyone has enjoyed the tours. We have wanted to do Behind the Seeds tour every trip as our kids are homeschooled, but without the kids, we won't do it. I can't wait to see more replies! Thanks for weighing in!

We loved the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Our guide was so knowledgeable and gave us so many insights to MK. We walked on to the Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. Lunch was included at the Columbia Harbor House, and it was yummy. If you start the tour before rope drop, you get Main Street all to yourself.

I was just looking into them, and I think after your suggestions I may try the KTTK tour and maybe even the Marceline to Magic Kingdom Tour. We have 9 days, so if we want, we can do both. I like the look of the segway tour and some of the others too, so I guess I will have to do them later on!

We are empty nesters and do at least one tour each trip.

Our first was the Steam Engines. Hubby is a train nut and it was a good rookie tour as it was also the cheapest.

We've done Segways at epcot twice. Best if done early so you don't have to dodge "tourists" on the way back. It is amazing how people just ignore you and just walk out in front of you. We want to do the Wilderness Segway someday.

Keys to the Kingdom was cool. I finally got to see the tunnels. But I was most impressed with the trash collection system.

W've done the Backstage Animal Safari twice. One time we got to go in the elephant building and saw the 2 month old baby elephant. The food prep area was really interesting. We were supposed to be back at the hospital in time to see one of the Gorillas get his annual check up. But the keepers were unable to collect him. We also did the mini safari that used to be available to concierge guests.

We did Wild by Design at the Animal Kingdom once. I learrned a lot about the design of the park. Pay attention to the different path surfaces.

The only tour we really didn't fing outstanding was the one of Futureworld in Epcot. There really wasn't that much to see.

We've also had lunch with an imagineer twice. We are signed up to do it again in may. (last time there was a lady in our group that had done lunch 36 times. She was the one who requested the imagineer we got. He was one of 3 she hadn't ate with yet)

In May we will be doing the Wild Africa Trek. I am so excited!!!!

We are empty nesters and do at least one tour each trip.

Our first was the Steam Engines. Hubby is a train nut and it was a good rookie tour as it was also the cheapest.

We've done Segways at epcot twice. Best if done early so you don't have to dodge "tourists" on the way back. It is amazing how people just ignore you and just walk out in front of you. We want to do the Wilderness Segway someday.

Keys to the Kingdom was cool. I finally got to see the tunnels. But I was most impressed with the trash collection system.

W've done the Backstage Animal Safari twice. One time we got to go in the elephant building and saw the 2 month old baby elephant. The food prep area was really interesting. We were supposed to be back at the hospital in time to see one of the Gorillas get his annual check up. But the keepers were unable to collect him. We also did the mini safari that used to be available to concierge guests.

We did Wild by Design at the Animal Kingdom once. I learrned a lot about the design of the park. Pay attention to the different path surfaces.

The only tour we really didn't fing outstanding was the one of Futureworld in Epcot. There really wasn't that much to see.

We've also had lunch with an imagineer twice. We are signed up to do it again in may. (last time there was a lady in our group that had done lunch 36 times. She was the one who requested the imagineer we got. He was one of 3 she hadn't ate with yet)

In May we will be doing the Wild Africa Trek. I am so excited!!!!

I am excited to get this taste of what it will be like to be empty nesters someday! I am so happy to have this time with my kids, but sometimes we just need a break. I guess a 9 day break in 15 years is well deserved! Haha! I do look forward to being able to go on more trips someday, but at the same time don't want my kiddos to grow up too fast!!! We will be young when the kids are grown though as I had my first kid at 19. I hope you are enjoying your time together! It seems like you are!

Thanks for all the info on tours! I am excited to try them all at some point!

I did Keys to the Kingdom and Undiscovered Future World and loved them both.

Got really great guides both times and I really can't say which one I liked better, they were both very good, both went backstage a lot. I guess Undiscovered Future World maybe goes backstage more and has more info, but it could be the guide I got.

What I really liked is seeing all the backstage areas and information about the parks, rides, etc. You also get to feel a little like a celebrity by going to a couple of rides without waiting in line and sometimes using the entrance that celebrities use.

One thing with both tours, be prepared to do a lot of walking. Other than that, I can't remember anything negative to say (not that walking is negative, but it's good to be rested and pain free when you go so you can enjoy the tour better).

I also did the Behind the Seeds tour, which I also really liked but that's not for everyone since I think you would be bored if you aren't interested in gardening and stuff like that.

I have done Keys To The Kingdom, Backstage Magic, Behind the Scenes at Animal Kingdom, The Sunrise Safari Tour, and Diving with the Dolphins.

All of them are great in their own way.

Diving with Dolphins is in Epcot and it was a lot of fun, but not as much Dolphin interaction as I had hoped. It's a lot about learning how they care for, treat, and train the dolphins. Then you get in a wetsuit and go on top of the Living Seas Tank. You're in about 3 feet of water and they bring a dolphin out for you to pet and take a picture with.. and that's it. It was really cool being in the actual tank. Especially since the fish are not afraid of you and will come up and bump your leg to see if you're edible.

The Backstage Animal Kingdom tour is very informative. You see how they keep the animals, learn about feeding and care, and you get to go into the actual animal hospital. You also get on KS without waiting in the big line.

The Sunrise Safari Tour was AWESOME, but you can only get it if you are staying at AKL. Basically, you take the KSJ ride before the park opens, when the animals are just let out of their pens. They're frisky and very much awake. You don't have the corny story going on, so the guide can tell you a lot about the ride itself. Then you have breakfast at one of the restaurants and you're in the park when it opens.

Backstage Magic goes to all 4 parks and behind the scenes of several attractions. It's a long day.. from about 7am to 4pm. Lunch is at the Ft. Wilderness Lodge. I enjoyed it, but our tour guide seemed to be phoning it in. You don't get on any attractions, but you do get premium viewing for Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade as that's the end of the tour. You see a lot of the support facilities.. costume shop, ride repair, gardening and all that's very interesting.

Keys To The Kingdom was the best. Lot's of backstage stuff, we rode a few things (Jungle Cruise and HM and, I think, Pirates) Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. The Utilidors are amazing (you see them on the Backstage Magic Tour, also). I really loved seeing the the backside of MK and learning a lot of the little known history of the park.

I think I would rank them in favorite order as:
KTTK, BM, Sunrise, Backstage AK, and Dolphins.

Also, KTTK and both backstage tours are a LOT of walking. At least with Backstage Magic there's a bus to take you to the different parks and they provide water on the trip.

I did the KTTK tour in December of 2012 and let me just say... WOW! It was the only tour I've ever been on, but for me, it will be hard to top. I would highly recommend taking this tour. It was a lot of walking, which was a little hard for my dad who is disabled, but that was the only downside. Other than that, we had a great tour guide who shared a wealth of information that I have never heard before, even being the "Disney freak" that I am. Even the fact that it rained during the tour wasn't enough to make me upset. I'm sure whatever tour you choose you'll have a blast though! :thumbsup2

Hello, I'm so new to this. My wife and I are planning a trip to WDW in October. These tours sound great and I think I would love to do one of them. How do I go about booking one? Do I do it when at WDW or Should I do it in advance? We booked our trip through a Disney travel agent. Thank you in advance.

What is nice is that the tours are so different that I find it hard to say which one I liked the most. Backstage Magic is nice because you are seeing 3 parks, one in Animal Kingdom lets you see where the veterinarians work with the animals etc, the Segway tour at Fort Wilderness was nice because you are away from the hustle and bustle of the park...such a variety. Maybe see if there is anything special going on when you are there in April. We did two that are exclusive to Christmas so maybe there is something in April if that is during the garden festival. The free resort tours aren't bad either. I was very impressed with the one at WL. One of the least expensive is at The Land. It was several years ago that I did that one but we enjoyed it because we enjoy gardening etc.

Hello, I'm so new to this. My wife and I are planning a trip to WDW in October. These tours sound great and I think I would love to do one of them. How do I go about booking one? Do I do it when at WDW or Should I do it in advance? We booked our trip through a Disney travel agent. Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the dis.

...RESERVATIONS are required for most tours. They can be made by calling 1-407-WDW-TOUR (1-407-939-8687) between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends and holidays. You will need to reserve your tour with a credit card. Most of the tours DO NOT include park admission -- you'll have to provide your own. Be sure to ask about this when you call...

http://allears.net/btp/tours.htm

I did Keys to the Kingdom and Undiscovered Future World and loved them both.

Got really great guides both times and I really can't say which one I liked better, they were both very good, both went backstage a lot. I guess Undiscovered Future World maybe goes backstage more and has more info, but it could be the guide I got.

What I really liked is seeing all the backstage areas and information about the parks, rides, etc. You also get to feel a little like a celebrity by going to a couple of rides without waiting in line and sometimes using the entrance that celebrities use.

One thing with both tours, be prepared to do a lot of walking. Other than that, I can't remember anything negative to say (not that walking is negative, but it's good to be rested and pain free when you go so you can enjoy the tour better).

I also did the Behind the Seeds tour, which I also really liked but that's not for everyone since I think you would be bored if you aren't interested in gardening and stuff like that.
Thank you for helping me! I don't mind walking, I just bring some vicodin for my feet issues! Haha! It sounds like KTTK is gonna be awesome! We are going to do BTS when the kids are with us b/c they are homeschooled. I know my son will complain, but he complains about most things!

I have done Keys To The Kingdom, Backstage Magic, Behind the Scenes at Animal Kingdom, The Sunrise Safari Tour, and Diving with the Dolphins.

All of them are great in their own way.

Diving with Dolphins is in Epcot and it was a lot of fun, but not as much Dolphin interaction as I had hoped. It's a lot about learning how they care for, treat, and train the dolphins. Then you get in a wetsuit and go on top of the Living Seas Tank. You're in about 3 feet of water and they bring a dolphin out for you to pet and take a picture with.. and that's it. It was really cool being in the actual tank. Especially since the fish are not afraid of you and will come up and bump your leg to see if you're edible.

The Backstage Animal Kingdom tour is very informative. You see how they keep the animals, learn about feeding and care, and you get to go into the actual animal hospital. You also get on KS without waiting in the big line.

The Sunrise Safari Tour was AWESOME, but you can only get it if you are staying at AKL. Basically, you take the KSJ ride before the park opens, when the animals are just let out of their pens. They're frisky and very much awake. You don't have the corny story going on, so the guide can tell you a lot about the ride itself. Then you have breakfast at one of the restaurants and you're in the park when it opens.

Backstage Magic goes to all 4 parks and behind the scenes of several attractions. It's a long day.. from about 7am to 4pm. Lunch is at the Ft. Wilderness Lodge. I enjoyed it, but our tour guide seemed to be phoning it in. You don't get on any attractions, but you do get premium viewing for Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade as that's the end of the tour. You see a lot of the support facilities.. costume shop, ride repair, gardening and all that's very interesting.

Keys To The Kingdom was the best. Lot's of backstage stuff, we rode a few things (Jungle Cruise and HM and, I think, Pirates) Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. The Utilidors are amazing (you see them on the Backstage Magic Tour, also). I really loved seeing the the backside of MK and learning a lot of the little known history of the park.

I think I would rank them in favorite order as:
KTTK, BM, Sunrise, Backstage AK, and Dolphins.
Oooh, great information Chuckers! Thank you! Glad you are back on the Dis! I look forward to someday doing all of those tours. Hubby wants to stay at AKL sometime, so that sounds like a great tour. They all sound awesome though!

Good information here......

http://allears.net/btp/tours.htm

http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/showcat.php?cat=66

Don;t forget the discounts....AAA, DVC, AP (15%), Disney Visa (20%).

I have taken many tours over the years, all have been great. I would start with a tour in the park you like best.
Thank you! I never thought about getting discounts!!! That is awesome! Thank you again!

Also, KTTK and both backstage tours are a LOT of walking. At least with Backstage Magic there's a bus to take you to the different parks and they provide water on the trip.
I think KTTK is our best bet even with the walking. I have feet issues like we have talked about in the past, but I have a really great plan in place for my feet now that I have gone several times and have seen what works and what doesn't. Rest helps, stretching without fail EVERY morning, changes of shoes, vicodin as soon as it starts to hurt (it is the only time I take Vic for my feet. Disney makes it a necessity), massage my feet in the hottub, bengay or some type of muscle rub at night, etc... I love hearing all about these tours! I am glad I asked!

I did the KTTK tour in December of 2012 and let me just say... WOW! It was the only tour I've ever been on, but for me, it will be hard to top. I would highly recommend taking this tour. It was a lot of walking, which was a little hard for my dad who is disabled, but that was the only downside. Other than that, we had a great tour guide who shared a wealth of information that I have never heard before, even being the "Disney freak" that I am. Even the fact that it rained during the tour wasn't enough to make me upset. I'm sure whatever tour you choose you'll have a blast though! :thumbsup2
Thanks! I am so glad to know we will enjoy ourselves! I am not one of those people who melts when it rains, so it won't "Rain on my parade" so to speak. Haha!

Oops! I missed these posts! Welcome to the Dis! You will learn everything you need to know about Disney! Feel free to ask us anything! I see Dan answered your question, so I won't reply to that a second time. I will probably book ahead of time, but they accept walk-ups as long as there is availability from what I have read. We have never done one on past trips b/c of having 5 kids. We didn't want to pay so much for something we weren't sure they would like. If we like it (I'm sure we will) then we will spend the money on the rugrats.

What is nice is that the tours are so different that I find it hard to say which one I liked the most. Backstage Magic is nice because you are seeing 3 parks, one in Animal Kingdom lets you see where the veterinarians work with the animals etc, the Segway tour at Fort Wilderness was nice because you are away from the hustle and bustle of the park...such a variety. Maybe see if there is anything special going on when you are there in April. We did two that are exclusive to Christmas so maybe there is something in April if that is during the garden festival. The free resort tours aren't bad either. I was very impressed with the one at WL. One of the least expensive is at The Land. It was several years ago that I did that one but we enjoyed it because we enjoy gardening etc.

Then one at the land is inexpensive, it is the Behind the Seeds Tour. We have a massive garden, so I thought it would be great to take the kids to it sometime. Thanks for the pointer on the special tours at certain times of year. The one question I have about the Backstage Magic tour is: Do you need hoppers to do it? We don't do hoppers. We have never wanted nor needed them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter