• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which to do? Busch Gardens or Islands of Adventure?

wdwfreak

Mouseketeer
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes ...

We have one day of our December itinerary that we can use for a park outside of WDW. We have narrowed our choices down to two: Busch Gardens or Islands of Adventure.

We have never been to either park. Our party will consist of 4 adults, so we can experience anything at either park. We're looking for the park which is the most interesting and fun, and the best value for our dollar (both are around $50). I know it's apples and oranges; BG is primarily a wild animal park with a few rides and some of the best coasters anywhere, and IOA is generally regarded as a straight-up thrill park.

We can't make up our minds, so we're asking you to help us decide. Which park do you prefer and why? As always any information you can help us with is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would personally do IOA. I refuse to go back to BG due to really unpleasant employees. We actually turned in our 2 year annual passes to BG and bought annual passes to US/IOA. We are much happier driving out to orlando and spending a day there.

I would say IOA also. Its really close to Disney so you wont have to go to far. BG had some cool coasters, so does IOA. You can get your animal fix at AK. We went to BG about 5 yrs back and that seemed like enough. This time we are trying IOA.

In addition to the poor quality of service from the Busch Garden employees, I was truly disgusted by the conditions in which the animals are being kept. Compared to the natural habitats of the animals at AK, I just couldn't stomach what I was seeing a BG. I left, and won't return.

So, IOA gets my vote too.

I have an AP for both parks. There is NO comparison. IOA is the hands down better park.

IOA is an experience, BG is just a park. The clientele, the atmosphere, BG jusst isn't what I expected at all. On the other hand, IOA I can't get enough of!

Both have their plusses but if given the choice, there is no real comparison.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say Busch Gardens. It is a considerably further drive, but I think it is so much of a better experience than IOA. I have a big thing for giraffes and I was really excited about the behind the scenes tours (extra fee) you can do at BG. I got to touch and feed different animals including giraffes. I also love BG rides. The Montu is a really awesome coaster. The Congo River Rapids is more fun than Kali at AK I think. There are dolphin and bird shows. There is a totally enclosed theater where you can watch an ice skating show (perfect on hot summer days). The Crown Colony is a nice place to eat, and you can ask for window seats and look over the savana. BG also has a railroad and still has a skyway ride which you can get a great look at animals from. The animals are not mistreated at BG as someone elluded to. Most have free spaces to roam in during the day (much the same as AK). Not to turn this into a debate but Central FL is not a natural habitat for most wild animals and no amount of prep work by a theme park can make it into natural habitats. The habitats are simulated at best. AK also has nightly holding buildings for their animals and I know I have never seen a picture of lions and rhinos in Africa sleeping in holding pens. I am not knocking AK at all. I think their animal conservation is top notch. I just think it is silly to go about regarding a theme park simulated environment as "natural". Anheuser-Busch is very interested in animal conservation and often take in sick or disabled animals to treat and release or to provide a healthy home to if release is not an option.

I would pick IOA if given the choice. The rides at IOA are on a much grander scale due to the larger sum of money that has been spent constructing them. I would sure visit BG on a follow-up visit though. The comment about animals being mistreated at BG is false. The habitats exceed federal standards and I am sure Jack Hanna would not be associated with the park if animals were in a unhealthy environment.

I am not sure why Robinrs has a problem with the clientele at BG. My family and many of my co-workers go there quite often. It is an affordable place for many in this area as they offered the rest of the year free for a one-day admission. I am sorry that my family and many of my co-workers that visit the park from the Tampa area are not up to her high standards.

If you want something closer by, then go to IOA. Busch Gardens is about an hour away, and would probably get my vote, as I like the coasters better. They have that awesome wooden racing coaster, that is wonderful, and of course, the other coasters are no slouches by any stretch of the imagination. My vote, strictly basing it on the parks would be Busch Gardens! Also, the habitats at BG far exceed federal standards, and are backed by Jack Hanna. No, they are not on the scale of Animal Kingdom, but the animals are IN NO WAY mistreated! The castmembers at the Anheiser Busch Parks are friendly and helpful. No, they aren't Disney Castmembers, but they are more friendly than those encountered at IOA. So, if convenience is not a factor, I think you will get a better all around experience at Busch Gardens!

We are a party of 4 adults (this trip) we just got back in July taking our four kids. We loved IOA so much we immediatley scheduled another trip for Labor Day weekend. I love IOA. It's clean, it's cool, and it's a ton of great fun! We love all the water rides and it's just an awesome park, i've been to busch gardens and my vote if for IOA hands down. If you give this park a nod I can say if your not planning a visit back before you exit the gates there's something wrong! We love PBH and IOA/US so much! I like disney but there's just something more to these parks OH wait I remember FOTL!!!!!!!:p Have a wonderful trip and let us know what you all decided on.

Originally posted by Buschfan
It is an affordable place for many in this area as they offered the rest of the year free for a one-day admission.

That is precisely the WORST thing about BG. Way too crowded with people who got in free! On our last vacation every other attraction was almost empty, but when we did Busch Gardens we did not get our money's worth because so many crowds made it impossible to do everything in the one day we had. Notwithstanding, we are going back this year to try Howl-O-Scream and hope THAT is not too crowded!! Plus I am ponying up the extra $10.95 each (plus lodging, less expensive than Orlando area) for a second day on the assumption it will be too crowded to do everything in one day.

Which park had Dudley Doright? We got more soaked and uncomfortable on that ride than any other.

As for IOA, we not only had time to cover that park, but half of Universal on the same day last vacation (Feb.)

Cheers :)

:p I would go with IOA. Then again, I have never been to Busch Gardens... IOA is great.

Originally posted by Pixie_Dust

Which park had Dudley Doright? We got more soaked and uncomfortable on that ride than any other.

Cheers :)

That would be IOA. Isn't that ride a killer?! :p

IOA ALL THE WAY! Our family has been to both parks and I was less than thrilled with BG. They have a couple cool coasters but really so does IOA. IMHO, BG simply cannot compare to IOA. Actually out of all the parks in Florida we all like IOA the best by far. It's a beautiful park with fantastic rides and themeing that cannot be beat. Your walking into and through the storybooks. The food in our experience was far superior at IOA. We ate at the Hospitality House and it left a lot to be desired. Actually the only thing I really liked about BG was the Ice Show. For me I have to have that special feeling and it just wasn't there at BG, granted BG has it's good points but it's just not for us. The ambience at IOA is a big plus for us. We just LOVE IT!

I've read some BG bashing here, keep in mind BG is a true ZOO
with 4-5 times as many animals as AK. The rides at BG are a sidebar IMHO. True, BG lacks the standard disney sterilization that AK offers. but in exhibit comparison, AK stands in BG's shadow.

IOA is state of the art. The spiderman ride is unequaled anywhere. Appropriately named by conde nast as the best thrill ride in the world, it deserves that accolade.

Overall, comparing IOA to BG is apples to oranges. It depends on
which taste you prefer. Enjoy!

I would definately HAVE to choose IOA. Here are a few reasons why...when we went to BG we got STUCK on one of the big rollercoasters (I can't remember the name). We had to climb out of the car and walk down the stairs on the first big hill. It was an experience though, one not too many people get to do. So we were given a front of the line pass, and went to go on the Rino Rally which then right at that moment we went to go on, it too broke. So we walked to the entrance and left. We were not impressed. Also we fed the lories and because sooo many people were feeding, we hardly got a chance to feed them ourselves (maybe the should limit the # of nectar cups they sell).

It's a tough decision to make if you only have the one free day.

If I had to make a choice it would probably be IOA because I just can't get enough of the place.

We have done Busch Gardens every time we have been over (4 so far) and I am really looking forward to trying Rhino Rally next year. Busch Gardens has a lot of really big rides to try out, in fact the park has something for everyone.

If you do go to Busch make sure you get there early as it is a very full day and do not rely on the bus service - we did last time and didn't get there until gone 11am which meant we didn't have that much time there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter