Which St. Thomas/ St. John trip for young 1st time snorkeler?

SpaceSquirrel

Mouseketeer
Hello, we're wanting to do one of the snorkel adventures in St. John or St. Thomas and it will be our 6 year old's first snorkel trip.
We are getting him used to putting his head under water w/ a cheap snorkel in our hot tub :rolleyes1but I think something w/ more mellow waters would be best, any recommendations?
Thank you!

I did a snorkel excursion on a Royal Caribbean cruise and we went to Trunk Bay on St. Johns. You walk right into the water from the beach to snorkel instead of off of the back of a ship as some other areas. Water was calm. I would definitely recommend trunk bay for his first snorkel excursion.

If you're wanting to do a guided snorkel excursion through Disney, I can't help you.
But one of the excursions available is ST59 St. John on your own. The ferry leaves right from the ship pier, travels to St. John, allows you to have 2-3 hrs on your own on the island, and then you ferry back to the ship. Not as much to "figure out" as getting a taxi to Red Hook and taking the public ferry to/from St. John (although that is always an option).
I say this because Maho Bay in St. John is the PERFECT beach for a first time snorkeler. Both of our sons (now 15 & 12) had their first experiences there as preschoolers. I have snorkeled there many, many times and have always snorkeled with turtles and huge schools of fish. The beach is quiet and it has a lovely sand & sea grass bottom (so you won't see dramatic coral formation or colors), but it is also safe to put your feet down, if needed, without damaging any sea life. There are no waves to speak of and the entry is very gradual. Off to the sides there are rocky areas with coral if more experienced snorkelers want variety.
I know there are calm bays on St. Thomas as well, but Maho would be my choice for a first timer.

I also vote for trunks bay on St Johns. DIY is ridiculously easy. The ferry runs hourly. We took the taxi but if the excursion ntmec mentioned above is low cost please compare. I might think after disney takes their markup you might consider the DIY

If you're wanting to do a guided snorkel excursion through Disney, I can't help you.
But one of the excursions available is ST59 St. John on your own. The ferry leaves right from the ship pier, travels to St. John, allows you to have 2-3 hrs on your own on the island, and then you ferry back to the ship. Not as much to "figure out" as getting a taxi to Red Hook and taking the public ferry to/from St. John (although that is always an option).
I say this because Maho Bay in St. John is the PERFECT beach for a first time snorkeler. Both of our sons (now 15 & 12) had their first experiences there as preschoolers. I have snorkeled there many, many times and have always snorkeled with turtles and huge schools of fish. The beach is quiet and it has a lovely sand & sea grass bottom (so you won't see dramatic coral formation or colors), but it is also safe to put your feet down, if needed, without damaging any sea life. There are no waves to speak of and the entry is very gradual. Off to the sides there are rocky areas with coral if more experienced snorkelers want variety.
I know there are calm bays on St. Thomas as well, but Maho would be my choice for a first timer.

I will check this out! it looks like it's about 5 miles from where you're dropped (mongoose junction) to Maho, how would you suggest getting there? My little one would have a hard time w/ the walk back and forth

Last edited:
ntmce and remlap, What do you think of the ST01 snorkel trip to Trunk Bay?
Have you visited that beach?
Looks like I wouldn't need to bother w/ a taxi that way.

I think that would be a good excursion - and it looks like snorkel equipment would be provided as well.
Visually, Trunk Bay is the most gorgeous bay on the north shore of St. John, in my opinion.
However, depending on the north swell, there can be quite a break on the beach, so you may need to be extra careful on entry & exit from the water.
I suggested Maho because the position of the bay basically prevents any wave action - which makes snorkeling easier and the water stays exceptionally clear (and you're basically guaranteed turtles feeding on the sea grass there - I love those turtles!), but as far as convenience (with decent snorkeling) goes, the excursion is probably safe bet.
St. John is just so beautiful - you basically can't go wrong! Have fun!!

ntmce and remlap, What do you think of the ST01 snorkel trip to Trunk Bay?
Have you visited that beach?
Looks like I wouldn't need to bother w/ a taxi that way.

I can't comment on the DCL Excursion, as said, it's really really easy to go on your own. Just do the math both ways and have a GREAT time no matter what you decide.
Trunks Bay is beautiful. One other thing I'll throw out, if on your own, you can hop a taxi over to Cinnamon Bay if you want a change of scenery. Get two stops for one. (We actually liked Trunks better) With a bit of Google, I found a snorkel rental shop right near the ferry dock on St. Johns that we walked over to. We arrived back in time to catch an earlier ferry, but instead spent an hour having a late lunch at the restaurant overlooking the bay, and I'm ashamed to say, since officially in the USA and not roaming, all were catching up on our phones; and then caught the next ferry back and hour later. Back on St. Thomas, there were taxis waiting for us, and they asked what ship, directed us to a certain cab, and off we went.

I am not a snorkler at all but I was able to do Trunk Bay! it was so much fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter