Which signature would you pick?

amycakes

DIS Veteran
We are a family of four with children ages 10 and 12 years. We are on the DDP. I was wondering which restaurant you would pick..... Yachtman's Steakhouse or Bistro de Paris? Both are on the dining plan correct? 2TS credits per person?

Thanks,

Amy:thumbsup2

Since Bistro is new to dining plan it's hard to say. Prior, it's always been a very adult atmosphere, quiet and intimate. My kids, when that age, would not have enjoyed the formality of that restaurant. Yachtsman has always been more casual but the menu is pretty typical of any steakhouse.

I prefer Yachtsman over Bistro de Paris, but look at both of the menus online and see which looks better overall to you (individual dishes might change over time).

Service: I've had some great service at Yachtsman, and very good service at Bistro. The thing with Bistro is that my meal took over 2 hours (I was dining solo and not showing any signs of wanting to linger). So my Bistro meal progressed at a snail's pace, whereas I'd say Yachtsman is usually just right.

Ambiance: Lots of families go to Yachtsman, and it can sometimes get noisy (depending on where you're seated). However, to my surprise, Bistro de Paris was also full of families and even louder than Yachtsman (the noise factor will probably get worse now that the DDP is accepted). Also, the tables at Bistro were extremely close together, and I could hear everything my neighbors were saying. While I think Bistro has the potential to have a nice, relaxing, upscale ambiance, I prefer Yachtsman for the classic steakhouse feel and the fact that tables seem to be more spread out.

Food: Most people go to Yachtsman for the steak, a simple but well-prepared protein with some potatoes on the side. We like Yachtsman because some of its appetizers, desserts, and entrees are quite creative. In fact, I'd say the steaks have almost always been the least spectacular part of our meals here (even though they're quite good). At Bistro, expect some beautiful presentations but more classic French flavors (aka not always innovative). My food at Bistro was good, but the taste didn't really wow me.

Yachtsman....
But we also LOVE Brown Derby --

Have you ever dined there?

Bistro de Paris has always had an "adult" feel to it, in my opinion. That may change now that it's a Signature restaurant on the DDP, but I'm still not sure I'd recommend it for a 10 year old and a 12 year old. If I were you, I'd go with Yachtsman. It's the more casual of the two. I know I enjoyed it when I was 12! ;)

Since Bistro has always been very adult oriented and never really kid friendly (and hopefully it stayes that way) I would hold off on it until it starts to be used more by families on the dining plans.

With that being said, the Signatures that are more "family friendly" are YS, CG, HBD, Narcoossee's and Flying Fish due to their louder atmospheres. If you are only choosing between YS and Bistro, I would choose YS. Out of the list of 5 that I gave, I would choose Flying Fish.

Thanks everyone for all your recommendations..... Yachtsman's it is!!! Thanks Donald for the link to your reviews.

We have dined at the Derby but did not have a good meal there.... could have been what we ordered.... or just a bad day.

The Flying Fish is already on our list:goodvibes

We are staying POR but heading to the Dark Side for two days which is allowing us to take advantage of 2 signatures this time.... a nice treat for us!

Thanks again everyone,

Amy:thumbsup2

We are big fans of YSH, so that would be our suggestion. However, we have been to Bistro and throughly enjoyed it. Its a very nice meal.

In short, I don't think you'll be disappointed no matter which you chose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter