Which side trip? Legoland, Sea World, Zoo, WAP, Knott's Berry?

Mom2five

Earning My Ears
Hi! My husband and I will be bringing our 5 kids (7, 5, 3, and 1-year-old twins) to DL in October and are trying to decide what side trips (if any) we should plan. We live about an 8-hour (?) drive away (to the north), so we probably won't be doing this again any time soon. I was really pretty set on Legoland until I realized that it is ~1 hour SOUTH of DL. And, if I recall correctly, the WAP is only about another 15 minutes. I've been to the WAP before and loved it. So, maybe we should try to do that too??? Anyone have any recommendations based on the ages of our kids?

Sorry if all this has been answered countless times. Since this is our first trip to DL, I am new to this forum.

I've been to Legoland, Sea World and SD Zoo. For the ages of your kids, my pick would have to be Legoland. Our kids were 2 & 5 when we went and we had a blast! Sea World would be my 2nd choice and the zoo last. It's a really nice zoo, but big and hilly. Also, Legoland is probably the closest (besides Knotts).

Just my 2 cents.

Okay, so I am a LegoLand pusher.:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: ..but I think that would be the best choice. The WAP is amazing....but there will be nothing for the tiny ones. Feeding the ducks is the only thing my DD got into until she was about 5!
LegoLand is so geared to the under 12 set..it is a great destination. After DL, it will seem so laid back and calm. Very relaxing for a theme park!!
I personally dislike Knott's Berry...been there only once and it worked out to be foul-mouthed adolescent day! Oh, and stinky uncleaned trashcan day. (I am hoping it isn't always like that!!).
The Zoo is amazing, we go at least once a month, but again totally stroller pushing and bored 5 year old.
As an added bonus....I e-mailed you and will be happy to send you two Free Child with Paid Adult admission coupons...that is an $84 savings!!! Can't beat that!!
Oh, but no pressure! :)

Legoland!!! By far!! Honestly though, whether to do another trip on top of DL depends largely upon how many days you plan on spending at DL and how exhausted you all might be afterwards :-)

We did 3 days of Sea World followed by just one day of Legoland in April 2005. We wished we had spent one more day at Legoland, and they have added more too it since we were there. Really, your children are the perfect age to have a blast - there is plenty for each age group to do.

We have debated adding a day or two of Legoland to the end of our DL trip in September. But we were absolutely WIPED OUT after 5 days of DL last year. This time it is more like 3.5 days of DL, so maybe we wouldn't be too tired. But these are all things to keep in mind - especially when traveling with small children.

I would do DL first, then Legoland after. But keep in mind that Legoland sometimes closes during the middle of the week in off-season. So do check hours before making final plans (sorry if that is one of those annoying "DUH!" type of suggestions :-)

Thank you all for your feedback! And, Grumpyvet, thank YOU for the Legoland coupons - just got them today! :cool1: It looks like the clear winner is Legoland. Here hoping we'll still have some energy left after Disneyland...

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice. I'm in Oklahoma and want to take my 8-yr old son and 4-yr old daughter to Lego Land. I will be flying Southwest Airlines to San Diego. I was thinking about going on Labor Day weekend, but am concerned that may be a bad time. Any thoughts on that? Where should we stay? Do I need to rent a car? Where did grumpyvet get those awesome coupons? I would be so very grateful for any help. I don't travel much so it's a bit intimidating.

Legodad do you already have your airline tickets? On a holiday weekend, that would probably be the hardest thing to get a good deal on.

As for where to stay, are you looking for a place near Legoland or something down in San Diego near the beach? Any budget in mind?

I got the coupons from a San Diego Dairy Queen. I have sent out 98 of them now, and still have some. (evil chuckle, takethat LL!!) child's admission with a paying adult. So, if you are interested, PM me, and I will give you my address to send a SASE.
I don't think I 've ever gone to LL Labor day, but realistically LL at it's most crowded is nothing like DL....crowded, if that is any consolation. I have been there around CHristmas...like the 22nd or another year, the 28th, both weekdays and it wasn't horrible. SInce we go so often, if ther is more than a 10-15 minute line, we just skip the ride. So, lots of things to do if it is getting crazy and you don't feel like a 30 minute line.
So, don't miss the chance to see LL. It is fun.
Oh, coupons expire 12/20/2007, so get'em before they are gone!!

:cheer2: Amy

We actually love going to Long Beach to go to the Aquarium of the Pacific. It's only about 30 min away from Disney. The kids LOVE it (ages 12, 6, 2, 1). They can even pet the sharks!

Fortunately, I get to use Southwest Rapid Rewards for my airline tickets so there is no cost and I can book any date. I decided late last night that I'm going to pack for the kids and pick them up from School on October 17th and go straight to the airport. We'd get to San Diego around 7:35pm. After that, I'm not sure what to do! Or more specifically, where to stay.

From what I've gathered here, two full days at LegoLand would be great. That leaves me deciding to fly back on Saturday, or finding something else to do on Saturday and leaving Sunday. I am really trying to keep the costs down, and the kids have been to our zoo a million times this summer, so thought maybe the beach? Opinions would be very welcome!

grumpyvet, I tried to PM you, but I don't have enough posts to do that! Mind emailing me at disboards@cpulab.com?

legodad, consider the Comfort Inn in "Cardiff by the Sea", it's a mile from the beach and halfway between San Diego and Carlsbad. October should still be great beach weather and a third day just roaming the beach will be an Oklahoma kids dream. Cardiff is a nice clean beach and the motel has a small pool perfect for young kids like yours. Breakfast is included and it has everything that kid's like...cereals, waffles etc.

P.S. How do you get those free air tickets if you "don't travel much"????

We've been to Legoland and WAP and really enjoyed Legoland.
I was very disappointed with WAP.
LEGOLAND all the WAY!!
I want to go again!!:thumbsup2

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful comments.

tracys2cents, I use the Chase Southwest Visa card for my business purchases. Every $1,200 spent earns 1 credit. 16 credits earned within two years = 1 Award (Round-trip ticket) In other words, every $19,200 spent earns a round-trip ticket. If you earn 100 credits (spend $120,000) within a year, you earn a Companion Pass. A Companion Pass lets one person of your choice fly free when traveling with you anytime for an entire year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter