Which scooter?

clhcpaca

DIS Veteran
I will be in WDW for 15 days from Sept 21st to Oct 6th: 8 days at BLT and 7 at BWV. I need to rent a ECV and have never done this before. I have read the section about the rentals in the "sticky", but would like some advice as to what type of scooter to rent. :confused3 I saw three and four wheel ECVs and some with tillers???

At BLT, I will be with other family members, trying to keep up with them.

At BWV, I will be solo and spending most of my time at the F&WF, so just driving over to Epcot.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cindy

P.S. I am under 300 lbs, if that makes a difference.

IMO..Get a 3 wheel compared to 4 wheel. The turning radius will be much much better. Have not rented one in quite a while (have my own) but when I did I rented from Walkers and never had a problem.

The place that I have seen that has the cheapest cost is Apple Scooters. They have nice scooters. I use the type they have at home as my own personal scooter. I use the 3 wheeled version of the Pride Traveler Elite Plus scooter.

If you are going to be 50lbs or less away from the weight limit on the scooter, I recommend going up to the next higher weight level. This will almost certainly ensure that you scooter will have enough battery life for whole day.

I rent the larger 3 wheel model from Apple and love it...have used them several times and am very happy with their service and the price

Unless you have specific problems with stability or control, I would always reccomend getting a 3 wheel. They are much more manoverable, have a tighter turning radius, and have more foot room. That said, I have a friend who looks for 4 wheel because she has poor depth perception, and balance problems that sometimes cause her to not be aware that she is leaning sideways. She finds that a 4 wheel gives her more stability.

I believe the ECVs that are rented in the parks, like the ECVs in stores, are all 4 wheel heavy duty, because if you have only one model available, you aim it for the lowest common denominator. If you rent outside the park, there are typically more options available to tailor your ECV to your needs. Talk to the people at the place where you rent, they have a lot of experience in getting you the best scooter for your needs.

If you are under 300 lbs, you won't need the heavy duty model. OTOH, if you are close to the limit, and you like to spend long hours in the park without a break, you may wish to do so for the longer battery life. The heavier load it has to carry, the shorter the battery life. Bear in mind here that what I am talking about with "long hours" is 12-15 hours without a charge. One time I did find that I had to put the scooter in neutral and push it up the ramp at 3 am because it still had juice to drive on the flat, it couldn't do uphill at all. (I love those late night EMH!)

For making turns, etc. the 3-wheel scooter is the way to go. Given how crowded the parks get, you will need this functionality to maneuver easier. We just got back, rented a 3-wheel from Apple, a very professional company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter