Which School Calendars to check for local crowds?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
Can anyone help me out with which school calendars to check for local crowds? I am afraid that "hell week" may fall during our dates but I cant find much checking Orlando area school calendars for this year. I did notice that many had October 23-26 off last year but this year the same school districts seem to have Oct 14 and 28th off like they split the long weekend some. October 28th would be a Friday and make a long weekend right before Halloween so if the locals are off that day I'm afraid the parks might get slammed--am I right?

Any guesses on how bad 10/28 will affect the parks? I saw it listed on a crowd calendar for Disney parks also so I think it may be a large portion of the local schools. Work schedules keep changing and I keep having to relook at dates but I want to get something booked ASAP! Thursday 10/27-Sunday 10/30 would work for us but I am afraid of the crowd levels being a 3 day weekend for the locals!

Any guesses on how bad 10/28 will affect the parks? I saw it listed on a crowd calendar for Disney parks also so I think it may be a large portion of the local schools. Work schedules keep changing and I keep having to relook at dates but I want to get something booked ASAP! Thursday 10/27-Sunday 10/30 would work for us but I am afraid of the crowd levels being a 3 day weekend for the locals!

Weekend closest to Halloween will be slammed. It's not just the locals, many out of towners celebrate Halloween in the parks too (including Columbus Day weekend when many schools up north have long weekend breaks).

If you want to enjoy the various Halloween parties/HHN, end of September would be your best bet.

OT - Would love to hear from locals who could chime in to compare that time period's crowds with hell weekends & Halloween weekend proper.:wizard:

I am also trying to keep the room costs to a reasonable price and Thursday-Sunday is much lower than Sunday-Thursday earlier the same week. Monday and Tuesday are the highest priced nights so I am conflicted on what to book!?!

What I booked at rpr, Friday/Saturday room rates are a lot higher than my other nights stay
I have a 15 night booked for October
My Sunday thru Thursday are all the same rate and less than my weekend rates

I am not entirely local but I can tell you they changed the start date of school this year for the entire state (stupid...). We start two weeks earlier - around August 10th. That means all of our days off have also changed. This is likely what you are seeing. Oct 14th is the end of the grading period/teacher work day (last year it was the 23rd but "new and improved calendar" <----- insert sarcasm here...). Not sure why a district has the 28th off?

Our school district (in Canada) is back early too this year, only a few days but right before the long weekend?!?!

School terms are changing in parts of England too - although that might not take effect until next year - but it will possibly have an effect on crowds if they're increasing the length of half-term breaks

We were there the week before Halloween last year - 10/22-10/30 - and I didn't notice it any busier or less busier than normal. Its a moderately crowded time of year, but nowhere near Thanksgiving or Christmas time busy. We found it manageable, especially if you have EPs and a loose plan of attack.

DVC availability keeps making me second guess my dates and I cant decide! Can anyone comment on how bad they think 10/28 will be with the local kids off school. We will leave Saturday morning and could hit the parks at open on Friday to help some. Will the ride lines still be long with EP's or will it just be more crowded in general trying to get around? From checking UO hotel rates-that Monday and Tuesday are almost sold out and I am still able to book Friday and Saturday in all room types.

Hi Nkereina, The crowd calendars say 4 or 5 for Oct 30-Nov 2. How important will the EPs be do you think? We are stretching to go on this vacation now. It's attached to a conference DH will be attending. It would be a difference of about $600 which is a lot...

Don't think the Sunday or Monday will have large crowds as school will be in session and Monday is a workday for locals

I am not entirely local but I can tell you they changed the start date of school this year for the entire state (stupid...). We start two weeks earlier - around August 10th. That means all of our days off have also changed. This is likely what you are seeing. Oct 14th is the end of the grading period/teacher work day (last year it was the 23rd but "new and improved calendar" <----- insert sarcasm here...). Not sure why a district has the 28th off?
All of Florida goes back around then? This might make my day as we arrive on the 13th

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter