which rides are safe for a person with a back injury..help plz

KL1982

Earning My Ears
I am so Thankful this forum is here!!! I hope I do not bug too much with all my questions, so thanks in advance :)

So my husband has a back injury.. he is able to walk a little, but needs his wheel chair for places like walmart and disney because of his pain.

My question is the rides.... My husband is afraid since he has a spinal cord injury, that he will not be allowed to ride many rides because of jerking or bouncing around ( he is concerned about causing more pain and damage) :(

Do they have signs posted out side the rides to let someone like my husband know if he could get on it or not?
Is there a way to find out what type of action a ride will have before hand so we know which ones he could safely get on?

TIA ;)

Yes, they do have signs posted with warnings outside the rides and some have them through the lines as well in case they are missed before entering. I would also suggest checking out the disabilities FAQ. I think on the second page there is additional inforamation that might be helpful.

Thanks to both posters!

You don’t have to worry about getting onto something without knowing there is a warning. They are marked on the park maps with a red triangle. Each attraction also has a sign right before you enter the line that lists any warnings, many have signs along the way and they also have a sign at the boarding area.

For some attractions, even if he is not going to be riding, he will be able to come into the line with you and then leave without riding. Because of the wheelchair, this may not be possible for all attractions, but he will be able to do it for some. Some of the ride queues are very interesting to go thru even if not riding.

He should talk to his doctor about what types of attractions to avoid. If he has a stable spinal cord injury, his doctor may say he can ride anything he wants. If he has some deficits in things like trunk control, there may be more concern about jerked around causing him to injure his trunk or arms because he can’t brace himself.

WDW puts out the warnings, but will NOT stop a guest from riding unless they are not able to physically get into the ride car or use the restraint. They put out the warnings, but it is up to the guest to decide whether or not the warning applies to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter