Which resorts have the new RFID door locks?

What I wish is that there could be a better lock from the inside. The bizarre metal ball deadbolt is of no use to keep my daughter in the room. She is autistic and when I shower I live in fear that she's going to take a stroll by herself! Should bring one of those loud personal alarm door thingies but haven't yet gotten it together to buy and pack one.

Library Minnie said:
What I wish is that there could be a better lock from the inside. The bizarre metal ball deadbolt is of no use to keep my daughter in the room. She is autistic and when I shower I live in fear that she's going to take a stroll by herself! Should bring one of those loud personal alarm door thingies but haven't yet gotten it together to buy and pack one.

The issue is that you cannot provide something that may benefit one person, but impede hundreds of other guests in case of the need to exit in case of a fire. Fire codes are based on years of research that benefit the masses.

Hotels must place a standard type of lock that benefits almost all of the resort guests and will not panic when the smoke alarm/fire alarm system.

If you are talking about a higher lock out of reach, but then you violate the code for handicapped accessibility. If you are talking about some type of alarm, it could be misconstrued as a fire alarm.

If you need to supplement that lock system, then you will need to provide it and educate your family specifically how to exit in case of a fire. This allows the owner of the facility to stay within the code and transfers the responsibility to your family in case of a fire.

Thank you to all of you for our anwsers. POR in October, I guess will be going the old fashion way.:rotfl2:

You're absolutely right though, the risk for theft is always there. The credit card companies deal with this stuff every day. From some personal experience, they've come quite a long ways in helping our their customers and getting charges removed quickly. Just keep on top of your bank/credit statements and call as soon as you see anything suspicious.

Sorry for getting off-topic....

:thumbsup2

I chose not to live in fear every day that someone is going to steal something of mine.

Thank you both. It could be a small tiny card that you just wand on the door scanner. My friend has small card and he said he just waves it on the door with a scanner and the door unlocks at his work out place. I thought that was pretty neat. Maybe it's also a tracking device where they know who is using the room and what time. I just hope it's not a bracelet.. That could get annoying after awhile.

Hello all !,

I`m back from hiatous to tell you something that I`ve found out.
I`ve been researching for info about the new Walt Disney World RFID System. The way it goes is that the RFID Wristbands are being worked on, so I`m to guess that they will not show themselves up yet totally as far as the immediate future goes.
But what they are doing as far as the immediate time is updating the Key to the world tickets to the New RFID System.
Basically all that you will have to do is this. Instead of putting your Key To The World Card inside of the little slot on the doorlock of your resort hotel room, You will wave Your Key to the world card in front of the RFID Mickey Mouse Senser on the doorlock, and it will unlock the door.
Again, The Walt Disney World RFID Wristbands are coming in due time. But for now, They are updating the Key To The World Cards to fit the new RFID System. So, You do not necessarily need the arm braclets, or the Wristbands.
GRANTED, I have not been able to visit Walt Disney World since September 2009, BUT ..... There are those people whom have been visiting WDW Lately, so this is what I`ve found out from them.

Thanks for reading.

- Dwight

The Mansions section of POR installed RFID locks last week...not sure about AB section.

this might be a completely stupid question, but what RFID door locks?

In addition to being a silly way of opening doors the RFID key is a way for Disney to track your every move within WDW...

do they even have non rfid cards anymore?

Yes - I have zero RFID credit cards and have never had one. If you do happen to get one (they all have identifying symbols) just ask your credit card company to send you a non-RFID card - They all do, no questions asked.

Martin

The following resorts have the RFID door locks now.

Art of Animation
Beach/Beach Villas
Yacht
Boardwalk Inn/Villas
Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower
Wilderness Lodge
Old Key West
Coronado Springs
Animal Kingdom Jambo/Jambo Villas/Kidani

(I believe, but am not sure, AKL and CSR are not complete yet, so some rooms may still have the magnetic stripe readers on the doors)

You still are issued a room key to enter your room, the only difference is that you don't have to insert the card in the lock, just touch the card to the lock.

The Poly has them as well. Used them two weeks ago. They are low range RFID which means you have to be very close to the reader. In the Poly's case you had to touch the reader before it sensed the chip. The chip is imbedded in a normal looking room key card.

Let's stow the paranoia about this, at least in Disney's case. RFID can come in many forms some with relatively long range, several feet fom the reader, and some very short range, an inch or so from the reader. Disney is using very short range, you have to be less than an inch away and directly in front. We tested it by putting on top, to the side, under, and different ranges. Disney's implementation is very near field.

For somebody to steal anything from this card they'd have to be touching you and just the right angle. And yes, the RFID in the card can determine the range not the reader. The cases of theft from RFID are all from long range RFID which is being abandoned for secure uses.

Disney is using very short range, you have to be less than an inch away and directly in front. We tested it by putting on top, to the side, under, and different ranges. Disney's implementation is very near field.

I agree....DD loved to use the RFID to open the door, and it absolutely would not work unless the card was touching the pad on the door.

You need to sign the back of the card. They will ask for photo ID if you haven't signed the card for your protection.

I NEVER understood that practice. If your credit card is signed, stores don't ask for ID. What if someone used a lost/stolen credit card that was not signed on the back? Of course they are not going to show their ID to use the card. They are going to sign the back of the card with the Cardholder's name in their own handwriting. Now when the thief uses the card, their signature matches the back of the card.

Most times you'll encounter an unsigned credit card its when it is in possession of the Cardholder, not the thief.

My sister works in the fraud investigation department of a major credit card. She said that most of the people they catch using a stolen card signed the back of it in their own handwriting so the signatures will match when they use it. Very few people use a stolen credit card that has already been signed on the back by someone else.
Whomever came up with that "for your protection" line never had any common sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter