Which resort with kids no parks?

la79al

DIS Veteran
Thinking about taking the kids for a night or two, just to stay at a Disney resort but no parks. My kids are well behaved crazy kids. Would it be worth the money and which would you recommend? Also thinking about doing a Universal trip but staying at Disney (blasphemy I know but I have credit card points). That would work with no problems, right? We would have a car either way.
ETA it would just be me and the kids (7, 12, 14) and they will literally sleep anywhere.

What's the budget? My first choice would be Yacht or Beach Club. Their pool is great especially since your kids are old enough that they could go cross the walkway to the slide by themselves. You can also walk around to the boardwalk area and experience the entertainment there. You can also hop on the skyliner and explore those resorts.

No it's not blasphemy to stay on Disney property and go to Universal and it won't cause any problems, but I'd rather stay at Universal. If you stay at one of their top tier resorts, you get free express pass for your party, which is an excellent deal. Then you spend a lot less time in line and more time enjoying the rides and the park.

I agree about Beach Club, plus you're within a relatively short walk to Fantasia Gardens mini golf, if that is something your kids would like. But if planning to go to Universal I have to also say stay there and get the Expresspass. That pays for the room itself.

If you're doing a Universal trip only, I would not stay at Disney and choose one of the premier Universal hotels to get the free unlimited Express pass. It's good for your check in and checkout day as well. You would also have easy access to Volcano Bay, which IMO is better than Disney's water parks if that is something you're interested in.

Are your credit card points only good at Disney hotels?

If not, I agree with previous posts that recommend staying at one of the UOR deluxe hotels - Hard Rock, Portofino Bay, or Royal Pacific - so that everyone in your party will have the Unlimited Express Pass for the length of your stay. We've actually booked there twice when we were sleeping somewhere else, because the cost of the hotel (for 4 or 5 adults) was actually less than the cost of the Unlimited Express Pass for everyone, and when we added in the cost of parking at the hotel (which is billed per night) compared to the cost of parking at the UOR garage (which is per day), we felt like we came out ahead!

Polynesian- access to monorail rides, boatrides, seeing the castle from the beach, beautiful pool area, 4 other hotels to explore nearby.

I wouldn't pay Disney prices for their hotels if not going to one of the parks. Part of the high price is proximity to the parks. There are many other good more reasonably priced hotels in Orlando to choose from. Universal also has hotels near their parks at better prices then Disney with park transportation options. I think younger children would be hugely disappointed looking out the window from the hotel and seeing one of the Disney parks you don't plan to visit.

Last edited:
Value: Art of Animation for the pool

Moderate: POR: easy access to Disney Springs and POFQ. Can pool hop between the two PO

Deluxe: AKL for everything.

We stayed at all but our POR and AKL stays were no-park stay and we loved both. Didn’t miss going to the parks that much since there was so many things to do, especially at AKL!!

I wouldn’t stay at Poly without parks - for me, the thought of seeing MK but not going would be too much to bear! I would do Yacht/Beach or Animal Kingdom for their pools - or any of the Hilton or Marriott or Sheraton timeshares or Bonnett Creek area hotels.

As much as I LOVE a Disney no parks resort stay (we do 2-3 of these a year), if going to UO, stay at UO. The hotels at UO are great. My kids (9, 13) love Portofino and Cabana Bay the most so I would highly recommend them based on your budget.

The thing no one has mentioned is how absolutely awful 1-4 is to travel. Its ALWAYS bumper to bumper in most spots and there's not a good alternative. Apoka-vineland is the best option but its not quick so you'll be spending a lot of time stuck in traffic when you could have just woke up and walked to the parks. Do not add that stress to your vacation when its completely unnecessary.

Maybe on an off day make a reservation at Sanaa or Boma at AKL and explore the resort. Or make a reservation at a monorail resort and ride it around.

Value: Art of Animation for the pool

Moderate: POR: easy access to Disney Springs and POFQ. Can pool hop between the two PO

Deluxe: AKL for everything.

We stayed at all but our POR and AKL stays were no-park stay and we loved both. Didn’t miss going to the parks that much since there was so many things to do, especially at AKL!!
Awesome suggestions.

AKL is definitely better since it has a balcony/animals/dining, but POFQ is such a solid option too, like you suggested. I loved them both as well and would do either again.

We stayed at AKL with our kids for a resort only trip. You can spend hours watching the animals between the 2 resorts. We also got a hidden Mickey scavenger hunt sheet from the front desk to keep the kids busy one afternoon. The pool was great and you have several really good restaurants right there.

We have also stayed at the Swan/Dolphin and wandered around the boardwalk, rode the boat, and played miniature golf.

My guess is that maybe you have Disney VISA points, so that's why you are staying at a Disney hotel?

AKL gets my vote BUT how many points do you have? I might be tempted to save the points and use them for a Disney trip, or Disney restaurants or something. Disney resorts cost a fortune these days unless you rent points from a DVC owner (and therefore can't use the Visa points...)

Thinking about taking the kids for a night or two, just to stay at a Disney resort but no parks. My kids are well behaved crazy kids. Would it be worth the money and which would you recommend? Also thinking about doing a Universal trip but staying at Disney (blasphemy I know but I have credit card points). That would work with no problems, right? We would have a car either way.
ETA it would just be me and the kids (7, 12, 14) and they will literally sleep anywhere.
If you can use your CC points at Universal, I would. Firstly, I love disney and I love the resorts but if I'm not going to be going to a park, I see no point, especially with my kids. You'll be closer to Universal, stay deluxe and get express pass to skip lines. Such a time saver. I could see my kids, and myself, staying at a disney resort thinking, wish we went to a disney park but everyday we see all these families that had a great day at the resort and we're off to hang with minions. Sorry, I love UO and my kids love thrill coasters but it just doesn't butter my bread. It's definitely not blasphemy but I don't see a benefit to the disney resort choice in that situation.

Forget Disney and stay at Universal! Sapphire Falls is perfect for pool days, or the deluxe hotels have the Express Pass.

Unless by cc points you mean Disney Rewards, then you’re obviously stuck at Disney but it’s hard to direct on where to recommend without a budget in mind? Value, Mod, Deluxe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter