Which resort to choose?

Alexsandra

Ready for the next adventure
Hi there,

I am planning a last minute vacation in March (from March 5th to the 13th) to get away from the snow and the cold. I would be traveling with my youngest son (4 y.o.) and my Mom.

My Mom is looking to relax and rest by the pool and just take it easy. She is not that interested in the parks. She actually wants to stay off property and not move from the pool. She has Marriot points that she can use so we can get the resort for free. She doesn't even want to rent a car, she wants to stay at the hotel the whole time.

I think it would be limiting to be stuck at the same hotel the whole time. What if we have encounter cold weather or rain and we can't even enjoy the pool or the grounds. It makes more sense to stay on Disney property. We would have free transportation, and we could visit the parks if the weather is cold or rainy. Plus I figure some days I can go to the parks with my four year old while she rests at the pool, or we could visit the parks in the morning and evenings and go rest at the pool each afternoon.

I usually alway stay at POFQ which I love for its small size and reasonable price but I don't know if it is really the best resort for my Mom to relax at. The Monorail resorts just seem too expensive for what you get. So with that in mind, which Disney Resort should we stay at so that my Mom can really take advantage of the pool and the grounds while I visit the parks?

Wow, this is a tough one. With such differing reasons for going away, compromise is going to be tough. Since mom has points for a free hotel and wants to just pool it I would likely stay off property. I am going to make an assumption that the Marriot is near DTD so you can grab the bus there to the parks or use the hotel shuttle.

Check out Coronado Springs Resort. It has a large pool area and beautiful grounds. Also, the quiet pool areas are nice if the afternoon pool games get to be too much. The walking paths around the resort are beautiful. I have spent a couple of hours nappping in one of the hammocks by the lake in hte Cabanas section. We have never found the resort to be very crowded. Bus service to the parks is some of the best we have encountered. CSR is a convention resort but I think that makes it better for Disney travelers. Most of the conventioneers are not heading to the parks in the morning so the buses are usually not crowded. They aren't usually going to be at the pool during the day either. There are also plenty of food options too. The resort does not have the "in your face" Disney feel to it, but that dosen't bother us. Check out the pictures and the CSR thread on the Dis. Have fun!

Never a doubt for us.... we're deluxe snobs but when we can't get what we want deluxe wise...it's POFQ for us.... compact and easy to get around resort... Pool well centered, great food court and if walking is your thing... Nice walkway to POR....

That is a tough one. The Marriott World is literally just outside WDW, so maybe you can stay there. She can hang out all she wants at hotel pool, and you can be off to the parks. There's also The Gaylord that is now part of the Marriott chain. Also close to WDW.

Off site WDW shuttle is pretty limited to a schedule. With a 4yr old it would be best to rent a car.
But you'd also have to pay for parking fee at the parks, and possibly at the hotel.
Just because your mom doesn't want to rent a car, and not leave the hotel, doesn't mean you can't rent a car and go to the parks.

I think all this needs to be discusses with your mom, as it seems you both want different vacations. Good luck!!

I would do a free room - save the $$'s
In a rush taxi to WDW :car:

SpringHill Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista in Marriott Village

8601 Vineland Avenue · Orlando, Florida 32821 USA
  • AAA Approved and meets Disney quality and service standards
  • We offer a Guest Services Desk to assist in your Disney vacation planning and ticket purchases
  • Guests have access to Walt Disney World Resort information prior to arriving in the Disney Theme Parks
  • Complimentary transportation to the Disney Theme Parks
  • Ability to purchase your Disney Theme Park tickets before leaving the hotel
  • Disney Theme Park vacation packages including tickets and room
  • Marriott Village Food Court Offerings
    Have a meal at the Marriott Village Food Court featuring Pizza Hut, Edy's Ice Cream, Starbucks Coffee and Boarshead Sandwhich Shop.

• Air-conditioned
    • Living/sitting area
    • Living area is separated from bed by privacy wall
      • Sleep peacefully on plush new Marriott bedding — thick mattresses, soft sheets and fluffy pillows.
      • Complimentary high-speed wireless Internet is provided in each of our Walt Disney World® suites.
      • flat-panel TVs and convenient mini-refrigerators.
      • complimentary in-room coffee service in addition to free hot breakfast.

I thinking hanging at the pool and enjoying the landscaping at POR is the way to go! You could take a look at the available maps and try to select a location by a quiet pool. More relaxing then the main pool!

agree that Marriott World Center and the Gaylord are attractive options....BUT if you like the monorail and don't want to spend the $$$...IF it suites her tastes, the then Wilderness Lodge is lovely and substantially less expensive than the monorail resorts (and just a boat ride from the MK)...very nice pool area, nice lobby, easy to get to Monorail resorts for meals/ spa day etc.

It's hard to pass up a free Marriott room, but if visiting the parks with the ability to go back and forth on your schedule and not on the hotel's shuttle schedule is important to you and your 4 yo (as a PP mentioned, the non-Disney shuttles are very limited in the number of times they run while you can catch a Disney bus generally every 15-30 minutes), then you may want to opt for a Disney resort. The Wilderness Lodge would be a terrific option with it's proximity to the Magic Kingdom (just a boat ride away). Another great option IMO if you're considering Deluxe is the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's a bit more isolated than the other resorts with bus service as it's only transportation option (plus taxis), but the buses are dedicated to just that resort so the rides are straight shots to the parks and can actually be shorter rides than others that make multiple stops. The dining options are very good and the large pool area is terrific. If your son is into animals he'll certainly get his fill watching the giraffes, zebras, ostriches, etc. roaming around the resort's savannas. From a pricing stand point I've found the Wilderness Lodge and AKL to be the best deals of the Deluxes with AKL being just a tad cheaper than WL.

Good luck with your decision and have a great trip!

I will look into WL and AK. I think that would be the best of both worlds. Luxury and efficiency all in one. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter