• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which resort/room type is best with a 1 1/2 year old?

DisneyGirl614

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I am starting to plan a trip to Disney this summer and my son will be 1 1/2 (his first trip!). I am worried about staying in a room where he will be able to see us over the side of his pack 'n' play (which may keep him from sleeping), and am hoping there might be a room option where there is even a little bit of space or an alcove where he could sleep slightly separated from us that is not extremely costly.

My husband and I have been to Disney World a bunch of times, and have stayed at All Star Movies, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Port Orleans Riverside. As a child my family also stayed at Wilderness Lodge, the Contemporary, and the Grand Floridian.

Ideally I'd rather not go above the moderate price tag, but we could possibly stay at one of the lower priced deluxe resorts if absolutely necessary. Please give me any advice you may have on this subject! It is really appreciated.

Thank you!

We put our little one's pak n play in the dressing area by the sink and closed the curtain. This seemed to work fine unless you go to the bathroom a lot at night.
Forgot to add this was at POR because we needed a room that slept 5 and a little one due to our family size. But I think it would work at any of the rooms that have the curtained off sink area.

Coronado Springs has sliding wooden doors between the room and the bathroom area. A pack n play would fit in that area, and you could close the doors and be in the room. I think the other mods have privacy curtains, but the doors do a good job blocking light and sound. I was able to get up and get ready (shower, blow dry my hair) without waking my kids on our last trip.

You can see the doors in the second post on this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2338336

The All Star family suites have two rooms and are not much more than a moderate. The Ft. Wilderness cabins also have two rooms, but they are a bit more.

Another option might be to rent points to get a 1BR villa - you can find info on the DVC boards.

Have you thought of a Garden Wing room at the Contemporary? Their price is around or just a bit more then a Moderate Resort and it's the least expensive room of the Monorail Resorts, plus their standard rooms are the biggest among the Deluxe Resorts.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Is there a decent amount of space between the vanity and the curtains in the moderate resorts (do you think my son will be able to grab them from the pack 'n' play)?

Also, do you know if all of the Coronado Springs rooms have those separating doors, or is it only certain buildings?

Thank you!!

Thanks for the quick responses!

Is there a decent amount of space between the vanity and the curtains in the moderate resorts (do you think my son will be able to grab them from the pack 'n' play)?

Also, do you know if all of the Coronado Springs rooms have those separating doors, or is it only certain buildings?

Thank you!!

All CSR rooms have the sliding doors. It was part of the rehab finished a few months ago. The new rooms are gorgeous!

Can't help with the privacy curtain question - sorry! :goodvibes

Another vote for CSR b/c of the sliding door. It would block much more light and sound than a privacy curtain which would allow you and DH to watch TV, read, etc. without bothering the little guy while he sleeps. The transporation here was very good during our August trip ... we were 3 adults that time though. One caution is that it is a very large/spread out place and the food court (pepper market) takes a bit of getting used too.

We stayed at ASMu in Family Suites when my nephew was 6 months old. My SIS and BIL thought the room was great space and amenitywise, but we all found it was a bit of a hassle transportation-wise when we needed/wanted to get back to our resort quickly.

We stayed at AKL in Savannah-view rooms (free upgrade during construction of AKV) when he was 14months old - the room was beautiful but totally no condusive to travelling with a little guy who napped. Transportation was a hassle (just b/c it took time to get anywhere even with frequent buses)and my SIS and BIL spent way too many hours sitting in the dark while the boy napped.

For our upcoming trip (twin nephews who will be 16 months old at the time have been added to SIS's family) we've opted for BLT - monorail and a 2BDRM suite for 3 adults and 3 kids and a studio for grandma and grandpa.

As you've stayed at POR, you know about the sink area and privacy curtains. POFQ and CBR have the same set up.
AKL and WL also have the same rooms, with that alcove in the sink area.
The added benefit of AKL or WL is that you'd have a balcony to escape to while the baby is napping. Just a little extra room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter