Which resort is for us?

MamaParrotHead

Earning My Ears
I'm completely confused about pretty much EVERYTHING (although some nice gals over on the budget board are giving me some good info) Disney.

If I were to stay on property, where should I stay? Priorities are cleanliness of the rooms and convenience to food/pools/parks (transportation).

The one that appeals to me on quick inspection is the CBR. I'm not a hotel snob by any means, but the looks of the value resorts don't thrill me. I'd rather spend a few more $ and feel like I'm at a nice resort with cool theme parks, not staying IN the theme park. OTOH, I can't justify spending TOO much on a room, because I don't plan on being in it ALL that much. Does that make any sense?

Also, can anyone tell me how far/how much the cab fare is to Sea World?

We'd probably be going the week before Christmas, '08 or '09 (depends on what household emergencies arise between now and then that make dents in our vacation fund, LOL).

Thanks!

Well you have definately come to the right spot for information...this place is very helpful and I have learned lots of stuff from everyone! :thumbsup2

Now, I don't know much about all of the resorts, but if transportation is key to you, then I would stay at a deluxe for the monorail! I'm sure someone will post answers to the rest of your questions, sorry I couldn't be more helpful than that! :goodvibes

which modes of transport you can use depends on which level of accomodations you have? Interesting. Any other info or input on this subject? (GOSH, I apologize for being SUCH a newbie).:rolleyes:

All resorts have the bus system which will take you back and forth to the different parks, which is fabulous! I believe most if not all of the deluxe resorts have an additional transportation route...most have the monorail system. Which quite a few people on here love. Wilderness Lodge has a boat to take you to MK. I have never stayed in a deluxe, so this information is what I have gained from the disboards! I have stayed in a moderate resort and had no problems using the busses.

As for transportation, the GF, Poly, and Cont have monorail access to MK and EP. We love the monorail b/c it's so much more comfortable and quicker than the buses. All resorts have bus transportation. You can get a map of WDW and determine which resort you'd rather stay at by seeing what parks it's closest to. That's if you're not planning on attending all parks.

Also, some of the resorts have a boat shuttle to different parks and to DTD. Those tend to be quicker and more comfortable than a bus.

I wouldn't worry too much right now about what's closest to pools and food. Once you choose your resort, then you can get a map of that resort to determine which building within the resort would be closest to their food courts, restaurants, pools, monorail/bus/boat shuttles, etc.

We almost always stay at the Deluxe resorts (excptions POR, and Shades of Green and one nite at Pop Century). In my opinion none of the resorts, other than the deluxe have the best access to the parks. Our family has "grown up" with the deluxe resorts; when the kids were younger (and we spent alot of time at MK) we stayed at WL and Poly. As they have gotten older and we spend more time at Epcot & MGM we stay at Boardwalk, Beach & Yacht. It is certainly more money to stay at Deluxe resorts - but you can't beat the service (which I have found to be great at the Deluxes), you can't beat the nice rooms (which are larger and more "cool" to me), and the pools (Stormalong Bay at Beach being the best) are generally better as well.

I hope I didn't ramble too much and you understand my perspective. I will offer one final note: the truth of the mater is that staying on property is the way to see WDW and no matter where you stay there will be things that will make you want to come back.

which modes of transport you can use depends on which level of accomodations you have? Interesting. Any other info or input on this subject? (GOSH, I apologize for being SUCH a newbie).:rolleyes:

No, that's not quite it. I think what people were saying is that the deluxe resorts usually offer some transportation other than bus, such as the monorails at the MK resorts, or the boats at the Epcot resorts. Any resort guest can use any transportation property wide to get from one area to another, but typically transportation from the values and mods will be by bus only (with the exception of the boat to DTD from Port Orleans). All the moderate resorts are a little more removed from the theme parks, so you will get the distinct feeling of going from the resort to the park, which it sounds like you prefer.

The moderate resorts are very nice resorts. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, CSR does not share bus service with any other resort, and has a few amenities, like salon, fitness center, and expanded room service, that other mods don't have. But it is large and spread out. People in the Ranchos section often comment about the long walk to the restaurants and lobby. CBR also gets some complaints about being spread out, and about the lobby being in a separate building. But the rooms at this mod are a little larger than the other mods, and more space is never a bad thing! Port Orleans is my particular favorite of the mods, especially the compact French Quarter. I like the boat transportation to DTD and I like the gardens and walkways made to look like mini roads. The only drawback to FQ is that there is only a food court. You have to go over to POR to eat at the TS restaurant. But there seem to be more complaints about transportation, especially on the Riverside section, than the other mods.

You will find fans and detractors for each resort. I would make a list of what you need from your resort to make your family's vacation a good one, and then see which of the resorts best matches your list. I've stayed at all three, and had great trips at all of them, so I don't think you can really make a bad choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter