• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Resort has the LARGEST rooms?

leopardspot

Mouseketeer
Just wondering which resort has the largest rooms. We just got back from 4 nights at the WL and I thought the room was on the small side.

The Poly and the CR are suppose to have largest rooms on site. The newer hotels are smaller.

I agree, the POLY definitely has larger rooms. Shades of Green also has large rooms, I remember that when it was the The Disney Inn. I don't know if that will change from the renovations and of course you now need to be in the military to stay there.

The Swan Studio rooms are very large rooms as well. They are the next best thing to a suite. Most of them have awesome views too:p

If you are talking Standard Hotel Rooms, Shades of Green supposedly has the largest standard rooms in square footage.. The Contemporary, Polynesian and GF are all pretty large too. Over 400 sq feet according to wdwinfo.com

My room at the Poly definitely felt larger than the SoG room. The GF rooms are fairly roomy as well.

Anne

Originally posted by ducklite
My room at the Poly definitely felt larger than the SoG room. The GF rooms are fairly roomy as well.

Anne

According to The Dis Web pages, the rooms at SOG were an average of 467 square feet, whereas the rooms at the Polynesian are an average of 407 and the GF an average of 440. I haven't stayed at SOG since it was called The Golf Resort (back in 1976.) I know SoG had a fold out couch in the room as opposed to a Day bed like in the Poly so maybe that takes up more room...? It could be possible some rooms at the Poly are larger too since these are all averages from the sounds of it.

We were eligible for rooms at SoG our first few trips, and the rooms seemed larger to me than the rooms at the Contemporary or the Poly. We have never stayed at the GF(haven't won the lottery yet). We are now completely spoiled by DVC, and OKW is always my husband's first choice because of the large rooms. My kids prefer the rooms at OKW, but the location of the BWV(our home resort), so we spend at least a week in each one a year. As far as standard rooms go, I will add a little childish humor. My nephews(5 and 7) went with us on our last trip, and we decided to stay an extra night, but OKW had no rooms available. We ended up spending that night at ASMu in 3 rooms(there were 9 of us total), and the oldest nephew's first comment as he entered the room was" Gee, I like the other room a lot better". Does he have good taste or what?

The rooms at Old Key West are massive. I can't quote the exact square footage, but of all the Disney Vacation Club resorts, Old Key West rooms are the largest by far.

Just to give everyone some perspective of how we are spoiled in the roomy US of A:

I'm looking into a trip to Paris next Spring - hopefully 5 nights in Paris and 3 at DLP. We are a family of 5 and want to rent an apartment in Paris. Most of the two bedroom apartments I am viewing on line are in the 400 - 500 sq. foot range! In that area they fit two bedrooms, a living area, kitchen and bath!

Our neighbors are British nationals. The house they sold in England was 3 bedrooms/2 baths and 750 square feet!

After some quick checking, this is what I found:

Grand Floridian: 403 sq. feet

Contemporary: 436 sq. feet

Polynesian: 409 sq. feet

I knew the Contemporary was the largest room on property (we're talking standard rooms here). The Poly also seems bigger than, say, YC & BC (they're in the high 300s). You would think GF would have the absolute largest rooms, wouldn't you?

Perplexed :confused: Wilma

CR is the biggest we have stayed in so far. What is interesting about WL to me is that the room does not seem as big as it is suppose to be. In fact, it seemed about like our room at PO/R. I "think" this must be because of the layout of the room. PO/R is one big room when you walk in. At WL(CR too, though it still seemed big) you walk down the little entrance hall that goes by the bathroom to get to the bedroom. I am sure that is some of the square footage there.

What size are the rooms at the Disney Resorts?
Note that rooms at the Value and Moderate resorts are all the same size, with the exception of Coronado Springs which has some suites available. All other resorts listed have various types of rooms available. The sizes listed for these resorts represent average room size and are shown in square feet.
Value Resorts:

All-Star Movies - 260
All-Star Music - 260
All-Star Sports - 260
Pop Century - 260 (estimated)

Moderate Resorts:
Caribbean Beach - 340
Coronado Springs - 314
Port Orleans French Quarter - 314
Port Orleans Riverside - 314

Deluxe Resorts:
Wilderness Lodge - 340
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 344
Beach Club - 380
Yacht Club - 380
BoardWalk Inn - 380
Grand Floridian - 400
Polynesian - 409
Contemporary - 422

Home Away From Home Resorts:
BoardWalk Villas Studio - 359
BoardWalk Villas One-Bedroom - 712
BoardWalk Villas Two-Bedroom - 1071
BoardWalk Villas Grand Villa - 2142
Old Key West Resort Deluxe Studio - 376
Old Key West One Bedroom - 1086
Old Key West Two Bedroom - 1392
Old Key West Grand Villa - 2265
Fort Wilderness Home or Cabin - 504
Wilderness Lodge Villas Studio - 356
Wilderness Lodge Villas One-Bedroom - 727
Wilderness Lodge Villas Two-Bedroom - 1080

I have staayed at all the Disney resorts except Shades of Green . I was shocked last summer when I was at the Dolphin. I must have had some sort of suite. It was easy twice as large as most Disney rooms it was really BIG!!!!

The reason WL has rooms that are similar in size to POR is because, and I read this somewhere??, it was originally scheduled to be considered a "moderate resort." The theming and touches like private balconies, made this such a popular hotel that they decided to call it a deluxe. That's why prices are slightly lower than a deluxe (in keeping with the smaller room and distance from any theme park) and why you get an iron/iron board and daily newspaper delivery (in keeping with a deluxe).

It still remains one of my very favorite resorts, because I feel "they" try harder to make your stay a "deluxe" one.

Wish I were there now:( --Wilma

Originally posted by sgtdisney
According to The Dis Web pages, the rooms at SOG were an average of 467 square feet, whereas the rooms at the Polynesian are an average of 407 and the GF an average of 440. I haven't stayed at SOG since it was called The Golf Resort (back in 1976.) I know SoG had a fold out couch in the room as opposed to a Day bed like in the Poly so maybe that takes up more room...? It could be possible some rooms at the Poly are larger too since these are all averages from the sounds of it.

I think that several factors contribute to the SoG rooms feeling smaller. The first is taht there is a half wall divider along part of the room, which breaks it up. Also the way the baths are configured can make the room feel smaller. One other thing, my rooms at SoG always were a little dark.

Anne

I have construction maps given to me by a staff member of the rooms and the sqft of the Polynesian in the original longhouses have 402 sqft rooms and the newer longhouses (Tahiti, Rapa Nui and Tokelau) have 452 sqft rooms.

Aloha

Steve

Having stayed at several resorts, we found the Contemporary Garden wing rooms to be the largest. The Poly seems nearly as large. YC, AKL, Swan, and Dolphin are good sized, but don't really feel much larger than Carribbean Beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter