• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which resort for relaxation only

*~PrincessBelle~*

DIS Veteran
Looking for some resort advice...my and my friend are coming to WDW in February to run in the Princess Half Marathon (a first for both of us :thumbsup2) and we are trying to decide where to stay...

We are planning on staying in a nicer mod or deluxe Thurs-Mon and then spend Mon-Saturday in a value or mod since we will be at the parks a lot and hardly in the room...

For the first part of the trip we're torn where to stay. We have narrowed it down to POR, BWI, and AKL. All would be standard rooms and a good pool is key. We plan to spend those days resting, relaxing by the pool, and at DTD. Which would you say meets those requirements the best?

If it helps we would either do the second part of the trip at AOA (little mermaid room) or POR.

Thanks!

I know it's not listed as one of your choices but I think SSR would be the best choice based on your description. It's close to downtown you can even walk and has the spa.

I've heard BWI is a great atmosphere for an 'adults only' environment - very relaxing and peaceful (caveat: I haven't stayed there before). I really loved POR and AKL, but if you won't have a car AKL is far from a lot of stuff, particularly DTD. Of course, POR would be the easiest and closest to DTD, just a boat ride away.

I'd go for either POR or BWI with a slight bend towards BWI. I just love that whole Boardwalk area. Have fun and good luck on your half!

Looking for some resort advice...my and my friend are coming to WDW in February to run in the Princess Half Marathon (a first for both of us :thumbsup2) and we are trying to decide where to stay...

We are planning on staying in a nicer mod or deluxe Thurs-Mon and then spend Mon-Saturday in a value or mod since we will be at the parks a lot and hardly in the room...

For the first part of the trip we're torn where to stay. We have narrowed it down to POR, BWI, and AKL. All would be standard rooms and a good pool is key. We plan to spend those days resting, relaxing by the pool, and at DTD. Which would you say meets those requirements the best?

If it helps we would either do the second part of the trip at AOA (little mermaid room) or POR.

Thanks!

Out of your choices, we've only stayed at AKL and I think that would be a great resort for relaxing. The resort is kind of out away from everything so it makes for a quiet & relaxing atmosphere (IMO) and the pool is great for spending an afternoon of down time. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Good luck.

I would also vote SSR, even though it is not one of your choices. Given your description, POR would be my second choice.

POR would be my choice. It has great quiet pools in each area besides the large pool at ole man island. Lots of things to go at the resort & the relaxing boat ride to DTD is great too. Check out the website www.portorleans.org for pictures & a lot of information. DH & I are going back in October & planning a couple of down days just to enjoy the resort. Enjoy your trip!

BWI, of your choices.

I'd also consider the Swan & Dolphin. The cabanas at the pool bar there are my fave place to relax.

Congrats on your first Princess Half Marathon!! We did the WDW Half Marathon January last year and it's a fantastic experience!!

All three are very good choices. I'd go with POR first, then BWI. POR is very nice and the boat to DTD is great (could be a bit chilly on Feb nights, but still very enjoyable). BWI has a great pool, plus the Boardwalk has great restaurants and entertainment. Quite busy each evening. AKL is an awesome resort but, as others have said, quite far from everything.

BWI for relaxation and POR for parks stay duration. That way you try both resorts. AKL is too out of the way, even from DTD. BWI has an amazing pool and slide.

Coronado Springs is by far the best option for relaxing when you factor in its value IMO. Based on the resorts you've listed, I would select BWI.

I would choose AKL over Bw because there is a lack of counter service options at the BW. AKL looks amazing.

I know it's not listed as one of your choices but I think SSR would be the best choice based on your description. It's close to downtown you can even walk and has the spa.

I agree! You can't get any closer to DTD and a nice full body massage at the spa after the marathon might be a good idea. SSR also has several pools to choose from.

POR - wonderful grounds/landscaping for walks, best CS in the moderates.

Get a room by a quiet pool and chill!

My votes would be a studio at SSR (point rental) or BWI. AKL is a hike from everything, but the atmosphere is so relaxing and the pool is fantastic.

Thanks everyone! Looks like the clear stand out is POR followed by BWI...I do have to say though I am intrigued by suggestions of SSR - I may look into that resort a little more before we make our final decision... thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter