Which resort for a family of 6?

DisneyFanatic1215

Earning My Ears
We are thinking of renting DVC points and staying at a villa for our next trip. We are a family of 6 - 4 kids ages 19, 11, and ten year old twins. What resort would you suggest for us?

You say a villa, with 4 kids you need a 2bd. OKW has a larger footprint, more living space and with 2 queen beds in the second bedroom and a sleeper chair (quite comfortable) and pull out sofa in the living room, every one could get their own bed. It's not near the parks but near to DTD, just a lovely little boat ride away. The OKW marina rents out pontoon boats, speed racers as well as paddle boats. It's a beautiful, lush and tropical resort!

The other option I would suggest, AKV, Kidani. The 2bd's there have a 3rd bath, which travelling with 4 -5 teens we've greatly appreciated, especially in the morning and at night! The footprint of the villa is smaller than OKW but very well laid out. There's also a sleeper chair and if you book a dedicated 2bd villa, you will have the 2 beds in the second bedroom rather than the bed and sleeper sofa! Of course the theming and the animals, stunning!

And if some don't mind doubling up, BWV, BCV, each have walking proximaty to DHS and Epcot. The villas are smaller in living space and neither has the sleeper chair. Then there's SSR also close to DTD, we love the Congress Park, DTD view, but there again no sleeper chair! And for us it's a must have, as the boys, all 16 and ranging from 170-235 lbs (football players) no longer sleep well if not in there own beds!

Good luck with your choice!

You say a villa, with 4 kids you need a 2bd. OKW has a larger footprint, more living space and with 2 queen beds in the second bedroom and a sleeper chair (quite comfortable) and pull out sofa in the living room, every one could get their own bed. It's not near the parks but near to DTD, just a lovely little boat ride away. The OKW marina rents out pontoon boats, speed racers as well as paddle boats. It's a beautiful, lush and tropical resort!

The other option I would suggest, AKV, Kidani. The 2bd's there have a 3rd bath, which travelling with 4 -5 teens we've greatly appreciated, especially in the morning and at night! The footprint of the villa is smaller than OKW but very well laid out. There's also a sleeper chair and if you book a dedicated 2bd villa, you will have the 2 beds in the second bedroom rather than the bed and sleeper sofa! Of course the theming and the animals, stunning!

And if some don't mind doubling up, BWV, BCV, each have walking proximaty to DHS and Epcot. The villas are smaller in living space and neither has the sleeper chair. Then there's SSR also close to DTD, we love the Congress Park, DTD view, but there again no sleeper chair! And for us it's a must have, as the boys, all 16 and ranging from 170-235 lbs (football players) no longer sleep well if not in there own beds!

Good luck with your choice!

Thank you! This is very helpful!

BLT would also have the sleeper chair and 3 full bathrooms.

You may or may not want to also consider a treehouse villa (3 bedrooms, sleep 9) , but it is a bit more points than a 2BR

We are thinking of renting DVC points and staying at a villa for our next trip. We are a family of 6 - 4 kids ages 19, 11, and ten year old twins. What resort would you suggest for us?

I would second the recommendation for OKW. Our family of six stayed there last year, although the kids were all younger (11, 8, 4, 2). Still, the size of the 2 BR villa is almost staggering. Almost as though they made a mistake (and maybe they did. No subsequent resort was built with rooms so big). We found it such an unexpected pleasure to have so much room to spread out and for all of us to be able to move around and get ready for our day without the least bit of difficulty die to space. I expect that would be even more appreciated among an older group of kids like yours. And once the kids hit a critical age (maybe 5 or 6) a bus ride is no big deal at all.

If you plan to spend any significant time relaxing in your villa there is not doubt you should stay at OKW. We had 7, before they started growing up and leaving, and weren't cramped at all -- room to spare. The others all seem kind of small to me.

Otherwise I'd stay where you can walk to one of the parks.

OKW would likely be significantly less expensive for your rental, as the points needed are less than at other resorts.

I would suggest BWV standard view. Only 5 points more than OKW with a better location, esp for the 19 y/o. Also with better food options. AKV value 2 BR will be the cheapest by far but AKV standard will still be cheaper than all the rest. All but OKW and AKV standard will need to be booked well in advance though.

Ultimately what resort you get and what category villa you get depends on how soon your book your stay. If you are planning on going anytime for the rest of the year, you probably are out of luck for most resorts. If you are talking about spring or later next year, you shouldn't have too big of a problem booking almost anything except for specific locations that require 11 months to the day to book.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We are leaning towards AKL, but for some reason I am hesitant. Will I be disappointed by this resort?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We are leaning towards AKL, but for some reason I am hesitant. Will I be disappointed by this resort?

It's cool to see animals from your room, which to me is the only benefit of this resort. The animal kingdom lodge is furthest resort from any of the parks (except AK) so it seems to take a long time to get anywhere else.

BLT would also have the sleeper chair and 3 full bathrooms.

You may or may not want to also consider a treehouse villa (3 bedrooms, sleep 9) , but it is a bit more points than a 2BR

BUT...both of those are significantly smaller than the OKW 2 bedroom units. I would say if your kids are all boys, OKW would be fine, but if they are all girls, you might want to do AKV for the extra bathroom. Still...With that many people, I would still choose OKW for the extra space. The bathroom thing isn't that bad, and the extra living space really does make a big difference. FYI, OKW and AKV are our favorite resorts.

Your hesitation stems from.... Location/distance to parks, access to CS food, theming, resort amenities?

Personally, I've enjoyed each and every resort, there's not a dud among them! Sure, after 35+ trips I prefer some resorts over others due to what we like and our family dynamic, but I can honestly say, I've never been disapointed with any of my stays!

Your hesitation stems from.... Location/distance to parks, access to CS food, theming, resort amenities?

Personally, I've enjoyed each and every resort, there's not a dud among them! Sure, after 35+ trips I prefer some resorts over others due to what we like and our family dynamic, but I can honestly say, I've never been disapointed with any of my stays!

Thank you for this!

I think my hesitation stems from we have never stayed in a deluxe resort before. I don't want to be disappointed after spending all of this money! Basically, I want to make sure it lives up to its hype. LOL!

Thank you for this!

I think my hesitation stems from we have never stayed in a deluxe resort before. I don't want to be disappointed after spending all of this money! Basically, I want to make sure it lives up to its hype. LOL!

I know AKV will deliver, report back with that "Awe" moment as you first enter the villa, after your stay! ;)

Sleeping and getting ready will be better for everyone at Kidani because of the sleeper chair and extra bathroom.

But, I would ask your children. What do they use/do at a resort?
AKL has the animals which is great for some.
There are some more interesting food choices
The Kidani pool slide is decent
There are cultural ambassadors and it can be interesting talking to someone from another part of the world.

I think the bus service is overall fine. There are better ways to get to the non-DAK parks, but other resorts can be worse (like BWV to MK is worse because you also stop at the Swan then Dolphin before back-tracking and leaving for the MK.
SSR and OKW take a longer route to EPCOT. BLT shares with other monorail resorts..
But yes, there doesn't seem to be as much "over the top" for a prototypical teen, but AKL is still a very high quality place to stay...so it really depends on what they like.

Sleeping and getting ready will be better for everyone at Kidani because of the sleeper chair and extra bathroom.

But, I would ask your children. What do they use/do at a resort?
AKL has the animals which is great for some.
There are some more interesting food choices
The Kidani pool slide is decent
There are cultural ambassadors and it can be interesting talking to someone from another part of the world.

I think the bus service is overall fine. There are better ways to get to the non-DAK parks, but other resorts can be worse (like BWV to MK is worse because you also stop at the Swan then Dolphin before back-tracking and leaving for the MK.
SSR and OKW take a longer route to EPCOT. BLT shares with other monorail resorts..
But yes, there doesn't seem to be as much "over the top" for a prototypical teen, but AKL is still a very high quality place to stay...so it really depends on what they like.

They really would prefer a great pool, and just something that is really special. I know they would love the animals, and the great theming of the resort.

I am also looking at BLT because I know they would LOVE the monorail and how close the resort is to everything.

My kids love over the top theming and atmosphere, which is why I am not so sure about Boardwalk, OKW, and Beach/Yacht Club.

I know AKV will deliver, report back with that "Awe" moment as you first enter the villa, after your stay! ;)

So true ;)

A Kidani 2BR is 1173sqft.
In comparison, an AoA family suite is only 565sq FT or 2 rooms at POR would be a total of 628 sq FT

In our most recent trip, we went from a Kidani 1BR to a room at POR, and DS said "this (room at POR) is just a hallway" ;)

Just make sure you stock your kitchen in Kidani is stocked with enough snacks and drinks for the teens and they'll be fine ;)

You just have to be aware of the differences and advantages of a deluxe resort. What catches most people off-guard is a deluxe does not have a food court. For a deluxe, Mara has an above-average variety of choices, but you don't want to plan on eating there more than twice. (Instead, find more interesting choices at the parks ;). )

OKW also has a couch, loveseat and chair in the living room, so in addition to the extra bedding, there is significantly more seating for the family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter