Which park is the most crowdes NYE?

TinkLover101

Earning My Ears
Wondering if we should go to a park on NYE or not. Staying at BC so thought either EPCOT or MGM. We coul walk from Epcot so transporation won't be an issue. Just wondering how packed the parks are. I have read of times when the parks would have to turn away guest.

Thanks for your help! :)

Wow good luck going to Disney on NYE. The week of Christmas to New Years is the buisiest and to be honest, the most expensive. The one room you pay 150.00 for during regular, might end up costing 225+. They will clsoe the parks to guests if it is filled to compacity. MK and Epcot will be the most busy....You have the DS, but again where others are busy, others will go to where it is not so busy.....Also, P.I. has New Years every night, but that's where it might be dooable.... Good Luck... :thumbsup2

My son and his family and my mother-in-law were in MGM for New Year's Eve a year ago. Son is a Disney World veteran and said the crowds were extremely manageable. They did have to leave around 7:00 to meet up with us. But he said it was very party like and wished they could have stayed there longer. They all got party hats and noise makers around 6:00. Son's point of view was that since most of the "action" on ABC is covered at Magic Kingdom and Epcot MGM is the place to be. They didn't have any problems with any of the attractions up until 7:00 when they left.

I was at Epcot the same day and while it wasn't overly crowded, it wasn't empty but it's more spread out. We left there around 4ish. They were still letting people in at least at the International Gateway entrance.

We've been twice on NYE. Once in 97/98 and once for 04/05. Both times we were in MK and we plan to be there again for 06/07. Both times we were there, the park closed for capacity between 10 and 11am. We have been to WDW 20+ times so when we are there for NYE, we don't worry about riding rides. We watch the parades, do a few fast passes, eat and generally people watch. We take it slow and easy and just enjoy the atmosphere. Last time we had early dinner at LTT and we plan to do that again. We also participated in the ABC stuff in the Rose Garden but I wouldn't mind missing that. The only thing I will change this year is to not head out of the park right away. I have recently heard that you can stay in the park until nearly 2am and last time we waited over an hour for a bus to Pop. I don't mind waiting but this year we'll just stay in the park and see what's up!

I would NEVER tell someone to go to WDW during the Christmas holidays for their first trip. It is crazy at that time of year but we really do love it and it's an easy time for us to go.

Good luck with your decision!!!

TinkLover101 said:
Wondering if we should go to a park on NYE or not. Staying at BC so thought either EPCOT or MGM. We coul walk from Epcot so transporation won't be an issue. Just wondering how packed the parks are. I have read of times when the parks would have to turn away guest.

Thanks for your help! :)

Well, if you want to do rides, then you'll be probably be frustrated.
That said, I love Epcot for NYE - extra live entertainment, great fireworks and lots of good stuff to drink make for a fantastic place to celebrate the new year.

If you want to do rides, get to your park of choice at opening and RUN. We were at Epcot two years ago (pre-Soarin) - did M:S and Test Track in a row, by the time we were done the line to FAST PASS TT was 10 minutes long and our return time was after 5 pm. That said, we spent all day (18 hours) in the park and it was great, but we knew what to expect. After the early Illuminations it cleared out considerably.

No matter where you go, make ADRs (dining reservations) for lunch and dinner. I'd also recommend going to Epcot or MGM so you can walk back to your resort. Traffic will be a nightmare. We usually stay at BWV, but that trip we were at VWL and it took us an hour to get out of the Epcot parking lot!

We were down this past Xmas and NYE(2005). Went to MK. It was very very crowed stuck in on area for atleast 4 hours around parade and fire works time. I overheard someone saying the had 90,000 people in MK and normally there is only 50,000 people in the park.They did shut the parks down several days down there do to the amount of people.

This is our 12th visit to the world and I know that we are going at the busiest time. :crazy: We have gone twice before during this time however , on NYE we didn't do the parks. ;) We will have to discuss this in depth before deciding. I just needed to hear from other who have been there and done that. :listen:

Well if you are a couple(no kids) I think it is doable. We used to go all the time for NYE weekend before kids. Yes it is crowded but manageable. We always went to EPCOT on NYE and never felt "packed" except when it was time to leave the park(really glad we were staying at the BC and were going upstream at leaving time) It is fun and honestly I would go to a park on that day. The fireworks are fun- and the whole place has a NYE vibe(and EPCOT has more of an "adult" drinking vibe that night.) We love going during that time. The more the Merrier!! :cheer2: :grouphug: :cheer2:
And the parks stay open so long that you can do rides- just use fastpass. And it is a piece of cake.

TSM1993 said:
We were down this past Xmas and NYE(2005). Went to MK. It was very very crowed stuck in on area for atleast 4 hours around parade and fire works time. I overheard someone saying the had 90,000 people in MK and normally there is only 50,000 people in the park.They did shut the parks down several days down there do to the amount of people.

We were there at the same time, also in MK on NYE. On New Year's Day we went to Epcot and a CM told us that there were over 100,000 people in Epcot on NYE.

I would love to visit WDW again at that time but I would seriously reconsider going to a park on NYE. Or if we did, I would probably leave early and have a nice dinner at one of the hotel restaurants. It just wasn't worth dealing with the massive crowds all day.

Traveling with 3 14 year olds and then we are in our early fourties. My neice loves the DJ they had a few years ago ib the BW area. We made decide to do this and check the early fireworks at EP and get to bed early and hit the park early the next day while everybody else is cathcing their ZZZssss. Still waiting on the Dec. hours to be posted.

Thanks again

I was in Epcot on NYE 2001 and swore that I would never do it again, not I'm not so sure. Epcot is a great place to be. We had a great time celebrating NYE in France at 6:00 PM and then with the fireworks at midnight. All that being said, I would only do that if I was staying in the Boardwalk area. The time we did it before, leaving the park was a major hassel. There was an accident in the parking lot (lots of drinks, long days, short tempers did not make for good driving conditions with many people) and I heard that it did not empty out until after 3 AM (I think actually more like 4). The good news. News Year Day is a great day to visit the parks. Very few people.

jackmac said:
I was in Epcot on NYE 2001 and swore that I would never do it again, not I'm not so sure. Epcot is a great place to be. We had a great time celebrating NYE in France at 6:00 PM and then with the fireworks at midnight. All that being said, I would only do that if I was staying in the Boardwalk area. The time we did it before, leaving the park was a major hassel. There was an accident in the parking lot (lots of drinks, long days, short tempers did not make for good driving conditions with many people) and I heard that it did not empty out until after 3 AM (I think actually more like 4). The good news. News Year Day is a great day to visit the parks. Very few people.

I will agree with that New Years Day Epcot was dead until afterrnoon.

We are a similar group as TinkLover101. Three boys 14,13,11, DW and myself. We actually arrive at MCO aroud 7:30pm on New Years Eve! We will probably not get to WL Concierge till nearly 9pm, I guess. I am sure the boys will be fired up to get to a park, any park, asap. I haven't decided if this is doable or not. I would personally love to do a fireworks(wishes)/illuminations cruise and not head into a park at all. I have not really looked into whether or not those cruises are even available on NYE. I think it mightbe a tough sell to the boys, to just hang at the Lodge and soak up the atmosphere. :)

Anybody have experience with a late arrival on NYE?

TIA, Cortegro

cortegro said:
We are a similar group as TinkLover101. Three boys 14,13,11, DW and myself. We actually arrive at MCO aroud 7:30pm on New Years Eve! We will probably not get to WL Concierge till nearly 9pm, I guess. I am sure the boys will be fired up to get to a park, any park, asap. I haven't decided if this is doable or not. I would personally love to do a fireworks(wishes)/illuminations cruise and not head into a park at all. I have not really looked into whether or not those cruises are even available on NYE. I think it mightbe a tough sell to the boys, to just hang at the Lodge and soak up the atmosphere. :)

Anybody have experience with a late arrival on NYE?

TIA, Cortegro

Stay at the Lodge! Have dinner at Whispering Canyon. Take the boat over to watch the outside fireworks at Magic Kingdom if the boys are that crazy about it. Really, getting into a park that late on New Year's Eve is taking your life into your own hands.

Placate your sons with the fact as jackmac pointed out and tsm1993 verified - New Year's Day is a totally dead day. My daughter-in-law said it best "where the heck did all the people go?"

Thanks disnut!

"I" think that is a great plan! Now I will be coming back to this thread at the end of the year to show the boys that 'the good nights sleep' will REALLY make New Years Day that much better! Because we have never been to WDW during the Holidays (thats the reason for this trip) we are having a hard time perceiving the huge crowds that are there. I think you might have a nice idea to catch the Fireworks from the front entrance. That might give them just enough taste. Can we still get dinner at Whispering Canyon after 9-9:30? I will ask concierge to make our ADR's for our 1st night dinner!

Thanks, cortegro

We went to Epcot NYE 2000 (1999 into 2000) and they were turning away non-resort guests from the parking lot payment plaza at 7:30am! Can you imagine trying to sort that out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter