Which onsite DL hotel would you stay at?

baggirl

Mouseketeer
I have a 3 yr old son and we're thinking of making the trip for CarsLand. We were thinking of 4 nights. Which of the 3 on site hotels do you like best? Why? Thanks!!

We've only stayed at PPH so I can't tell you why we like it "best" only why we like it. The biggest thing for our family (usually my parents, myself, my three kids - ages 19, 9 and 4) is the view. We spend a lot of time in the room though, maybe more than most. When we go this Christmas, we are going to stay at DLH for the first time. I'm apprehensive, to say the least, about the view.
Due to our need/want of a suite, The Grand is just way out of our price range. Someday, we'll try to do the villa thing.

I have a 3 yr old son and we're thinking of making the trip for CarsLand. We were thinking of 4 nights. Which of the 3 on site hotels do you like best? Why? Thanks!!

My favorite resort out of ALL of Disney's hotels in the US is the Grand Californian. It's truly luxurious, the resort is beautiful, service is great, and location is fantastic. If you can swing it, I highly recommend it!!! I'll never stay anywhere else when we go to DL. :-)

The Disneyland Hotel ~ it is Disneyland to me.

I like the lobby of the Grand *but it wouldn't wow a small child* and the lobby is an area anyone can visit - the rooms are dark.

With a 3 year old, I'd go for the DLH. The Disney touches are truly special. My girls will spend an hour playing with the headboard. GCH is gorgeous and very close, but when my kids were younger they didn't appreciate it at all.

We've stayed at the Grand and at DLH. With a 3 year old, I'd pick the DLH (and it is cheaper). The Grand is beautiful and it is closer to main gate & Downtown Disney, plus has the entrance to DCA. But the rooms are small, and the DLH has more Disney for a little one. Even at 11 and 14, my kids prefer the DLH (and we will be staying there in April). Plus, the DLH is recently remodelled.

Even though the DLH is farther, it's still close. And DLH guests can use the DCA entrance at the Grand. I don't mind the walk at all -- though with a 3 year old, I'd just be sure to have a stroller at either hotel and for the parks.

One thing we really like about the DLH is that it is closer to the monorail. We try to get the first monorail and arrive in Tomorrowland, especially for early entry -- we can do all the rides that get crowded later on in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. This is especially great if you want to do Nemo. Then we try to get to the other side of the park and hit Pirates and Haunted Mansion right after rope drop. The DLH also has Goofy's Kitchen, which we loved as a character meal.

The Grand really did a nice job when we stayed there for DD2's bday. We didn't order anything special, and we weren't staying concierge, but they had balloons and autographed pictures at check-in, and also sent up towel art and a collectible Disney figurine! And at Goofy's they brought cupcakes with candles and sang.

Anyway, for a 3 year old, DLH for sure IMO. Have fun!

We've stayed at all three Disney resorts. We rate the DLH and GC very high and then a long drop to PP. Between DLH and GC we would chose depending on how big the price difference is. GC is more expensive, but sometimes its not that much more expensive.

We've stayed at all three...each has its merits and faults. If you are wanting the most fun for a three year old, I would definately do the Disneyland Hotel--it simply is the most "Disney"! However, if you don't end up choosing the DLH, you can't go wrong with either of the others.

When we ever do decide to stay on site it will be at the Disneyland hotel - the Grand might be a nicer hotel to some but I would be staying on site to be in a "Disney" hotel and the fact it has just been renovated is a big consideration.

Walking distance would not be a factor for us as we stay off site as it is now and have kids that can walk faster and get tired less quickly than we do now...

We've stayed at all three, and I would choose the DLH any day. For rooms, the GCH is just not worth the price. And depending on where you room is, it's a long way to the park entrance.

As others have said, the DLH is the most "Disney". There are often characters near the check in counter, they have the monorail pool, there's a mickey statue out front. All things that a 3 year old will get and think are great. Plus at the DLH, the fireworks headboard make a great night light. lol

Enjoy your trip,

With a three year old - I would say DLH all the way. They have a great pool for kids with a shallow play area and two mini water slides (along with two big kids water slides.) Plus characters (Goofy and others) semi-regularly in the lobby plus easy access to a great character meal at Goofy's Kitchen. You can ride the Monorail into Dland.

The Disneyland Hotel ~ it is Disneyland to me.

I like the lobby of the Grand *but it wouldn't wow a small child* and the lobby is an area anyone can visit - the rooms are dark.

I agree. The DLH is my FAVORITE out of them all. My twins were 3 when we stayed there the last time and they LOVED it. Esp. the light up headboard. They would stand there forever watching it over and over again. Now that the pool is done it is even better. Plus Goofy's kitchen is right there for dinner. The walk was never an issue to us. Everything is so close to in DL compared to WDW. The first time I went to WDW I was completely overwhelmed! I think if you are looking for that 'wow' factor the DLH is the way to go. Have a great trip!

We love the GCH because of it's location, but for a little one I think that the new DLH rooms would be magical. :goodvibes

If you're just considering the 3 yr old, pick the least expensive as any hotel is awesome at that age :)

I'm still booked at the GCH because of it's closer location to the parks for our 4 year old. We for sure will be going back to the room in the afternoon for naps/swimming before going back to the parks for night activities.

I really wished the DLH was sitting where the Grand is. I guess the DLH is only another 5 ish minute walk further so not a huge deal but when you have a cranky child about to meltdown that 5 min feels a lot longer.

Grand Californian -- walk out the door and into California Adventure. When we got soaked on the Grizzly River Run, it was nice to be able to walk five mins back to the room to change clothes.

How much further away is DLH? How do you get to the 2 parks from it?

Thank you all so much for the info and feedback!

I would love to hear more about how DLH was recently renovated too!

One thing we really like about the DLH is that it is closer to the monorail. We try to get the first monorail and arrive in Tomorrowland, especially for early entry -- we can do all the rides that get crowded later on in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

Wow, so you can enter into the park first thing in the morning there? You don't have to use the main gate?

How early is the first monorail?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter