Which one? Nikon 35 or 50 f1.8 af-s

HPS3

Disney Fanatic
I am trying to decide between these two lenses for portraits and video. Which one would have a better bokeh and faster focusing?

Smoother bokeh starts with more aperture blades. But overall optical quality also affects bokeh quality. So whichever lens is better optically and has more aperture blades would likely have better bokeh.

I'm not up on Nikon lenses, but if they compare to Canon, the 35mm will probably be a little better than the 50mm f/1.8 but not tons better. At the same aperture and distance to subject you'll have a slightly shallower depth of field with the 50mm, which will make getting that out of focus area a little easier. But it's not a huge difference either.

Yeah I think I want the 35 especially when shooting video inside

I guess you don't realize that the 50mm will not AF on your camera. You have to get above the entry level bodies in Nikon in order to use a lens that doesn't have it own AF in it. It would still work as MF though.

I guess you don't realize that the 50mm will not AF on your camera. You have to get above the entry level bodies in Nikon in order to use a lens that doesn't have it own AF in it. It would still work as MF though.

My bad. I had not heard that they finally added an updated 50mm with the AF motor. I obviously have not heard anything about the quality then. It also looks like it has not shipped to anyone yet. It is about $75 more compared to the original. Not too bad, but given the price, the 35mm is probably a much more usable focal length. I have a prime in both 35mm and 50mm and since buying the 35mm, my 50mm has not even been on my camera.

yeah the new 50 is a af-s autofocus but i think the 35 will be more usefull.

For portrait work the 50mm will be a better focal length. For general purpose/walk around type lens, the 35mm will be better. On a digital crop body, the 35mm will have a field of view similar to that of the human eye.

For many many years the standard lens that was sold with a film SLR was the 50mm f/1.8. Now in the digital SLR age and the size of the sensor, the 50mm actually has the field of view that is more like a 75mm lens. So based on that the 35mm lens on a dSLR will be the better choice for general purpose/candid photography.

For portrait work a slightly longer focal length was considered by the "pro's" to be better, therefor in the digital age, the 50mm has become a very good choice for portraits.

I don't have the 35mm (I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4), but do have the 50mm f/1.8 (the older AF version). I love the image quality the 50mm. From the images I've seen the 35mm is also excellent.

So in the end the choice is going to be what you really want it for the most. You can do portraits with the 35mm and it will be better for candids.

For portrait work the 50mm will be a better focal length. For general purpose/walk around type lens, the 35mm will be better. On a digital crop body, the 35mm will have a field of view similar to that of the human eye.

For many many years the standard lens that was sold with a film SLR was the 50mm f/1.8. Now in the digital SLR age and the size of the sensor, the 50mm actually has the field of view that is more like a 75mm lens. So based on that the 35mm lens on a dSLR will be the better choice for general purpose/candid photography.

For portrait work a slightly longer focal length was considered by the "pro's" to be better, therefor in the digital age, the 50mm has become a very good choice for portraits.

I don't have the 35mm (I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4), but do have the 50mm f/1.8 (the older AF version). I love the image quality the 50mm. From the images I've seen the 35mm is also excellent.

So in the end the choice is going to be what you really want it for the most. You can do portraits with the 35mm and it will be better for candids.

I completely agree with this take on the uses. I recently took some before prom pics of my oldest DD and the 35mm was perfect for getting that type of shot where you want to see the entire outfit. I have taken other portrait style shots of the DDs and the 50mm was perfect for that.

I've had the 35 mm for over 2 years and it rarely leaves my camera. It is my main lens. For the price you cannot go wrong.

35mm as it autofocuses.
It is less expensive as well.

I don't know how the news escaped this board, but Nikon finally made a 50mm f/1.8 with the focus motor. It is also a little bit cheaper than the 35mm, but still more expensive than the original 50mm f/1.8. It is supposed to ship mid June, but I bet the initial high demand will make it tough to get one for at least a few months. Even though I am a Pentax user, I am glad that they finally gave into pressure and made this lens. It was a somewhat empty hole in their entry level lineup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter