• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which moderate resort is your favorite and why?

Happyclarabelle said:
Also, which one has the best bus system?

Any info. is appreciated! :)

I would check out the threads for each mod and decide what appeals to you.

You have provided no info to give you a good answer. What are you looking for and what are your travel plans; size of party; expect to spend time at the resort, etc? We can only assume what you want to know at this point and cannot give a good answer.

Also, bus transportation is entirely subjective. What do you mean by best? Two people will be standing next to each other and have totally different opinions.....I would never base a choice of a resort solely on the bus service.

Port orleans riverside royal rooms.

Its the closest moderate to a deluxe resort.

Its beeeeautiful and upscale out of all of them.

Alittle detail that makes a big difference is the center tv console in the room.

In other rooms and mod resorts its just a table, giving it a motel feel. But the royal rooms, its an actual console like the deluxe rooms. Makes a big difference.

Lookup videos on youtube.

We've only stayed at one mod (CBR) and we loved it. The grounds were beautiful, the food court was good with a lot of variety, the pool was fun, and the bus transportation was great. CBR is centrally located so it didn't take more than about 10 minutes to get to any theme park, water park, or DTD. A lot of people don't like how spread out CBR is, but we didn't mind it at all. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mods. I would look at pics of all of them and choose the one that appeals to you the most. Good luck.

I've stayed at CBR, POR & CSR. POFQ I've visited but, have never stayed.

Food: QS-wise, POFQ has a few varieties unique to New Orleans cuisine. CBR has a huge food court and to me, a better selection and layout than the others. CSR has the Peppermill which has an ala-carte menu. Love having dinner here!
Not sure about FQ but, the others have TS restsurants: CBR has Shutters, POR has Boatwrights (sp?) And CSR has Maya Grill.

Best pool: CBR, CSR, POFQ and POR in that ranking. The pool at Old Port Royale in CBR is gorgeously themed with zero entry area. The one at CSR is huge with a Mayan temple. All four have slides.

Rooms: Love POR and CSR. CSR wins because of their duvets on the bed that makes it sooo cozy. CBR meh...they need a refurb. The room I was assinged this year smelled and looked no better than a motel 6. My coworker shared the sentiment which is why, until there is a refurb, I will not go to CBR again.

All of them have gorgeous grounds to walk around. CSR and CBR both have areas around lakes where you can sit outside and relax on chairs or even a hammock!

POFQ and POR have boat rides to DTD when there isn't bad weather.

Transportation wise, POR, CSR and CBR are HUGE resorts which, depending on where you're staying and time of arrival to your closest bus stop, may have you riding on a packed bus.

Depending on where your room is, you may have a long walk to the shops, reception and food court. This doesn't bother me as, when I arrive at WDW, my brain clicks into "there will be a ton of walking" mode.

So, my fav? It's a toss up between CSR and POR. If I had to pick right now, I would lean towards POR. I love the mansions area, (specifically Acadian house) and the boats to DTD. Also, it reminds me of a place I used to stay at as a kid. :-)

Port orleans riverside royal rooms.

Its the closest moderate to a deluxe resort.

Its beeeeautiful and upscale out of all of them.

Alittle detail that makes a big difference is the center tv console in the room.

In other rooms and mod resorts its just a table, giving it a motel feel. But the royal rooms, its an actual console like the deluxe rooms. Makes a big difference.

Lookup videos on youtube.

Thank you so much for this tip. Will look at the videos!

This would be my choice as well. :goodvibes

We've only stayed at one mod (CBR) and we loved it. The grounds were beautiful, the food court was good with a lot of variety, the pool was fun, and the bus transportation was great. CBR is centrally located so it didn't take more than about 10 minutes to get to any theme park, water park, or DTD. A lot of people don't like how spread out CBR is, but we didn't mind it at all. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mods. I would look at pics of all of them and choose the one that appeals to you the most. Good luck.

I've stayed at CBR, POR & CSR. POFQ I've visited but, have never stayed.

Food: QS-wise, POFQ has a few varieties unique to New Orleans cuisine. CBR has a huge food court and to me, a better selection and layout than the others. CSR has the Peppermill which has an ala-carte menu. Love having dinner here!
Not sure about FQ but, the others have TS restsurants: CBR has Shutters, POR has Boatwrights (sp?) And CSR has Maya Grill.

Best pool: CBR, CSR, POFQ and POR in that ranking. The pool at Old Port Royale in CBR is gorgeously themed with zero entry area. The one at CSR is huge with a Mayan temple. All four have slides.

Rooms: Love POR and CSR. CSR wins because of their duvets on the bed that makes it sooo cozy. CBR meh...they need a refurb. The room I was assinged this year smelled and looked no better than a motel 6. My coworker shared the sentiment which is why, until there is a refurb, I will not go to CBR again.

All of them have gorgeous grounds to walk around. CSR and CBR both have areas around lakes where you can sit outside and relax on chairs or even a hammock!

POFQ and POR have boat rides to DTD when there isn't bad weather.

Transportation wise, POR, CSR and CBR are HUGE resorts which, depending on where you're staying and time of arrival to your closest bus stop, may have you riding on a packed bus.

Depending on where your room is, you may have a long walk to the shops, reception and food court. This doesn't bother me as, when I arrive at WDW, my brain clicks into "there will be a ton of walking" mode.

So, my fav? It's a toss up between CSR and POR. If I had to pick right now, I would lean towards POR. I love the mansions area, (specifically Acadian house) and the boats to DTD. Also, it reminds me of a place I used to stay at as a kid. :-)

All of this info is so helpful, and I appreciate you all responding to me with your favorites and also general information that will affect my stay but that isn't necessarily available on the Disneyworld website. I plan to do some more research but your opinions are very helpful. So thanks again!

I guess what I meant by "best bus system" is which resort has the most convenient bus transportion to the parks? Is there one moderate where the busses tend to be less crowded or take less time to get to the parks? I know all the moderates have multiple stops, so I know I won't have to walk that much to get to the bus stops, and I don't mind walking. I just don't want to waste a lot of time riding on a bus, especially if it's really crowded and I don't have a seat.

POFQ because of it's size and decor. And the transportation to DTD is great too

I liked CSR and POR the most, with a slight edge to CSR. Most people say the busses are the same and luck of the draw depending on when you show up at the bus stop... You can just miss your bus and wait twenty minutes at any resort. I did think the bus was less crowded at C S R. At pick up after being in the parks, C S R was one of the first ones you come to, so a bit less walking when you're tired out for the day. I think they make the busses just a bit better there to cater to the conventioneers ( who we never even noticed).

I guess what I meant by "best bus system" is which resort has the most convenient bus transportion to the parks? Is there one moderate where the busses tend to be less crowded or take less time to get to the parks? I know all the moderates have multiple stops, so I know I won't have to walk that much to get to the bus stops, and I don't mind walking. I just don't want to waste a lot of time riding on a bus, especially if it's really crowded and I don't have a seat.

Somewhere I remember seeing a chart that gave how long it takes from different resorts once you're on the bus to get to the parks, DTD, etc. I can't seem to find it now. Maybe if you look over at the transportation board you might find it mentioned...or try to google something like that.

As far as not having a seat on a bus, it does help to request your room near the first bus stop(which isn't always stop #1). If you look on the transportation boards you might find what the route is for each resort. For example, the first stop at CSR is stop #2. It's also helpful at the end of the day, since you're the first one to get off the bus. Also, some people say that CSR busses aren't quite a crowded since many conventioneers stay around the resort for their meetings rather than go to the parks.

We loved POFQ - bus system was fantastic during our stay. We stayed at POR and the bus was awful. There was always a huge line and they have 4 stops so once you get on, you have to go through the resort to each stop. We were in a Royal Room and none of the bus stops were that convenient for us with small kids.

POFQ is really nice b/c it's smaller - with them only having one bus stop, you're on and off in no time. The lines for the bus were never too long. Like POR, they have the boat to Downtown Disney. My kids enjoyed that.

I'm sure you'll hear lots of mixed feedback on this subject but for us, POFQ is the hands down winner.

CSR for its nice rooms, awesome pool, great bus service, deluxe toiletries, and the theme.

We loved CBR and POR but not CSR as much. I think the feel is less family which might be fine fine for some without children or older children but we missed the bigger food courts and Disney atmosphere. That is the only moderate we would probably not return to.

Caribbean Beach. It has the largest rooms of the moderates, the best themed pool, and is the most colorful. They also have numerous bus stops, so you're never far away from transportation.

I have stayed at all 4 in the last 2 years. I would go back to all 4 too!

POR/POFQ on a river, get a boat to DTD, room decor interesting. Good food options. POR has a large QS place, plenty of room.

CBR , lake here, the outside is gorgeous, the rooms are large but double beds and room decor plain. Food good not as much seating.

CSR is my fav. Lake here too, inside of rooms pretty, more of a deluxe feel here.
Some like pepper mkt some don't. We like it but I eat most meals at parks.

Busses: rope drop and after fireworks/parades all resort busses are busy from value up to grand floridian. We get to bus stop 45 mins before rope drop and have never missed it in many many trips. For fireworks we leave early or just shop after until it clears out a bit.

Look at the pictures, if it looks good you will love it. Always way nicer in person!

All 4 have a strong base of people that love that resort so really you can't go wrong.

Another vote for CBR. We loved CBR. Very large room and comfy beds. The resort is absolutely beautiful and great pools. We never ever had a problem with the buses. What ever you decide you can't go wrong, because you will be on vacation at WDW!! Enjoy the planning. :cool1:

I've stayed at all of them, and my ranking is

1. POR - I think Disney has done a great job theming this one... I love the grounds and landscaping. I used to like the mansions better, but last year we stayed in the Bayou rooms, and I loved the secluded feeling. I also like the small Murphy bed that my youngest can sleep in so the kids don't need to share a room. I'll be requesting the bayou again for our trip in 12 days :)

2. CSR - the rooms are nicest here, and this resort is also nice to stroll around. The Mayan themed pool is a lot of fun (get there for the pool opening ceremony if you're skipping the parks one day). It is large, but we had a car which helped for getting meals during some heavy downpours.

3. CBR - the grounds are lush, and the pool is nice. If you like the island, tropical feel, this may be a good choice. However, the rooms are "tired", and as has been mentioned, could use a rehab. I agree that once they are refurbed, this one is worth another try.

4. POFQ - I know many like this mod the best, but it just didn't appeal to us. I like the meandering, lush pathways of the other resorts, and this didn't have that. I'm sure the kids would love the dragon slide (we were here before we had kids). if walking is an issue, then this is probably the best mod because it is so much smaller than the others.

Also, POR and POFQ have the boat to downtown Disney, which is a nice option.

As for the bus service, we've had great and bad experiences at all the resorts. I think so much has to do with the timing of when you arrive at a bus stop. If a bus just pulled away, then you will need to wait for the next bus. I haven't experienced many occasions where the bus arrives full and just drives past. (Actually, the worst for that in my experience was the Beach Club... SO frustrating!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter