Which Moderate Hotel do you prefer?

Disney DayDreamer

Mouseketeer
I am in the beginning stages of planning our family's 4th trip together, (my husband's and my 7th trip to Disney) This is the first time we are considering staying at a moderate hotel. We usually go for the best deal, the cheapest way to stay, but this year, we are considering a moderate hotel. Our daugther will be 9 this summer and it's her last year as a child, next year meals and tickets will be more for her.

We are planning on going in September or October, since we loved our trip 2 years ago in September the best. We really enjoyed the MNSSHP the best, and that's all my husband has talked about since then. The good thing about that is that is value season, and prices shouldn't be too bad. So we should be able to get a deal for free dining or at least a significant room rate discount.

So let me hear your favorite moderate hotels and why.:banana:

Having only stayed at 2 of the 4 Moderate resorts (visited POFQ many times though) ... my preference is POR for its rustic charm and beautiful grounds.

Everyone has his or her own unique preferences and tastes. What is a favourite resort for some is the least favourite for others. Each resort has its own special theme, and these are extremely well carried out.

The best thing for you to do is to go to each of the resort threads and read through them. Understand the amenities at each of the 4 resorts. Look at the resort photos. Then decide which of them really appeals most to you and your family.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. We've been multiple times at each of them. Now we just pick a resort based on the theme we like best for that particular trip (for example we tend not to pick CBR for winter trips because it seemed so incongruous to be wandering amongst the tropical foliage when we were wearing jackets, scarves and gloves!:laughing:)

Room quality: PO: FQ (rooms refurb's are wonderful... like a moderate Plus+)
2nd place: new rooms at PO:Riverside

Landscaping: PO:Riverside (award winning, beautiful walks)
Voted #2: Caribbean Beach

Least walking, quaint, great for : PO: FQ

Least crowded food court: C.Springs or PO: FQ

Craziest Food Court at 8:00 a.m.? : PO: Riverside

Nicest Gift Shop?: PO: Riverside

Runners: C.Springs, Riverside

We also tend to go to Port Orleans Riverside...you get picked up on the bus before POFQ. There is a nice boat to go to Downtown Disney. It is very pleasant there.

#1: POFQ - I fell in love with this resort when I stayed there in 2010 and am looking forward to another stay in the future. It was DD's first trip, she was still an infant, and as a single mom it meant just the 2 of us. It only took me 5 minutes to get wherever I wanted to go on the resort grounds (20 minutes if DD "had" to walk and stop to try to pick up something every 2 steps!). The food was good, the pools were good, the transportation was excellent. Though we often shared a bus with POR we were the first pick-up and I never had to worry about knocking someone over while collapsing/carrying/stowing the stroller. Also, we enjoyed the boat ride over to POR for a change of scenery. We dined over there a couple of nights or just walked the grounds.

#2: CS - This resort is night and day from POFQ and much, much larger. I booked us at a value for our trip last April and lasted 1 night before I upgraded to a mod, CS happened to be the one that had a room for us. We were ALL the way at the back of the resort but the grounds are spectacular (in my opinion). I liked Pepper Market's open food court (now a buffet), the pools were great, and the sliding door between the living and bathroom areas meant I didn't accidentally wake-up a toddler in the morning! Transportation was also good though there was one day when an Epcot bus didn't arrive for over an hour. The poor CM kept calling for a bus and one never showed. That was a glitch though and every other ride was great.

Everyone has his or her own unique preferences and tastes. What is a favourite resort for some is the least favourite for others. Each resort has its own special theme, and these are extremely well carried out.

The best thing for you to do is to go to each of the resort threads and read through them. Understand the amenities at each of the 4 resorts. Look at the resort photos. Then decide which of them really appeals most to you and your family.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. We've been multiple times at each of them. Now we just pick a resort based on the theme we like best for that particular trip (for example we tend not to pick CBR for winter trips because it seemed so incongruous to be wandering amongst the tropical foliage when we were wearing jackets, scarves and gloves!:laughing:)

I totally agree. That said my personal fav is POFQ. I really like how small and quiet it is. I also really love the room rehab at CSR and they have an awesome pool.

We loved Coronado. We had no complaints at all. Loved having dedicated bus service!

I have stayed at all of them, more than once except for CBR (only stayed there one time) My favorite is CSR. I love it there! I think it is just gorgeous and like a vacation within a vacation. The Dig Site Pool is out of this world and I love the Casitas section the best. I have also have great bus service there during our stays. We will be staying there again in 26 days!! :cloud9:

I also have to say that POFQ comes in second for us. I love the quaint feel of the resort and everything is close. The boat to DTD is really lovely. I am not a fan of the bus service although, when they share buses with POR they do usually pick up and drop off first at FQ. The pool is ok, but not as nice as CSR.

I've stayed at CSR twice and POR once. I give a slight edge to POR because I prefer the theme and the landscaping quite a bit. Otherwise I don't think you can go wrong at either one.
Personally I've never desired to stay at the other 2. CBR theme doesn't appeal and we walked around POFQ on one trip and I found it a little barren landscaping wise. That being said, you kind of have to go with the theme that appeals to you because everyone has there own preference.

We have only stayed at one and that is the Coronado (CSR); we've stayed nine times and had nine wonderful stays. We would have been there this past September except we got a great deal at two DVC resorts. We love everything about the CSR -- the theme, the layout, the rooms, the food, pool, hot tub, queen beds and being able to get a massage.

We have visited all of the other moderates (walked around, peeked in the rooms, eaten at the food courts, etc.) and, if we could not get the CSR, we would stay at the POR-Riverside--greta food court, nice theme, currently being rehabbed with queen beds, nice pool area. POFQ would be a distant third and CBR would be our last choice. This is not to say there is anything wrong with POFQ or CBR, the themes do not appeal to us or the pool areas.

I have stayed at all of the moderates and here is the list of favorites and why:

1. POFQ- great food, smaller grounds (but still connected to POR if you would like to go for a walk), and a boat connection to DTD. Also the first stop for buses (handy for after EMH).

2. POR- great food, great pool and playground (best in all of WDW), boat to DTD.

3. Both CBR and CSR are tied for third. I hear that the pool for CBR is fantastic now (I stayed there before it was redone), but the food court was not so good. And the buses I really disliked. The CSR is very spread out for my taste, and the food court was a table service, which i also disliked.

I hope this helps you make a decision :)

I agree completely.

Our favorite resort is CSR. We love the theming, the relaxed atmosphere, and the pool/playground area. :goodvibes However, I've read many posts where people did not care for it.

My family has never had any desire to stay at POR. The theming really does not appeal to us, but it gets tons of love on the Dis so we must have very different taste than many Disers. We will be trying it our next trip since we are a family of 5 and can no longer stay in one room at any of the other moderates. I'm hoping we are pleasantly surprised and see what so many others seem to love about this resort. :upsidedow

on the moderate resorts. It has been helpful. Yes, I know everyone is different and have their own opionions and interests, but still it was helpful to hear what moderate hotels everyone liked and why they liked them.

To us, a family of 3 with a now 8 year old daughter, the distance from our room to bus stops is probably one of the most important features for us. In every trip before this we stayed at a standard room in either All Star Movies, All Star Music or Pop Century. We've never paid the extra for a preferred room. This year we are debating between upgrading to a preferred room at a Value resort or possibly trying for a first time a moderate resort.

We don't care much about the theming of the hotel, they are all great, better than any Super 8 or Best Western anywhere else we go, because of course they are Disney hotels. We are weighing our options out. If we get lucky and get free dining in Sept again, we could get a better free dining plan with table meals - even character meals. With a moderate you get a refrigerator and a pool with a slide. These are +s that might outweigh the upgrade at a Value to a preferred room. But that being said we would only be able to afford a standard room. A standard room at a Value resort can be VERY far away from the bus stop, that we experienced on our last trip. We are not one to ask for upgrades or specific locations, we just take what we are given at check in, and try and make the best of it.

I have heard some of the hotels grounds are very very large. But I believe they have mulitiple stops. This sounds nice. I don't care as much about the food court, because when we are going to the food court is either first thing in the morning or after an afternoon break. The walk to the food court 1st thing in the morning is nothing, compared to the walk to the room, after a long day at the park.

Also we aren't fancy eaters, food courts with simple things is all we usually look for in a hotel. We don't really like sit down restaurants in our hotel.

From everyone's comments, it seems as though POFQ may be our hotel to try. It sounds small enough, has boat transportation to DTD and POR, which would be a cool new experience for us. My only concern is I read somewhere, not sure where now, someone saying how far the walk was from Bldg 7 to the bus stop and food court. Has anyone been able to stay at the furtherest bldg from say All-Star Music (which I think is country, because that's where we were) and the furthest bldg at POFQ and be able to give a comparison as to whether one is better or worse, or if they are about the same. POFQ only has 1 bus stop, is that correct? POR has mulitiple? Also POR has multiple pools too, don't they? I may have to research and compare out both options.

POFQ small resort, beautiful theming, quiet and peaceful gardens to sit in and watch the world go by. Option to walk to POR to use larger food court/TS restaurant for change of scene. Comfortable beds. Everything close by. Boat to DTD, lovely resort my favourite.

POFQ is great for all of the reasons previously mentioned. I've stayed in every building there, including No. 7. All of the resort's rooms are just a short walk to the food court, lobby and bus stop. Five minutes is all you need to get anywhere on the grounds.

I didn't think I would like POFQ's theming and resisted staying there for many years. When I finally did, I became a convert. The small size, excellent staff, proximity to Downtown Disney, and efficient transportation have spoiled me.

POFQ is great for all of the reasons previously mentioned. I've stayed in every building there, including No. 7. All of the resort's rooms are just a short walk to the food court, lobby and bus stop. Five minutes is all you need to get anywhere on the grounds.

I didn't think I would like POFQ's theming and resisted staying there for many years. When I finally did, I became a convert. The small size, excellent staff, proximity to Downtown Disney, and efficient transportation have spoiled me.

I think you just sealed the deal for me:yay: I've spent countless hours researching and was leaning towards POFQ..now I'm convinced! Just curious..how long of a walk is it from POFQ to POR?

I think you just sealed the deal for me:yay: I've spent countless hours researching and was leaning towards POFQ..now I'm convinced! Just curious..how long of a walk is it from POFQ to POR?

10 minutes or take the boat....but the walk is quicker than waiting from the boat, at least it was for us when my husband and the kids took the boat and my youngest daughter and I walked it!

The walk from POFQ to POR is about 10-15 minutes and is quite pleasant with a broad sidewalk along the waterway. Runners like to use the path, too. You can take the boat, but you'll likely wait longer for it than it would take to walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter