Which moderate for Poly lover?

justme0729

DIS Veteran
I really love the Polynesian for the following reasons:
  • tropical, beachy atmosphere
  • feeling of the middle of the "magic"- always something to watch or do nearby (boats, monorail, Wishes, castle changing colors, people walking around, hanging on beach, MK resorts etc.)
  • convenient monorail access to MK and Epcot
  • Ohana Dinner
  • Kona Breakfast
  • Close to dining at MK resorts or MK/ Epcot
  • Sunny lounging by pool on beach or pool deck
  • Lounges inside and outside
Which moderate would you recommend? I like the theming at CBR but like the boat to DTD at POR and the mansion section is attractive but not as great as the sandy beaches at CBR. CSR is pretty but might not have a lot going on there?

CSR is very quiet but if a convention is happening it will be busy. I like it because it is quiet and relaxing. POR I just came from and stayed in a royal suite room but to me there was no difference between this room and a regular resort room. POR is family friendly and therefore very busy. CBR I heard is going through an update and is not pretty (worn down look). If you want quiet go to CSR if you want family friendly with the boats then POR is for you. I am planning to go back next year and heading for CSR it will be my fourth stay there.

I think CSR would tick the most items off your wish list ...

1. Somewhat beachy near the cabanas with hammocks and sand
2. It has lush grounds with a beautiful walking trail around the lake, a great pool and hot tub, arcade, fitness center, and spa
3. There are multiple eateries/lounges
4. It has arguably the best bus service and is a well-located resort

CBR

It's going through a refurb now and the new rooms looks quite nice and more upscale. It has the beachy/tropical feel you like and has a great pool. Your very close to DHS and Epcot and can see some of the higher fireworks from Illuminations.

I really love the Polynesian for the following reasons:
  • tropical, beachy atmosphere
  • feeling of the middle of the "magic"- always something to watch or do nearby (boats, monorail, Wishes, castle changing colors, people walking around, hanging on beach, MK resorts etc.)
  • convenient monorail access to MK and Epcot
  • Ohana Dinner
  • Kona Breakfast
  • Close to dining at MK resorts or MK/ Epcot
  • Sunny lounging by pool on beach or pool deck
  • Lounges inside and outside
Which moderate would you recommend? I like the theming at CBR but like the boat to DTD at POR and the mansion section is attractive but not as great as the sandy beaches at CBR. CSR is pretty but might not have a lot going on there?
I'm gonna toss in CBR as well. Meets all of those requirements except monorail. You can even watch Illuminations from the hotel pool, which is neat.

I really like all of the WDW Resort for their specific themes but the Poly is the Poly. This year we're hopping around to 3 different resorts. They make it so easy to sample if you're staying for a week or more. Have Bell Services transport your bags in the morning when you check out. Check in after a day in the parks and have them bring your bags to your room. Couple tips. They're happy and I'm happy!

If you really like the Poly but the expense is too much for the budget, I suggest you try a moderate for 3-4 nights then transfer to the Poly to put a perfect nightcap on your vacation.

So, you didn't mention SIZE. We are also Poly lovers....but sometimes the budget doesn't allow, so for the past couple trips we have been 'forced' to stay elsewhere. One of the things I have taken for granted about the Poly is its small size. All the other moderates are HUGE! And walking back to your room after a long day at the parks. Or just going up to the main building for breakfast then back to your room to finish getting ready can be very time consuming.
For this reason alone, we love French Quarter. Love Love Love it. It is small and convenient, has a great food court, boat to DTD, one bus stop.....and the trees are very nice for some shade! Beautiful landscaping.
Some people don't even consider it because it doesn't have a sit down restaurant. But Riverside is just a short walk, boat or bus ride away....closer than the walk to the main building at the other mods...
The two Port Orleans resorts are "sister resorts". That means you can swim in any of PORs pools, rent surrey bikes, eat at Riverside Mill, do anything you want at Riverside but still have the small size of POFQ. Plus, you have many awesome dining options just a short boat ride away at DTD.
So my vote is FQ :)

I love the Poly, and CSR is my fave Mod. Here is why...lots of amenities for a Mod, several restaurants, great pool(best theming on property IMO)its quiet. POR Riverside is my 2nd fave for theming and boat to DTD, CBR last, just dont care much for it

So your list is going to be hard for a moderate to live up to. But I would offer either CSR for the dining choices and the similarity to the tropics (plus a very nice pool) or POR because it just is beautiful and the boat transportation is not only fun but convenient now that DTD (or Dizsprings) is under construction and even busses are delayed.
My 2cents
:)

CBR refurb is (or is very, very near) completed. I believe the only work left is the pirate themed rooms. The new rooms are very much a Poly-light version. There are beaches in each section with chairs and everything to lay out in. It definitely has more of a tropical vibe. The food court is fun, but I believe the restaurant only serves dinner. For me, I prefer visiting the deluxe resorts for meals, no matter where I stay. And that may be a good way to spend some time at the Poly. Also, I believe there is just the pool bar there. None inside. Everything is located together, with the pool next to the food court.

CSR is the most deluxe feeling mod. The pool is a bit more grand and tropical looking. It has a restaurant open for breakfast. And it has a lounge and a pool bar, and I believe another outdoor bar just outside the food court area. The pool is on the opposite side of the lake. The decor here really ranges though, some have more of a Mexico feel, while some are more southwest ranch style. The beaches here are small and have only a couple hammocks. No chairs to lay. It is also quieter, you will find less of a crowd at the indoor lounge here than you would at the poly.

For both POR and POFQ, these will have similarities to CBR as far as restaurants and bars go, minus beaches. The question there is if you are interested in the different theming or if you will go to downtown disney enough to make it worth it.

If tropical vibe is more important, I would go CBR. If a nicer pool and a breakfast restaurant are, I would go CSR.

POFQ is our choice at a moderate, wish they would do free dining as we are staying this fall at CBR to get the free dining.

CBR

It's going through a refurb now and the new rooms looks quite nice and more upscale. It has the beachy/tropical feel you like and has a great pool. Your very close to DHS and Epcot and can see some of the higher fireworks from Illuminations.

Another vote for CBR, large rooms, tropical feel, quiet, multiple pools.

POR, it's not the Poly, no, however it is tied with the Poly and BC for our favorite resort. Yes, we consider this moderate as fabulous as the two deluxes. Nothing better than a preferred room facing the quiet pool, so peaceful and serene, even more so then the Poly and BC. POR is so relaxing and we love the food court. The boat to DTD is a fun perk as well. No, it's not tropical so the other moderates may be better for you. However, what we like about is the 'feel', which is it's own, and different than the Poly, and we love it just as much. It might be better to try something different so you aren't spending your time comparing.

So, you didn't mention SIZE. We are also Poly lovers....but sometimes the budget doesn't allow, so for the past couple trips we have been 'forced' to stay elsewhere. One of the things I have taken for granted about the Poly is its small size. All the other moderates are HUGE! And walking back to your room after a long day at the parks. Or just going up to the main building for breakfast then back to your room to finish getting ready can be very time consuming.
For this reason alone, we love French Quarter. Love Love Love it. It is small and convenient, has a great food court, boat to DTD, one bus stop.....and the trees are very nice for some shade! Beautiful landscaping.
Some people don't even consider it because it doesn't have a sit down restaurant. But Riverside is just a short walk, boat or bus ride away....closer than the walk to the main building at the other mods...
The two Port Orleans resorts are "sister resorts". That means you can swim in any of PORs pools, rent surrey bikes, eat at Riverside Mill, do anything you want at Riverside but still have the small size of POFQ. Plus, you have many awesome dining options just a short boat ride away at DTD.
So my vote is FQ :)

I agree 10000000% !

Since you specified so many particular things you love about POLY, I decided to leave a comment about which mod, imo, is best for that particular feature.
  • tropical, beachy atmosphere CBR
  • feeling of the middle of the "magic"- always something to watch or do nearby (boats, monorail, Wishes, castle changing colors, people walking around, hanging on beach, MK resorts etc.) POR/POFQ
  • convenient monorail access to MK and Epcot mmm.. none of the moderates can match the convenience of the deluxes, however CSR is centrally located & basically across the street from Blizzard Beach. CBR is close to Hollywood Studios. POR/POFQ aren't too far from MK, boat transportation to DTD is nice, and only a short bus ride to DTD or Typhoon Lagoon.
  • Ohana Dinner mmm... none of the mods are known for food however, Shutters at CBR recently had a chef change & is getting fantastic reviews!
  • Kona Breakfast see above^
  • Close to dining at MK resorts or MK/ Epcot Again, none too close to MK, however POR/POFQ are the closest. Most moderates are close to Epcot. We took a cab from POR/POFQ to the Epcot resorts & never spent more than $12.
  • Sunny lounging by pool on beach or pool deck CBR & CSR are the best pools for sunny lounging & the best pools of the mods as far as theme-ing. POR/POFQ are more shaded pools.
  • Lounges inside and outside POR/POFQ/CSR all offer nice bars/lounges with entertainment. POR has Yehaa Bob, POFQ has live music, & CSR has a DJ on weekends.
Imo, SIZE is the most important thing to remember about the mods. It is the one thing that I can't stand. POFQ hands down wins for me. I love that is only have one bus stop, never found bus stop mobbed when leaving the parks at night, boat to dtd, very lush, & beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter