• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which method of transportation would be best for us?

Kanga1

DIS Veteran
Here's what we want to do...there are 3 of us.

-Fly to MCO
-Take DME to a value resort for a one-night stay
-Get to the port terminal the next morning BEFORE the rush of WDW transfers
-At the end of the cruise, take the WDW transfer back to CBR for a 7-night stay
-DME to MCO at the end of our land portion

What would be most convenient, yet cost effective, for us to do this? Also, can I check in for the cruise at a value resort the day before sailing?

Our first Disney cruise...lots of questions!

If you want to get to the port before the rush, I really would recommend a private car service to a resort near the port with a free shuttle to the port. The port is about an hour from Disney with no traffic.

The value resorts do not have DCL desks in them, so it is my understanding that you would need to check in at the port.

You might honestly be better off (and cheaper) booking a round trip car service to and from the port as the DCL bus is not cheap. Look in to Tiffany Towncars or Happy Limo, we've used both.

Kanga I'm pretty much in the same boat (har har ;) ) as you with deciding these specific details. This is also our first cruise...

What we have decided is to stay at the Hyatt @ MCO so we can check in for the DCL transfer first thing the day of our cruise. This way we get to the terminal early. The morning airport DCL transfer gets there before the resort DCL transfer from my understanding.

If you are planning on leaving from on property you can either rent a car or have a company like Happy Limo come pick you up for the transfer, and then just take DCL back to the resort after. We are going to Kidani after our cruise to relax and view the Christmas decorations.

What time of day are you arriving? If you are arriving later you might be better served to stay onsite at the MCO Hyatt. They also have a pool to enjoy and restaurant to eat at. Very convenient and provides the luggage pick up service and will help you with DCL bus check in. It saves a trip to DME and waiting for the bus then riding to WDW and then getting to where the DCL busses pick up in the morning. Someone else can say for sure about where the DCL busses pick up, but I think they are at select Mod and Value resorts now, correct? As others have said DCL from the airport will get you to the terminal 10:30ish since the begin to depart between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. If you are at the resort I would say a town car for the three of you is the best bet to get there before the busses begin to. Will cost about the same for a town car vs. Disney transport. Then you can use DCL bus on the way back or the town car service for the remainder of your stay.

We often do the exact senario that you are doing. We rent a one-way rental at the airport and return next morning to the Port Canaveral station. That way you have use of it the night before the cruise to do dinner or mini-golf if you like.

Then after the cruise, we pick up a rental at Port Canaveral and return it to the airport when we leave.

If you plan to stay more than a day or two at WDW after the cruise, I would use a private towncar for the return to WDW and then use DME for the trip to the airport.

PS - I love your two meezers in your avatar. I have a tortie point and a seal point meezers at home.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Well, I'm considering 2 options now...

-Renting a car at the airport to go to WDW for the night before our cruise. Go to DTD, get in the Disney mood, etc. and then driving ourselves to the port.

OR

-Staying at the Hyatt and taking DCL transfer to the port the next morning. That seems most convenient as far as pre-boarding docs, etc. Also, if I go with this option, do I still collect my own bags at baggage claim or does DCL do this for me?

I've priced the town cars and they all seem so expensive!! $270 etc. for R/T! DCL R/T transfers will cost us $210. Maybe I'm not looking at the right ones.

-Renting a car at the airport to go to WDW for the night before our cruise. Go to DTD, get in the Disney mood, etc. and then driving ourselves to the port.

This is what we are doing. We are not doing the parks but plan on arriving a day early and staying at one of the DVC resorts. We will be renting a car at MCO, driving to our hotel on Disney, visting DTD and eating at Earl of Sandwhich :-)love: that place) and making a stop at the liquor store for our adult beverages. Then when we arrive at the port, DH will drop me and the kids off with our luggage and then return the car.

Remember that when you get to the port regardless of time. You can stand in line or just stand around. They don't load the ship until they are ready. This makes it irrevelant if you come by rental car, shuttle or DLC bus.

For convinence the airport Hyatt is the way to go. You will have to pick up your bags after your flight and take them back to the ME check in desk the next morning. But you are only going to take one bus, and relax the rest of the time.

But for price, I bet the Hyatt is $200 plus per night. Staying at a Value resort will be cheaper and offer you the chance to tour the world a bit or just get into Disney mode.

I'd consider the time you arrive and if you can get to WDW and do stuff or if your just going to settle in.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Well, I'm considering 2 options now...

OR

-Staying at the Hyatt and taking DCL transfer to the port the next morning. That seems most convenient as far as pre-boarding docs, etc. Also, if I go with this option, do I still collect my own bags at baggage claim or does DCL do this for me?

I've priced the town cars and they all seem so expensive!! $270 etc. for R/T! DCL R/T transfers will cost us $210. Maybe I'm not looking at the right ones.

You will need to grab your bags when you arrive and take them with you to the room. The Hyatt will then take them during the night and get them to DCL to get to the ship after you board. They will explain the process to you and is nice and simple. Put them outside the door and won't see them again until they are in your room.

www.happylimo.com has r/t town car service from MCO to PC and back for $220.00 (not including driver tip) and r/t from Disney to PC at $242.00 (not including driver tip). www.mousesavers.com has a 10% off discount code. So MCO trip is under $200 and Disney resort is about $218.00.

Well not sure if this helps but here I go:
They do now have DCL desk at Pop century so I would imagine they would have it at the All-Stars but I could be wrong.

I would take DME from the airport to the resort. On the following day yuo can rent a car from either the Car Care centre located on propert or from the Dolphine Resort. Rent one way if you can there is a return location for National or alamo as those are the 2 that serice WDW. You can then either return to WDW after the cruise by disney transport (you can buy 1 way transfers) or rent a car and wait for the shuttle to pick you up and drop you off at the rental location. Then return the car at either of the 2 retal location named above. Following you land stay return by using DME.

Hope this helps. I would just check on rental locations for National / Alamo.
Have a wonderful cruise!

Here's what we want to do...there are 3 of us.

-Fly to MCO
-Take DME to a value resort for a one-night stay
-Get to the port terminal the next morning BEFORE the rush of WDW transfers
-At the end of the cruise, take the WDW transfer back to CBR for a 7-night stay
-DME to MCO at the end of our land portion

What would be most convenient, yet cost effective, for us to do this? Also, can I check in for the cruise at a value resort the day before sailing?

Our first Disney cruise...lots of questions!

Hmm. You're staying on-property the first nite for what purpose?
Just a place to sleep between your arrival at MCO and your cruise departure the next day, or are you going to get a day of park visitation in?
If it is the former, I'd nix the 15 mile trip SWest to WDW and stay at/near MCO. The hotels there are about the same price as WDW and you'll typically get a free breakfast at a Fairfield, Springhill or Hampton.
Then have FL Tours limo, or some other company take you to the Port the next day. Currently, that trip costs about $130 incl. gratuity -- also includes a grocery stop, which you will never get on the bus.
That's what we (family of 3 as well) are doing this Friday-Saturday. 3 is the break-point as you know between the $/person cost of the transfer and the limo cost.
Back end from cruise to CVillage and then back to the airport looks good.

We always come in the day/evening before the cruise. I've done this a lot of ways but by-far prefer the following:

-Hyatt at airport is most convenient, but a tad boring. Great if you're coming in late. Take DCL transfer in morning or a limo service. Limo is cheaper, DCL transfer is more convenient.

-Rental car or limo to Port Canaveral hotel. I prefer a rental car then we can run around once we're at the port.

I don't really see the draw to a WDW resort for a one-day gig. You'll waste a lot of time on transportation without much Disney bang unless you're going to a park.

Well, you all have been very helpful and continue to give me things to think about.

The reason I am contemplating going to Disney that first night is to take in DTD or play some mini-golf and get that Disney feeling right away.:love: We are also trying to complete our goal of staying at all Disney resorts (silly, I know, and we have a looonngg way to go) but it would give us a night to stay in one of the resorts. We will be arriving probably around 11:00am, so we would have most of the day still.

The Hyatt looks like a nice option too. I tried the Hotwire thing that I saw on another post for a date in July (our cruise isn't until 2011) and the Hyatt came up at $216!! I'll keep checking that one.

Keep the thoughts coming...I've got a LOT of time to decide!:laughing:

If you're getting in at 11 am, I think you'd be bored with 22 hours at the MCO Hyatt. You should rent a car, go to the value resort, hang out at pool and DTD, drive the car to the port the next day. If you time it right, you'd only have a one-day, one-way rental.

If you're getting in at 11 am, I think you'd be bored with 22 hours at the MCO Hyatt. You should rent a car, go to the value resort, hang out at pool and DTD, drive the car to the port the next day. If you time it right, you'd only have a one-day, one-way rental.

Yupp, I'd agree completely. Especially if you have 2 adults to manage the Port drop-off of kids, luggage and, while you run the rental car to a gas station and then to the drop-off location . . . typically, a couple miles down A1A towards Cocoa Beach.
Figure 30 minutes of inconvenience for the flexibility and cost-savings of the one-day car rental. We did this for our last DCL (after a 6-day stay on-property with the rental car) and it was definitely the way to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter