• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

which lens as a starting lens?

d3mckinl

Earning My Ears
I've decided to purchace the D90 as my first dslr ostly due to its good rep and the awsome feel im my hands. I'm torn what lens to put on it. My options are :

1) the kit lens (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens)
2)Tamron AF 28-200MM F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical [IF] Macro
or
3)Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

I like to shoot on vacation, my animals without the noise of the camera spooking them , plants/ flowers, and Am planning on taking this body/lense combo on an upcomming alaskian criuse.

The price for any of theese 3 lenses on the D90 body are within $20 at the local camera shop so I'm looking for what will fit me needs best. if there is annother lense that you uys and gals would reccomend for about the same price point ($250) please let me know.

Thanks.

I would toss the 28mm one out right away. That is not very wide on a crop sensor camera. Between the two others, I suspect the Nikon is the better lens. It is a kit lens, but nothing like the standard 18-55mm kit which is often criticized.

I was wondering if I would miss those 10mm on the wide end of the zoom. Other than nearly double the reach of the tameron over the nikon are there any other reasons to choose one over the other? The reviews online look good for both lenses and I'm looking for personal feelings on the reach of a 105 vs a 200 lense for vacation, cruise, and general shooting.

Thanks

I would definitely miss those 10mm on the wide end. At Disney especially, I find myself always wanting to go wider. Sure you can back up to get all the castle in your shot, but by the time you get there 10 or 20 people will get between you and your shot.

Being able to go wide opened up all sorts of new possibilities for me at Disney.

I think the kit 18-135 lens is your best option. I'm actually looking at picking up an 18-135 to replace the 18-55 kit lens I have on my canon. Having that extra bit of reach (from 55 - 135) would make it a very nice walking around lens.

I think the kit 18-135 lens is your best option. I'm actually looking at picking up an 18-135 to replace the 18-55 kit lens I have on my canon. Having that extra bit of reach (from 55 - 135) would make it a very nice walking around lens.

I really enjoyed the 18-135 a couple of weeks ago while at WDW. I left home thinking that the new 17-55 2.8 I had just bought would be the ultimate ticket walk-around. After a couple of days, I decided to just throw the 18-135 on for a day since I had never even played with it. The extra reach helped me more than the constant 2.8 and in an irony of ironies, the 18-135 ended up being my walk-around for the rest of the trip.

I love my 17-55. Don't get me wrong. It definately has a use, but until something comes along that convinces me differently, the 18-135 is my walk-around lens/go-to for now, especially outside.

I shoot with a 28-105 on my Canon crop cameras, and it's wide enough for me but I know it's not for most people. I'm one of those weirdos who also finds the 50mm just perfect on my crop body.

Of the lenses listed I'd go with the Nikon 18-105. It's probably going to be the best all around glass of the 3. But what I'd go with may be totally different from what you need.

While I shoot with a 28-105 on my Canon crop cameras, and it's wide enough for me but I know it's not for most people. I'm one of those weirdos who also finds the 50mm just perfect on my crop body.

Of the lenses listed I'd go with the Nikon 18-105. It's probably going to be the best all around glass of the 3. But what I'd go with may be totally different from what you need.

Yep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter