• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Italian restaurant would you choose?

bookgirl2632

DIS Veteran
Currently, we have ADRs for Mama Melrose. However, I was wondering about Trattoria al Forno. I wanted to venture over to Boardwalk and was thinking about switching ADRs for this one. Does anyone have any experience at the new one? I see a lot of things written about Mama's, but not much on Trattoria.

I enjoyed the food at Mama Melrose, but I think it was better at Trattoria al Forno. We ate at MM in June and TaF in December.

If you're doing the Fantasmic package at MM, I'd stick with that and eat at Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. Otherwise, I'd go with TaF.

Trattoria al forno really surprised us this last trip, early June 2015. We had 2 delightful breakfasts and one relaxing dinner. Great mussels, calamari, etc. The kids really enjoyed their meals and desserts. A pretty rare thing for our picky eaters.

If you are going to the boardwalk, try it. Il mulini also good. I have no mama melrose experience to compare it to.

We went to Trattoria al Forno in May and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner - the food, service and ambiance were all wonderful. We've never been to MM so I can't compare but plan to return to Trattoria on future trips.

Not a huge fan of MM, much prefer Il Mullino to most of the Italian restaurants. I do however like the pizza at Via Napoli and the Zeppolies. I'm also looking forward to trying the Tratorria.

Il Mulino is the only Italian on property I think is worth bothering with. Via Napoli is okay for pizza, but Mama Melrose is disappointing Olive Garden quality food.

Haven't been to MM for a long, long time. It didn't make enough of an impression on us to continue dining there. We tried TAF shortly after it opened and loved it.:earsboy:

I didn't care for MM at all and won't be back. My kids did not like it either. Our experience is probably not the norm. We waited 40 minutes past our ADR time to be seated for a 1:30pm reservation. Our waiter was never to be found, had a really poor attitude and did not want to go get his manager when asked. I had to request he do it FOUR times. We had to ask other servers for drink refills and utensils for our entire party. The chef was not friendly when speaking to him about my food order (dairy allergy!) and seemed to be put out. My food came out overcooked and dry. DS requested pasta with butter on the side. It came looking like pasta soup because it was swimming butter. After we chased down a different server (because yet again we couldn't find ours) we were told it would be 20 minutes to get him new pasta! Lunch took two hours. It was ridiculous.

I just peeked at the menu for Trattoria al Forno and it looks so much better than MM. It's a quick walk over to Boardwalk from HS. I'd book an ADR there.

Ate at Trattoria al Forno 2 weeks ago and thought the foos was good. Our server was fantastic!

Would definitely return

If you're looking for an authentic experience, I don't think MM will be it. I do like to eat there, but I don't consider it authentic Italian. More on par with Olive Garden (but slightly better).

In March we ate at Portobello Country Italian Trattoria Downtown Disney (Springs) and enjoyed our meal. Had a table outside on the water, very relaxing.

Ate at Trattoria al Forno 2 weeks ago and thought the foos was good. Our server was fantastic!

Would definitely return

We also enjoyed Trattoria al Forno, we dined there in January as well as last month. We have reservations there again next week. ::yes::

Il Mulino is the only Italian on property I think is worth bothering with. Via Napoli is okay for pizza, but Mama Melrose is disappointing Olive Garden quality food.

Well said !! Mama Melrose was beyond disappointing the last time we tried it (and only then to get the Fantasmic seating). Still, we agreed as a family to just wait in line next time, rather than eat there again.

I haven't been to Trattoria al Forno yet, but have heard good things so far! Have a reservation there at the end of August.

That sounds wonderful! We need to try that.

We ate at Portobello in May 2015. Our server was the best we had all week. My DH still talks about the gnocchi he ordered and I enjoyed the seafood pasta I had. We would definitely visit again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter