• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which is the better week?

Sorry, but if crowds and wait times are going to dictate whether they are going to enjoy the parks are not...you are already going to lose. There is no "off season" for DLR really anymore so there will be lines and waiting regardless of when anyone goes.
The 20th will likely be busy due to the holiday, but the rest of the week has a lower crowd predictions than the week before (if you buy into that stuff). I don't think NAMM will have too much impact until the weekend.

I know you're right. Where did you find out about the crowd predictions? I have used isitpacked.com in the past and it proved pretty accurate. It says both weeks are "ghost town" weeks. I went this past January on the 28th and, though it seemed like there was a lot of people, I didn't have to wait in line for anything. I walked onto everything and was able to do several things more than once. Unfortunately, I can't go that week next year because my school starts on the 27th. I know there really isn't an off season anymore, though it's hard for me to accept! You wouldn't know we're in an economic recession if statistics were based solely on Disneyland attendance, but I understand why people still find the means to go: it's an escape from reality during tough times.

I will respond since my family went during this time earlier this year in Jan. We are from AZ & pulled my 5 kids out of school as this trip was their Christmas present.:)
Anyways, our first day was MLK day but b/c we drove we didn't go into the parks until around 2-3pm. Yes, it was crowded but we were taking it easy & only had a few must-dos. Mainly Splash & IASW plus parade & fireworks if my kids could handle it that late. It was awesome! We also went the following Tues-Fri and crowds were low. Best time to go IMHO. :) We got 2 sets of fast passes for RSR on 2 separate days!

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any ?'s you may have:)

Thank you! Do you remember any specific line times from the day of MLK Jr. Day? Were they like hours long, or 30 - 45 min?

I know you're right. Where did you find out about the crowd predictions? I have used isitpacked.com in the past and it proved pretty accurate. It says both weeks are "ghost town" weeks. I went this past January on the 28th and, though it seemed like there was a lot of people, I didn't have to wait in line for anything. I walked onto everything and was able to do several things more than once. Unfortunately, I can't go that week next year because my school starts on the 27th. I know there really isn't an off season anymore, though it's hard for me to accept! You wouldn't know we're in an economic recession if statistics were based solely on Disneyland attendance, but I understand why people still find the means to go: it's an escape from reality during tough times.

Really? You were able to walk on to RSR and TSMM anytime last year during your January trip? I have been on several trips where it wasn't as crowded as peak times, but certainly was not able to walk on to everthing. Many rides, sure...everything...no.

If you are into crowd predictions...Here are the #'s from Touring Plans:
Mon, January 13, 2014 4 out of 10 3.9 2.6
Tue, January 14, 2014 6 out of 10 6.1 2.8
Wed, January 15, 2014 5 out of 10 4.8 3.1
Thu, January 16, 2014 5 out of 10 4.9 3.3
Fri, January 17, 2014 5 out of 10 4.1 6.6
Sat, January 18, 2014 8 out of 10 7.3 7.8 SL SC
Sun, January 19, 2014 9 out of 10 6.6 9.5 SL SC
Mon, January 20, 2014 10 out of 10 7.2 9.6 SL MLK Jr Day
Tue, January 21, 2014 6 out of 10 5.4 5.9
Wed, January 22, 2014 4 out of 10 2.6 5.6
Thu, January 23, 2014 4 out of 10 3.3 5.4
Fri, January 24, 2014 3 out of 10 1.9 6.0

TP is predicting the later week will be less crowded after Monday. Whether they are correct remains to be seen.

Thank you! Do you remember any specific line times from the day of MLK Jr. Day? Were they like hours long, or 30 - 45 min?

Splash was probably a long wait, ie maybe 2 hours but I just got FP's first thing after we arrived in the park to use later. IASW holiday was probably a 30-45 min. wait but both of these rides were going down for refurb after that day so I'm sure that was another reason why they were unusually long.
Also, I forgot to mention that I don't think NAMM convention goers affected crowds at all except maybe on our last day which was Friday. By then we were just hitting our favorites again & again!

Really? You were able to walk on to RSR and TSMM anytime last year during your January trip? I have been on several trips where it wasn't as crowded as peak times, but certainly was not able to walk on to everthing. Many rides, sure...everything...no.

If you are into crowd predictions...Here are the #'s from Touring Plans:
Mon, January 13, 2014 4 out of 10 3.9 2.6
Tue, January 14, 2014 6 out of 10 6.1 2.8
Wed, January 15, 2014 5 out of 10 4.8 3.1
Thu, January 16, 2014 5 out of 10 4.9 3.3
Fri, January 17, 2014 5 out of 10 4.1 6.6
Sat, January 18, 2014 8 out of 10 7.3 7.8 SL SC
Sun, January 19, 2014 9 out of 10 6.6 9.5 SL SC
Mon, January 20, 2014 10 out of 10 7.2 9.6 SL MLK Jr Day
Tue, January 21, 2014 6 out of 10 5.4 5.9
Wed, January 22, 2014 4 out of 10 2.6 5.6
Thu, January 23, 2014 4 out of 10 3.3 5.4
Fri, January 24, 2014 3 out of 10 1.9 6.0

TP is predicting the later week will be less crowded after Monday. Whether they are correct remains to be seen.

I forgot to mention I only went to Disneyland when I went on January 28th. It was a special one day trip my mom got for me for my birthday. I could've chosen either park, but it just didn't seem right to not go to Disneyland! I haven't been to Cars Land yet and have heard that it has increased the crowds at CA Adventure significantly.

I wonder why they are saying Tuesday, the 14th will be a 6. Strange! But thanks for the info :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter