Which is more crowded, Weekend after Columbus Day or Thanksgiving?

Okiemom

Mouseketeer
We were planning on coming over Thanksgiving Holidays, but now might be looking at a long weekend after the Monday (Columbus Day). I figure Columbus day and the weekend before it will be crowded, but what about the weekend after Columbus day?

Weekends AFTER holiday weekends are usually nowhere near as bad as holiday weekends like Columbus Day. Thanksgiving is one of the busiest times to be at Disney World. I would avoid that at all costs if you can.

I'll hazard a guess that Thanksgiving would be much busier. My thinking is that in some parts of the country Columbus day is barely even a thing(i.e. the schools don't close in places I've lived) and pretty much everyone gets some time off for Thanksgiving. Also the Christmas decor at Thanksgiving is a big draw for many folks. You do have F&W and the halloween parties in October, and it is still very warm in Orlando at that time of year.

I'll hazard a guess that Thanksgiving would be much busier. My thinking is that in some parts of the country Columbus day is barely even a thing(i.e. the schools don't close in places I've lived) and pretty much everyone gets some time off for Thanksgiving. Also the Christmas decor at Thanksgiving is a big draw for many folks. You do have F&W and the halloween parties in October, and it is still very warm in Orlando at that time of year.

Columbus Day is usually during fall break for many school districts. The pictures from last year were enough to keep me from ever going during that time. Still hot, too.

I found this past weekend to be busier than Thanksgiving. However, we can’t really guess anymore with Star Wars coming this fall.

We did both Thanksgiving and Columbus Day trips this past year. Thanksgiving was by far more crowded. It started getting ' bad' about the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and continued to get worse. We left the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We also arrived the Saturday the 9 th ( before Columbus Day). It began getting crowded on Thursday before the Monday holiday. We left on Columbus Day and did not do parks on the actual holiday. Have a great trip no matter what month you choose!

We arrive the Saturday after thanksgiving every year, and while Saturday is pretty busy Sunday is less so, and crowds usually decrease daily after that (at least for the two weeks we’re there)

Columbus day weekend this past year didn't feel too crowded. The MNSHHP was pretty packed, but otherwise I can't say it felt like it was crazy busy. At least not any more so than it's been lately.

With Galaxy's Edge opening this year all bets are off! It's going to be crazy no matter what I imagine!

I would keep Thanksgiving. We have been 3 times that week. Yes it is crowded but manageable.

Ive been Columbus Day weekend twice and Thanksgiving week once. I would say Columbus Day week is more crowded. Not only from the holiday, but it seems all of Europe is also on vacation at that time. I went the Tueday before Thanksgiving until the Tuesday after in 2011 (its been a while). Friday thru mid day Sunday were very crowded. Tuesday before until Friday was practically empty and same for Sunday night until we left on Tuesday.

As others have said it'll be really busy no matter when you go with the opening of SWGE but we were there over Columbus Day weekend last year (Friday before- Saturday after) and while it was busy, I wouldn't say it was super crowded. It was stupid hot and humid though and MK closed early most nights for MNSSHP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter