Which is larger, SSR or OKW?

BlueLagoon

Earning My Ears
Hi, I have a dream to someday own at DVC but I'm not sure it's for us. We rarely schedule our vacation more than 3 or 4 months out so where I buy won't really matter. So if we only book at, say, 3 months out...I get the feeling my choices are going to most likely be limited to SSR and OKW (depending on travel time). Can you tell me...

1) Which is larger, as in covers more land?

2) Which one is more spread out and would require more walking if we were somehow assigned a room far away from the food/pool area?

3) Also, which has more rooms available? We'd be interested in either studios or 1 bedrooms. Is there somewhere I can see actual number of rooms for each resort?

Thank you,
BlueLagoon
:upsidedow

Courtesy of WebmasterDoc:

OKW - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 274 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 230 Lockoffs - 27 Grand Villas = 531 Units / 761 Max. Available Rooms

VB - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 18 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 36 Lockoffs - 6 Grand Villas - 112 Inn Rooms = 172 Units / 208 Max. Available Rooms

HHI - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 76 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 21 Lockoffs - 5 Grand Villas = 102 Units / 123 Max. Available Rooms

BWV - 97 Dedicated Studios - 130 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 0 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 149 Lockoffs - 7 Grand Villas = 383 Units / 532 Max. Available Rooms

VWL - 20 Dedicated Studios - 27 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 44 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 45 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 136 Units / 181 Max. Available Rooms

BCV - 36 Dedicated Studios - 20 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 78 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 74 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 208 Units / 282 Max. Available Rooms

SSR - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 360 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 432 Lockoffs - 60 THV - 36 Grand Villas = 888 Units / 1320 Max. Available Rooms

AKV - 46 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 140 Dedicated 2BR villas - 250 Lockoffs - 22 Grand Villas = 134 villas within Jambo House (AKL) , 324 villas in Kidani Village for a total of 458 Units / 708 Max. Available Rooms.

BLT - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 148 Dedicated 2BR villas - 133 Lockoffs - 14 Grand Villas = 295 Units / 428 Max. Available Rooms

VGC - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR villas - 23 Dedicated 2BR villas - 23 Lockoffs - 2 Grand Villas = 48 Units / 71 Max. Available Rooms

OKW is a the largest vacation club "room" square foot wise. Saratoga springs is much smaller. I got this from the maintenance man at SSR.

Also courtesy of WebmasterDoc:

OKW
Studio: 390 sq. ft.
1 BR: 1005 sq. ft.
2 BR: 1410 sq. ft.
GV: 2375 sq. ft.

VB
Studio: 375 sq.ft.
1BR: 880 sq.ft.
2BR: 1265 sq.ft.
GV: 2125 sq.ft.

HH
Studio: 455 sq.ft.
1BR: 856 sq.ft.
2BR: 1311 sq.ft.
GV: 2362 sq.ft.

BWV
Studio: 359 sq. ft.
1 BR: 712 sq. ft.
2 BR: 1071 sq. ft.
GV: 2142 sq. ft.

VWL
Studio: 356 sq.ft.
1BR: 727 sq.ft.
2BR: 1083 sq.ft.
GV: None

BCV
Studio: 356 sq.ft.
1BR: 719 sq.ft.
2BR: 1075 sq.ft.
GV: None

SSR
Studio: 355 sq.ft.
1BR: 714 sq.ft.
2BR: 1070 sq.ft.
GV: 2113 sq.ft.

AKV:
Studio: 316- 355 sq.ft.
1BR: 629-720 sq.ft.
2BR: 945 - 1075 sq.ft.
GV: 2201 sq.ft.

BLT:
Studio: 339 sq.ft.
1BR: 803 sq.ft.
2BR: 1152 sq.ft.
GV: 2044 sq.ft.

GCV:
Studio: 379 sq. ft.
1BR: 865 sq. ft.
2BR: 1257 sq. ft.
GV: 2426 sq .ft.

If "having to walk" is potentially a big negative, neither OKW nor SSR is likely to be a huge favorite for you. What's more, the OKW buildings that are close to central services (the Hospitality House) are a booking category, and are likely to be unavailable for a late reservation.

This is a tough one. You could have a fairly long walk at both resorts. At OKW you could be in the back of the resort, near the Turtle Shack area or Biuldings in the 50's that are a long walk. Or you could be at the entrance of SSR which is a fairly long walk. In both cases you would be able to take a bus a get off at a closer bus stop or even right at the main pool areas where the restaurants are.

Both resorts are great. We like SSR and OKW. One thing you will need to enertain for both, if your not a big fan of buses, is getting a car. We have always found it easier to get a car at these resorts.

Courtesy of WebmasterDoc:

OKW - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 274 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 230 Lockoffs - 27 Grand Villas = 531 Units / 761 Max. Available Rooms

SSR - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 360 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 432 Lockoffs - 60 THV - 36 Grand Villas = 888 Units / 1320 Max. Available Rooms

Thank you for listing this. Can you help me understand how to read it? I have read a few posts about dedicated vs. lock-off but I'm not really clear. Does it only have to do with which ones have a door to the hallway/walkway or does it have to do with a locking door in between rooms?

Thanks,
BlueLagoon

Thank you for listing this. Can you help me understand how to read it? I have read a few posts about dedicated vs. lock-off but I'm not really clear. Does it only have to do with which ones have a door to the hallway/walkway or does it have to do with a locking door in between rooms?

Thanks,
BlueLagoon
Dedicated 2 bedroom villas have only one door that goes directly from the outside to get into the villa. The door will be in a hallway area that is near the kitchen/living room (main living area).
There is a locking door between the main living area and the second bedroom, but it is just a regular door like you might have between bedrooms in your own house.

The Lock offs have 2 entries from outside.
One is in the hallway in the same place as in the dedicated 2 bedroom villa. The other door to outside is in the second bedroom. There is a locking door between the second bedroom (the Studio part) and the one bedroom part of the villa. That door is actually 2 doors; one has a handle and lock on the inside of the studio that needs to be opened to allow access to the one bedroom part. The other door has a handle and lock on the inside of the one bedroom part. Both doors need to be open at the same time to allow people to move between the rooms.

Since neither SSR nor OKW has any dedicated studios or dedicated 1 bedrooms, you need to look at the number of lock off 2 bedrooms to get an idea of the number of studios and 1 bedrooms that could be available.

For example, OKW has 230 lock off 2 bedroom villas. If all of them were "broken up" and rented separately as a studio & 1 bedroom, the maximum number of studios would be 230 and the maximum number of 1 bedrooms would also be 230.

So depending on demand for 2 bedrooms, there could be many less studios & 1 bedrooms available. Of course, the same thing can be said for SSR and any other resort that has lock off 2 bedrooms.

And in the counts above (nnn units / nnn max available), the number of units is if all 2br lock-off are counted as a 2br unit, and the number of max available is if all 2br lock-offs are counted as a separate 1br and studio.

plus.as far as distances, I know OKW has multiple bus stops near each section, so the walk to a bus stop is never far,does SSR have more than one stop? that makes a difference

Hi, I have a dream to someday own at DVC but I'm not sure it's for us. We rarely schedule our vacation more than 3 or 4 months out so where I buy won't really matter. So if we only book at, say, 3 months out...I get the feeling my choices are going to most likely be limited to SSR and OKW (depending on travel time). Can you tell me...

1) Which is larger, as in covers more land?

2) Which one is more spread out and would require more walking if we were somehow assigned a room far away from the food/pool area?

3) Also, which has more rooms available? We'd be interested in either studios or 1 bedrooms. Is there somewhere I can see actual number of rooms for each resort?

Thank you,
BlueLagoon

SSR is much bigger

plus.as far as distances, I know OKW has multiple bus stops near each section, so the walk to a bus stop is never far,does SSR have more than one stop? that makes a difference

OKW has 5 bus stops:
Peninsular Rd
South Point
Turtle Pond
Miller's Rd
Hospitality House

SSR has 5 bus stops:
Grandstand
Carousel
Paddocks
Congress Park
The Springs

Although, right now, the Paddocks bus stop is closed while they are building the new Paddock pool. Don't know if the closure is temporary or not.

SSR is much bigger

I think I read somewhere that SSR is about 4 times the size. I've ridden around both resorts on the bus, and it doesn't surprise me. SSR made OKW seem small to me.

The good thing about both resorts is that the last bus stop before leaving the resort is at Hospitality House (OKW) or The Springs (SSR) where the main pools, gift shops and restaurants are located. So even if your room is located in the far hinterlands, you could hop on any park bus at the bus stop closest to your room and get off at HH or The Springs.

Both resorts have smaller pools scattered throughout the resorts, and I know that OKW has a seasonal snack area near at least one of the quiet pools (Turtle Pond). There is also a laundry room located near the quiet pools.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is another large resort that is frequently available when the smaller resorts are sold out. It's not a sprawling resort like OKW or SSR, but it does have loooong hallways in the Kidani building.

Saratoga is much larger than Old Key West. It has a few pools and many wings and has a few bus stops inside as it's so big.

In response to your 1st statement, if you are booking 3-4 months out, DVC might not be the best choice for you! Popular weeks book up way before that, and particular resorts/rooms can book up even before 7 months.

If it's important for me to get a room during a particular week, I always try to book at the 7 month or 11 month window, and I don't always get what I want. (I've still never managed to get a grand villa.)

OKW and Saratoga are usually the ones still available, but you don't have to own there to get those rooms. If you are trying to book 3-4 months out, you will need to be more flexible.

I own at OKW, and have stayed at saratoga when it was the only place available. I like both, Saratoga is newer, OKW rooms are larger. We always have a car, so don't mind the resorts' size. Sometimes I wish I had Saratoga just so I could stay in THV, but we've always been happy wherever we stayed...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter