Which is better I-75 through Atlanta or by-pass?

disneyfreak89

DIS Veteran
For many years my DH always did the driving from Detroit to Disney on I-75 and always drove through Atlanta. He's an excellent driver and he was still nervous driving through there. Its a very tense 25 mins! Now I'm the one that has to do the driving. Twice we've turned off at Knoxville and made our way south via 40/26/95 but I didn't like that route very much (winding roads, shady areas, 95 is crazier than 75!)

All that being said, we're debating whether to stay on I-75 and possibly taking the Atlanta by-pass next time. We've heard all sorts of things from it being better than driving through Atlanta to its worse and to avoid it.

What route do you take and why? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Just a side note: we don't drive at night, we usually stop around 3 or 4pm each day as the travel days are a bit much for both of us.

I drive from Windsor. Did the bypass once...but now always go straight through: there are HOV lanes that are great. It gets a bit confusing at one point as it veers away from the main highway for a couple minutes.

Staying on the bypass can be confusing, and it can be just as busy or worse than straight through.

Even with me navigating and DH driving, I've nearly missed exits when using the bypass.

A hint: Just in case, make a restroom stop before getting into the city. I can attest to the increased comfort of that precaution...painfully.

I drive from Windsor. Did the bypass once...but now always go straight through: there are HOV lanes that are great. It gets a bit confusing at one point as it veers away from the main highway for a couple minutes.
Was there a specific reason why you took the bypass once and why you haven't done it since? We remember the HOV lanes, they go way too fast for our comfort. :guilty:

Staying on the bypass can be confusing, and it can be just as busy or worse than straight through.

Even with me navigating and DH driving, I've nearly missed exits when using the bypass.

A hint: Just in case, make a restroom stop before getting into the city. I can attest to the increased comfort of that precaution...painfully.
Thanks for the reminder. 😉

Was there a specific reason why you took the bypass once and why you haven't done it since? We remember the HOV lanes, they go way too fast for our comfort. :guilty:
First time I ever drove I did the bypass...seemed to be a lot of traffic. Next I went straight through and prefered it, especially with the HOV lanes. But I enjoy driving through and seeing 7 lanes each way!

First time I ever drove I did the bypass...seemed to be a lot of traffic. Next I went straight through and prefered it, especially with the HOV lanes. But I enjoy driving through and seeing 7 lanes

First time I ever drove I did the bypass...seemed to be a lot of traffic. Next I went straight through and prefered it, especially with the HOV lanes. But I enjoy driving through and seeing 7 lanes each way!
Ok thanks. Yes we've read the bypass is really no better, more trucks, more traffic, more accidents?
If you enjoy 7 lanes each way, Toronto must be a breeze for you! lol

Atlanta native here!

I suggest going straight through 1-75 instead of 285. I took 285 (the Perimeter by-pass) everyday for years 🙃

But I encourage you to plan ahead! 75 (and especially the 85 connector) sees heavy traffic from 7-9 AM and 4-7PM. If you can plan your trip to be driving through between 10 and 3 it will be much smoother for you. Though it is Atlanta and there could be traffic at 2AM for no reason.

Happy to suggest places and exits to stop along the way if needed.

Atlanta native here!

I suggest going straight through 1-75 instead of 285. I took 285 (the Perimeter by-pass) everyday for years 🙃

But I encourage you to plan ahead! 75 (and especially the 85 connector) sees heavy traffic from 7-9 AM and 4-7PM. If you can plan your trip to be driving through between 10 and 3 it will be much smoother for you. Though it is Atlanta and there could be traffic at 2AM for no reason.

Jumping on this, I have booked the Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center on Galleria Parkway for our overnight and we should arrive around 6 or 7 pm. I am going to have some stuff in my van which I plan to bring inside I guess but do you have a better suggestion for hotel? Should we stay on the north side of Atlanta and attempt Atlanta at around 6:00am? Do you think it's safe to leave stuff out overnight? I think it said it has valet but I don't necessarily want to chance anything. An inside parking would be appreciated more.

Jumping on this, I have booked the Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center on Galleria Parkway for our overnight and we should arrive around 6 or 7 pm. I am going to have some stuff in my van which I plan to bring inside I guess but do you have a better suggestion for hotel? Should we stay on the north side of Atlanta and attempt Atlanta at around 6:00am? Do you think it's safe to leave stuff out overnight? I think it said it has valet but I don't necessarily want to chance anything. An inside parking would be appreciated more.
Yes, the Waverly is great - right near Truist Park (the Braves Stadium) and the Battery! In fact I think you can walk there on the overpass bridge - there's dining and all kinds of cool, fun stuff there.
I wouldn't leave anything in your car, unless the valet is in an underground garage. I'm not totally sure what the valet situation is.

And yes, heading south around 6AM is a safe bet! Your navigation might take you 285 south, which is ok around that time. You might hit some traffic at the I-20 interchange, but at 6:00 it should be pretty clear!

Prior to your trip, you might want to monitor Google Maps or Waze at different times of the day and night to get a feel for traffic patterns at those times. This past summer we went around Atlanta on 285 on a Saturday afternoon without too much trouble.

Atlanta native here!

Thanks! I appreciate the 'inside' scoop!
Prior to your trip, you might want to monitor Google Maps or Waze at different times of the day and night to get a feel for traffic patterns at those times. This past summer we went around Atlanta on 285 on a Saturday afternoon without too much trouble.
Ok thanks!

I Always run I75 through Atlanta. The bypass is for all the trucks running south of Atlanta. We bought The Along I75 book. It shows you maps from Detroit all the way to the Georgia/ Florida state line. Let's you know what is at every exit and If to take the bypasses around major city's or to stay on I75

I Always run I75 through Atlanta. The bypass is for all the trucks running south of Atlanta. We bought The Along I75 book. It shows you maps from Detroit all the way to the Georgia/ Florida state line. Let's you know what is at every exit and If to take the bypasses around major city's or to stay on I75
Thanks for the info! We do have the I75 book. Couldn't drive without it! 👍🏻

Last edited:
Atlanta native here!

I do have a couple of questions for you. In the past DH would stay in the middle lanes driving through Atlanta, is that still the best/easiest way?

Also, is Marietta a safe area to stop over night? Or can you suggest another area before heading through Atlanta.

I do have a couple of questions for you. In the past DH would stay in the middle lanes driving through Atlanta, is that still the best/easiest way?

Also, is Marietta a safe area to stop over night? Or can you suggest another area before heading through Atlanta.
We stayed in Marietta this summer right near Truist Park on the way home for a Braves game. Was only for a couple nights but was a quiet area with plenty of restaurants and a Target. If we went that way again we'd definitely stay in the area again.

We've found we like to overnight in McDonough, about a half hour south of Atlanta.

Pretty good hotel rates and several conveniently close to 75. Lots of restaurants and shopping, too.

That leaves about 6 hours on in to WDW, give or take potty stops.

We stayed in Marietta this summer right near Truist Park on the way home for a Braves game. Was only for a couple nights but was a quiet area with plenty of restaurants and a Target. If we went that way again we'd definitely stay in the area again.

We've found we like to overnight in McDonough, about a half hour south of Atlanta.

Pretty good hotel rates and several conveniently close to 75. Lots of restaurants and shopping, too.

Thanks for your tips!

Good to hear!! If we end up taking 75 down that’s area I had picked for a possible stop!

Yes! The middle lanes avoid people entering/exiting toll lanes, and exits.

Marietta is great. As others suggested, McDonough is through the city and Marietta is North.
There are several hotels right off the exit in Kennesaw (Exit 269, Barrett Parkway) as well, since there is a university there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter