which hotel

Ctsplaysinrain

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of making some reservations for late july. I will be traveling with my 2 sons- ages 11 and 12. The 12 yr old has Autism. Which hotel would you pick of the Universal hotels. We have stayed at a few Disney ones and have never been totally impressed.. I'm hoping that these are a little more upscale or are the pictures deceiving??? Is Club level woth it?

club is worth it depending on what's being presented in the club lounge for food.

the breakfast set up is great.

it depends on which hotel for the sweet hour, dinner hour to say which is best.

you should be happy at any of the hotels on site.

use the star service system in all 3 hotels if you need anything.
it's a button on your phone in the room.

if you take a look at the pictures on the trip forum for UO, you are not being deceived. what you see is what they really do look like.

you can get the dimensions and layout of each type of room on the loews site or universal site under hotels.

Just found your post, hope this reply isn't too late to offer my advice. We stayed 4 nights at PBR in 2006 and just last month we spent 4 nights at the RPR. We all agreed we liked the PBR so much better.
Both trips we arrived at hotel at about the same time, at PBR we got right into our room, at RPR we had to wait 4 hours until our room was ready. Yes they held our luggage and we went to the parks, but it would have been nice to get into the room and situated first.
We were very surprised on our second day at RPR we spent all day at the parks and returned to room around 4pm to cool off and relax a little. House keeping hadn't been to our room yet so beds unmade. Felt like we didn't want to hang in room and have to be interrupted by housekeeping when they did make it there. I called desk and was told that housekeeping works until 5pm, so could be as late as that. I was told if I wanted morning service, I would have to call every morning and request it. I did do that and it worked, room was always ready when we returned early, but was just one more thing I had to do. When we stayed at PBR I am not sure what time housekeeping works, but room was always done when we had returned.
It also seemed as though the ferry to the parks was a little more consistant and frequent at PBR than at RPR.
While we enjoyed our stay at both, and I know you will enjoy your stay no matter what one you pick, we will not stay at RPR again...I guess we were spoiled by PBR.

There is another family that posts here a lot that has a son with autism. They stay at the Portofino Bay Hotel very frequently as it seems to fit their needs. Wherever you decide to go, contact the hotel in advance and inform them as to your needs. I am sure they will take care of you.

Hi Damo! That's me!

We have a soon to be 10 year old son with autism- he is on the severe end of the spectrum. We tried Disney and have stayed at every resort there. We finally had to give it up because of our son's issues. We decided to give Universal a try- mainly because of the great help here from Damo, Goofy!, Bubbasmom and Macraven(to name a few!!) It was the best thing we could have done! We have fallen in love with Portofino Bay! Everyone there has been so kind and understanding to our son. They go out of their way to assist him. We are returning in Sept for another trip. Our son has taken to this resort like no other place he has been. He relaxes and really enjoys his time here.

We usually add club on and it is worth it for us. The lounge is huge and has a great view of the harbor. The food and drinks are plentiful and the staff is amazing.

Any other questions - I will be glad to try and help!

PORTOFINO BAY!!!!

We have stayed at the PBH numerous times, but we have also stayed at RPH. I have to tell you the truth, the only reason we stayed at RPH is because we booked for New Years one year at the last minute and the PBH was completely booked!! ( I couldn't even get a room with my Loews First!!) The RPH was GREAT!! Loved it. But when we took the boat to the PBH to eat, I felt like I was just at home and wanted so bad to stay there. Sigh. But...like I said, RPH was awesome. I'm just a little spoiled with my PBH. It just feels like home to me. One thing that I didn't like at the RPH was no balcony. Other than that, it was awesome.

One of the big differences in club at Universal vs. WDW is the $ involved. Club status can usually be added at a reasonable increase in $ (these days it seems to be 60-75) whereas at WDW you first need to be in a deluxe (big $ to begin) and then can expect to pay upwards of $200/night extra for concierge.

We stayed Club at HRH in May our kids are 7 and 10 and we all loved it. The kids loved the atmosphere and the relaxed attitude of the pool staff, they had a ball with the lifeguards. The Kitchen was great with good kids meals and overall it was one of the best places we stayed during our trip to the US in May. Absolutely loved HRH. hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter