• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which hotel/motel would you pick & why?

Which hotel/motel would you pick & why?

• Howard Johnson's

• Candy Cane Inn

• Tropicana

• Park Vue

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks for the info! I do like the idea of inside corridors; however, I also like the idea of free breakfast and shuttle at the same price. I think the overwhelming HoJo majority is assuming I do end up getting cheaper ent rate price. Right now, Hojo and CCI are approx same price. I guess I need to ck cancel policies of these 2 hotels. If I book one of them now, and cheap ent rate does become available, will I be able to say cancel cci and book hojo? If not, and I do hojo now, do I cancel and re-book hojo at cheaper price or is there a way to add code to already booked ressie so I have written confirmation of price change?

My reasons will be different from yours, and I don't know what my opinion is worth as I've never stayed at any of those yet. But I chose Park Vue Inn when making ressies for my "mini-honeymoon" (pokes siggy) immediately after my wedding. I chose it for two reasons. One, they are immediately across the street from Disney's shuttle lot. My last trip, I specifically looked to see where the closest hotel is for the next trip. I guess Tropicana fits that bill, too. My fiance was happy with the IHOP, because he's not a big fan of most continental breakfasts (I am) but I've heard that this is actually a decent one, so we may not need IHOP as it is. Parking is free, and although I've used and like the ART system for hotels out of easy walking distance, I am always so jealous of those who just walk across the street and are in their room before my shuttle even arrives. The second reason is that they have in-room jacuzzis for a price of $160 or so, which is the one little luxury we're allowing ourselves on this trip.

FYI, my second choice was HoJo, because of the neverending positive reviews about that place.

Thanks for the info! I do like the idea of inside corridors; however, I also like the idea of free breakfast and shuttle at the same price. I think the overwhelming HoJo majority is assuming I do end up getting cheaper ent rate price. Right now, Hojo and CCI are approx same price. I guess I need to ck cancel policies of these 2 hotels. If I book one of them now, and cheap ent rate does become available, will I be able to say cancel cci and book hojo? If not, and I do hojo now, do I cancel and re-book hojo at cheaper price or is there a way to add code to already booked ressie so I have written confirmation of price change?

I'd make ressies at both, and hold out for that ent. rate, which they will gladly change for you if one becomes available.

FYI, the Trop, the HoJo and CCI all have free parking. :) Just thought I'd mention that for you. And, when we go the day we leave we go to the parks for about half a day, all 3 of those hotels will let you leave your car in their lot at no charge. :) The CCI even said to use their shuttle on our last day. :) We did take it back to the hotel but that morning we walked in. The CCI's breakfast was MUCH better than the Tropicana, more selection and just all around better food.

By the bye, if you don't want to pay inflated prices at the hotel gift shop for breakfast items, you can have Albertson's or Von's deliver groceries right to your hotel. You can order online. They will deliver within an hour and 15 minute window of time, and if you're not there yet, the bell desk will hold it for you. We did this and it worked great-- especially because we needed a rack of bottled water. The tap water is awful. We got milk, juice, pop tarts, fruit, yogurt and cereal "cups to go." It was perfect because most of it was portable-- so we grabbed breakfast and ate it standing in line at the turnstiles. Plus, we had snacks when we went back for our mid-day break.

Somebody on here even found a discount code to get the 9.95 delivery fee waived, awhile back.

Just another idea... :goodvibes

I vote hands down for the Candy Cane Inn. Yes, there is a shuttle but, at least for our family, it's walking distance from Disneyland and you can sometimes walk faster than the shuttle takes to get there.
The breakfast is just o.k. (muffins, bagels, cereal, coffee, juice, fruit) but it's adequate for vacation. The pool is really really tiny but the grounds are nice and you can eat around the pool if you like.
The rooms are nice and generally it's a very quiet hotel (even when I was there during the cheerleading competitions). The staff is very nice and professional.
Keep checking your dates, you never know when they will open up.

We haven't been to DLR yet, so of course haven't stayed at any of the hotels. I didn't vote in your poll since I have no personal experience, but figured I'd give my 2 cents anyway.:goodvibes

IF you can get the ent rate, if I were you I'd for sure go with HoJo. However, if they ent rate isn't available, I'd go with something closer. We were originally booked at HOJO, but ended up switching to Tropicana since we can't get the ent rate. For me, being a bit closer is worth it even if the HOJO is maybe a bit superior. We're not picky though about where we stay, as long as it's clean.

Also--I thought for HOJO only the "preferred" Disney rooms have a microwave; the standard rooms are without--and some have double beds rather than a queen. For us a guaranteed queen bed is a must since our 4 year will be sleeping with us. So that was another reason we stitched to Trop--guaranteed queen beds and microwave in room with a standard room (also has fridge, FYI).

I picked the Tropicana but have to say the Hojo is very nice. I just loved the location of the Tropicana, something about that extra 5 minutes up Harbor (I know I am a baby) has kept me from going back. The Hojo's grounds and pools cannot be beat by anything at DL other than the onsite hotels. It was also nice at the Tropicana to have the free breakfast and our room was spotless, spacious and we enjoyed that pool area very much. Its not as nice as the Hojo's (esp. given the upcoming refurb) but its nicer than some of the other pools on Harbor.

I really want to try the CCI sometime, it gets such good reviews and it looks like its free breakfast is way better than the Tropicana's and it looks very charming. But its always sold out when I check!

I voted for HOJO because you can't beat $59!!! The staff there has been so helpful on the phone!! I've changed my reservation twice already.

Honestly those free breakfasts aren't that great, or much. It was something quick for us to grab, but if you want a real breakfast, you won't find it at those free ones! Without a car your choices will be limited to whats on harbor, the park, and DTD no matter where you stay.

Not saying it isn't nice having the free breakfast items, it is. But it's not something I hold a lot of weight on when choosing a place to stay. We're renting a car because I like shoot down to Subway on the other side of Harbor if I want, or Jack in the box ect... And we definitely plan on hitting up a grocery store somewhere to keep some small items in our room. But we are also good with grabbing McDonalds a few times for breakfast while were there too (and will do that even if were staying at a place with free cont. breakfast).

Without the entertainment rate, I might be tempted to just stay at the Tropicana. The location is really nice, especially after a few days of all that walking around the parks.. I didn't mind the halls being outdoors, and never felt unsafe there.

Oh gosh, you all make such good points about each place. I still can't decide!:confused3 haha I'm wondering do rates change over time? I mean, is there a rush to book now because as summer comes up on us, one or more of these hotels will have higher rates or be sold out if I wait?

Oh, and does anyone know if any of these hotels will print off boarding passes for you free of charge? We have SWA tickets and can print off our passes 24 hour hours prior to return flight and want to make sure we actually get an A pass so hopefully won't have to be separated from children on plane. We don't have a laptop and won't have any other way to access a computer on Monday unless one of these hotels lets us use theirs. The Poly did that for us back in 05, but of course, that was a Disney property.

Oh gosh, you all make such good points about each place. I still can't decide!:confused3 haha I'm wondering do rates change over time? I mean, is there a rush to book now because as summer comes up on us, one or more of these hotels will have higher rates or be sold out if I wait?

Oh, and does anyone know if any of these hotels will print off boarding passes for you free of charge? We have SWA tickets and can print off our passes 24 hour hours prior to return flight and want to make sure we actually get an A pass so hopefully won't have to be separated from children on plane. We don't have a laptop and won't have any other way to access a computer on Monday unless one of these hotels lets us use theirs. The Poly did that for us back in 05, but of course, that was a Disney property.

I don't know about the others, but HoJo has two computers in their lobby that are free for their guests to use to check-in for airlines or check email, etc. I'm not sure if they front desk people would check-in for you while you are in the parks, but you could always ask.

I don't know about the others, but HoJo has two computers in their lobby that are free for their guests to use to check-in for airlines or check email, etc. I'm not sure if they front desk people would check-in for you while you are in the parks, but you could always ask.

Hey, if I have access to a computer that is great! I can do it myself. Our flight leaves at 4pm on tues so I'd need on at 4pm on monday...can you say good time to go back for relaxation before dinner and evening re-entry to parks?

Just a comment about the Park Vue - it's gross! We stayed there in August. It wasn't the cleanest place, to say the least. The housekeeping service was very uneven. We had 5 in our room and sometimes they only left 2 towels. They never replaced used mugs or glasses and never cleaned the coffee maker after we used it. Then there was the giant cockroach! We tried to trap it under the ice bucket in the bathroom but it escaped. My DH finally whacked it with his shoe at 1:30 a.m. Two days later, the ice bucket was still overturned on the floor. No one bothered to remove it or give us a new one.

The location is the best of any of the hotels on Harbor. It's the closest to the crosswalk that leads to DL's main entrance. The place always seems to be busy. And I think they've let their service slip because people will stay there anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Ugh, that is gross! My daughter will flip if she sees a bug!

I do have a few more questions about the ent rate if anyone knows. The message board says $59/74. What is the difference in price about? Room category? Weekend vs weeknight? Can you get this price for a disney or pool view room? Will you get queen room beds? Thanks!

Ugh, that is gross! My daughter will flip if she sees a bug!

I do have a few more questions about the ent rate if anyone knows. The message board says $59/74. What is the difference in price about? Room category? Weekend vs weeknight? Can you get this price for a disney or pool view room? Will you get queen room beds? Thanks!

The $74 rate is for a premium Disney view room. These rooms are all located in Bldg. 1, have two new pillowtop queens, a micro and fridge, room safe and a Disney view from the balcony. Most of them have a vanity w/sink outside the main bathroom as well (which is a big plus for families getting ready in the mornings).

The $59 is for either a standard room (which is a double/double room in the pavillion bldgs 3-6) These are the two-story bldgs in the center of the property; or for a deluxe room (which is a queen/queen room in bldg. 2). Most of the deluxe rooms in bldg. 2 have the new pillowtop beds, they all have fridges, some have balconies and many overlook the small pool in the back of the property.

Have you checked out the room layout pdf from their website? It will help you get a lay of the land, if you will:

hojoanaheim.com/pdf/room_layouts.pdf

HTH.

As other posters said, I picked the HoJo because of the Entertainment rate. In fact, it was that along with the discount I get through my work on Disneyland tickets that convinced me to go to Disneyland this year (though I've been planning ghost trips since 2007 ;) ).

Before I even knew about the rate though, the HoJo just seemed like a nice place. The rooms are nice, the pool(s) will be nice (we're going in September). The only thing that is bad is the walk, but since we stayed at the Alpine Inn last time with no problems (I was eying the Harbor Blvd hotels enviously), I don't think this will be a problem. Plus, due to my mom's disability issues, my dad is convinced that he was drop us off at the gate, drive back to the hotel and then walk back to Disneyland. Whew!

Thanks for the add'l info guys! I think we'll end up booking Hojo. I talked w/dh about it and he likes the idea of indoor corridors for safety. Also, crossing our fingers the pool will be done by Aug 10! My ds6 is anxious to play in a pirate ship pool or whatever that thing is going to be!

Couple more questions...how often does Hojo update their ent code dates? Should I check daily? Or do they just do it like once a month or every 3 months or what? I see it was last updated 5/16 here recently.

Also, since we will be there sun-tues, we aren't sure if we should get 2 or 3 day passes. Our flight leaves at 4pm on tues. Do you have to buy a 3 day pass to get magic morning on tues? We won't get off the cruise and over to disneyland early enough on sunday to use magic morning. Thanks!

Holy cow! I just went to book Hojo & the disney view rooms are gone! Pool view only right now. What do I do? Do the disney view rooms come in and out of availability or am I stuck. This isn't until Aug 10 & 11. Arghhh.:scared:

I'm all for HoJo's because the rooms are great! They are large and the beds are so comfortable that I slept like a rock. I normally don't sleep very well during vacations because the beds will be lumpy or too soft. The beds at HoJos are firm but not like rocks. The room was spacious and we had a nice view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter