Which hotel is most convenient to parks?

las3888

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We stayed at RPR about 2 years ago. DH found it remote and out of the way. We are considering another stay at US on site but wondered if either of the other hotels are a little more convenient to the parks? We like to go in the AM, then return to swim, going back to parks in the PM. We did both walking from RPR to the parks and the boat. We thought the walk quite long with kids in tow, and difficult on a hot day (we will be there in June). The boats were not as frequent as we would like either. Any advice?

HRH is right next to Universal and thats the closest. PBH is farther than RPR. The walk from HRH to IOA is like walking from RPR to IOA. The only real benefit of HRH is being closer to US and Citywalk IMO.:thumbsup2

Even with the kids (6yo and 9yo), it took us about 7 minutes to walk from our room at HRH to the gate at US. About 12 minutes to IOA. I figured that RP was closer to IOA, but I guess not? The boats are not any faster unless you can happen to step on it right as it's leaving. Plus they drop you off at Citywalk, so there's still a bit of a walk to get to either park. There are always pedicabs on the paths between HRH and US. While we never found it necessary to take those, we did one morning on the way to HP, so save a few minutes.

I would say the HRH is the closest to the parks. It is easier to get a boat back to the HRH because less numbers of people use that mode of transportation.

To be honest, a resort means a resort unto itself. I love the isolation of RPR and PBH, but I have not been to HRH. The walk in the morning from RPR to IOA for the 8am opening extra hour is amazing in the Florida humidity. :lmao: As a Brit I am not used to that kind of heat. At 7.30am leaving RPR the hotel is still generally empty and dead quiet, you can feel/smell the 'cold' dew on the trees and grass, occasionally a little mist over the waterways. Yet the sun is so hot and by the time I have arrived at IOA to queue up for entrance, I already have sweat dripping down my back, despite being an extremely fit guy.

But isn't that what makes Universal Orlando such a great experience? ;)

The buses don't start running until 10am I think. And you are right about the boats, there aren't enough of them. They need to double the frequency and be prepared to sail half empty boats. But I guess that's not economically feasible. They need to organize it so they have full boats at all times. It must cost more than we think to power those boats.

The walk from RPR to CityWalk is superb. I love it so much I am going to record a HD POV of the whole walk from start to finish.

Thanks to all who have replied! We are still on the fence about going. DH wants to take 2 nights away from WDW, while I am pushing to extend the trip, so the battle ensues. I think if we make it, we would try Portofino - mostly because they have a great A/P rate and it is worth it for one of us to buy an A/P. It also looks like a really nice place. It sounds like the rooms are a little larger too. Like I said, we did stay at RPR and I enjoyed it, but DH found it a little remote. The walk in June would be about unbearable - sounds like all the resorts will have a walk about the same distance. I guess if we make it there, we'll just have to take the boat and try to relax!

Thanks to all who have replied! We are still on the fence about going. DH wants to take 2 nights away from WDW, while I am pushing to extend the trip, so the battle ensues. I think if we make it, we would try Portofino - mostly because they have a great A/P rate and it is worth it for one of us to buy an A/P. It also looks like a really nice place. It sounds like the rooms are a little larger too. Like I said, we did stay at RPR and I enjoyed it, but DH found it a little remote. The walk in June would be about unbearable - sounds like all the resorts will have a walk about the same distance. I guess if we make it there, we'll just have to take the boat and try to relax!

PBH has the longest walk of all three, even if you take the shortcut by crossing the street and walking through HRH's parking lot.:thumbsup2 Not trying to make you not stay there, but something to consider.:thumbsup2

PBH is WAY more remote that the RPR. Just remember....when there is lightening the boats don't run so you would be forced to walk of use the bus.

PBH is absolutely beautiful. The staff was so incredibly nice. The valet man that took our car and the man at the front desk remembered us the next day. They even gave us a little information about some stars that were there. We didn't get to use the pool or anything but every part of the hotel I saw was amazing. Our room was absolutely breathtaking. I found the beds were a little stiff but some people like that (most people aren't bothered).

I haven't stayed at the other two but we are thinking about trying HRH next time we go. Like others have said it's the closest to the park.

We drove the whole time we were there and parked valet so I don't know about walking distance or even taking the boats.

As others pointed out, HRH is the closest, technically, but it is just as far to IOA as RPR is. We are spending the bulk of our stay at IOA, but if we were going to spend the bulk of our stay at USO, I would probably stay at HRH. Either way, to me, being able to walk to the parks is a perk in of itself!

If your DH found RPR remote, dread to think what he will think of PBH.
its a lovely resort, bit to quiet for us and DD ,not a lot happening there. RPR is our fav resort, we never take the boat , as we find it quicker walking, 7 mins to Citywalk at a leisurely pace, taking the boat is not really much benefit IMHO unless you are going to US, as you have a to walk back to get to IOA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter