Which Home Resort?

rwalker130

Earning My Ears
I know this is a loaded question, and one that could unleash a deluge of answers... but,

Which Resort should I choose as my Home Resort? Why?

I know DVC is only selling BCV right now, but I am looking into resale as well.

I just want to know why each of you likes your resorts, and please include tangible things, I know you all like the "feel" of the places, but I need some more concrete pluses to convince the "others" in this decision.

Thanks, :earsboy:

This is hard. We own at OKW. OKW & BWV were the only ones selling when we bought. OKW reminds us of Key West, the colors, landscape, etc.

We've stayed at VWL & BCV and loved what they had to offer.

Maybe you could visit each resort on your next visit and make a Pros/Cons list to help you decide. At OKW, we can park right outside our villa and the with the number of rooms, we can pretty much get at least a studio on short notice. (We got Christmas week about 4 weeks out).

We will continue to visit (stay) in the other resorts but will always call OKW, Home. Our license plate reads DVC OKW.

Sorry, if I didn't give you what you were hoping for. But remember, BUY WHERE YOU'D LIKE TO STAY. You can always vacation in the other resorts.

decide what you like?

the Atlantic Broadwalk - then BWV

the Atlantic Coast - then BCV

the mountain lodges - then VWL

Key West - then OKW

I want include the others - but I think you are talking about the DVC resorts at WDW.

I love OKW - it is very laid back and relaxing. OKW probably the one you can get the best bargain - less points to stay here and the annual fee is less per point here. you can generally park your car in front of where you stay. Pizza delivery.

BWV is just about the opposite - party time here. this does allow you a standard view - still a little more than OKW - but close. walk/boat to EPcot or Studios. Room service and valet parking

BCV - has some of the best features of both - it is close to the action - but far enough away that you can relax. Great views of Spaceship Earth from some of the villas. Walk/boat to Epcot or Studios. room service and valet parking

VWL - lovely resort - one of the prettiest DVC resort that there is - very lodge looking - the only MK resort that is a DVC resort too. You can see Electric Water Pagen nightly from VWL/WL beach. Has a very nice snack bar that it shares with WL. room service and valet parking.

you can only decide what you like.

here are some pictures

www.dvc-resorts.com
look under the photo albums

I know DVC is only selling BCV right now, but I am looking into resale as well.
As far as the DVC resorts at WDW, Disney is also selling BWV and VWL (I believe April might be the only use year left for VWL). If you want OKW, then you'll have to go the resale route.

Our home is BWV. We go there when we want lots of activity. We find it easier to get ressies for a standard view at BWV during busy times using the 11 month window for owners. When we want a more laid-back vacation, we choose OKW. It has not been a problem (so far) getting a ressie at the 7 month window for non-owners, even during busy times.

Make a list of everything that is important to YOU. Not me, or Richyams, but you:

Close to MK
Close to Epcot
Quiet
In the Middle of the Action
Great Theming (and define great for yourself)
Access to lots of restaurants
Pool Slide
Mini Water Park
Community Room
Lowest Dues
Park in front of Unit
Valet Parking
Biggest Units
Room Decor
Availability of Grand Villas
Low Point Structure
Dual Point Structure
Eleven month window to stay at XXX during tough to book time of year.
Great Views
etc. (this list is not inclusive)

Weight them. For instance, access to lots of restaurants may be very important to you and score a 10, but dues - hey - its only money, give it a one.

Now rate each resort, multiply it by the weight and see how you do.

If you value value, OKW will probably come out on top. Low dues, great deals resale, low point structure, huge rooms.

If you value a pool with a lot of features, BCV can't be beat.

If you value being right in the middle of stuff, you'll want the BWV (although the BCVs is a close runner up).

Still think Magic Kingdom when you think of Disney World, and love the theming of the Pacific Northwest, VWL is calling you.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies so far. Very helpful.

I think what I am really looking for is, "What features of each resort make them great?" and "Which features of the resorts makes it not so attractive?"

Thanks again,

:cool:

So too long to list all but I will take a stab at BCV:

BCV:

+'s

* Best pool at WDW bar none - Stormalong Bay
*Closest resort to Epcot - can walk there - if you love Epcot buy BCV
* Not too far from Disney Studios - could walk if desired
* Nautical Theme - this may be a "-" for some
* Lots of Dining Choices within walking distance - at the resort with Beach Club/Yacht Club, Swan/Dolphin, Epcot World Showcase
* Some very large balconies
* Views towards Epcot for Illuminations

-'s

* Smaller rooms than OKW
* Higher mtce fees than OKW - $3.97 versus $3.49/pt
* Parking further away but can valet for free - just pay tips
* Longish hallways for some people
* Small balconies in some units
* Some have complained about road noise from the service road
* Do not get as hearty a welcome home as at OKW
* Share buses with other Epcot resorts
* Kitchens are small

I think that is a good summary for BCV

Thanks
jaysue

For us. BCV for location and SAB (enough points for a week during choice season). We concur with Jaysue's analysis of BCV whole heartedly.

OKW is where we have the most points because it is the best value (largest units, lowest maintenance fees, low cost to purchase resale) and a very laid back easy going resort. It reminds us of the keys and the condos we like there so much. My wife's parents own one in Key Colony Beach so it is very much like home at OKW for us.

For us it is BCv as well:

BCV vs BWV

I like the BCV room layout better. Table seats 8 whereas BWV, WLV does not. Bathroom layout nice, Desk in bedroom in BCV.
Seemed slower and a little more quiet and relaxed than BC, YC and BWV, yet still close to activities.
Distance to the elevator is better.
Nice Quiet pool
Lots of nice internal spaces for when it's raining, drawing room, breezeway, solarium, BC lobby.
Sandcastle club availability
Outstanding location, boat to MGM, walk to Epcot, Baordwalk area activities closeby, swan and Dolphin restaraunts.
Love the Beach Theme
Great at access to Beach Club amenities, and restaraunts, Jellyrolls, stores, Beaches and Cream, Arcade, etc.
Prefer the sand beach along crescent lake instead of the boardswalk
Nice Beach Club Workout facility.
Nice access to the parking lot
Bus service fine.
Hotel services available like in-room dining, valet services, front staff.
Nice entrance to the resort walking in BC entrance with large fresh flower arrangements, sometimes music in lobby (saw harpist) front door greetings.
Marina activites, can take boats to see illuminations.
Nice access to parking lot for villas, closer than valet for many units. Just go in the back door or walk along the canal to the middle elevator
Second elevator available in the middle of the resort for pool, parking access.
BCVs has access to a marina along with the YC and BC. WLV and OKW also has a marina. BWV does not.
For us, the circus theme isn't as appealing as the beach theme, circuses don't have a good reputation for cleanliness or humane treatment towards animals, or the most friendly workers, but that's just us.

There are dissadvantages to BCV including:
No community Hall and Community Hall activities like BWV, Vero, others.
Uses all preferred view point structure, no advantage of standards view lower point structure like at BWV or lower points requirements like at OWK to stretch point value
Rooms smaller than OKW, lessstorage space - OKW, Vero and HH rooms are larger.
No three bedroom grand villas available (usually requires 11 month window at other resorts)
No outstanding crecent lake views like BWV
Villas in back are too close to roadway, some noise.

Good luck with your decision.

LOL, CaptainMidnight, I certainly hope you have this saved to your hard drive and just do a copy and paste, if not that would be a lot of typing over and over again.
I agree with a lot of your points, however many of the +'s posted for BCV are also things available at BWV and not exclusive to only BCV like:
Nice quiet pool, outstanding location, great access to restaurants, stores and Jellyrolls, nice workout facility, fine bus service, hotel services/amenities available, nice entrance, etc.

Originally posted by rwalker130
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies so far. Very helpful.

I think what I am really looking for is, "What features of each resort make them great?" and "Which features of the resorts makes it not so attractive?"

Thanks again,

:cool:
This is helpful to you I'm sure. Still, what you like will be different than everyone else. I'll offer a more analytical approach to contrast. Factors that will affect your choices include when you will travel, how much you might want to try other resorts. Will you visit HH or VB on points? Your family size including the size and possibility of extended family visits.

If you want to go to WDW but can't plan ahead more than 7 months, buy OKW. If you might need a 3 BR Grande Villa, buy OKW. If you will have 6 or more consistently for a 2 BR or 4 for a studio, OKW again. If your children are older, near Epcot might be great (BCV and BWV). If you will not have a car, I'd strongly recommend against OKW. BWV will be the second cheapest option due to less points for part of the rooms. If your children are younger, consider VWL due to it's proximity to MK. If you can plan more than 7 months out, buy where you want to stay, whereever that ends up being. Put some though into use year, it's more important overall than many seem to think.

Originally posted by DeeP
....I agree with a lot of your points, however many of the +'s posted for BCV are also things available at BWV and not exclusive to only BCV like:
Nice quiet pool, outstanding location, great access to restaurants, stores and Jellyrolls, nice workout facility, fine bus service, hotel services/amenities available, nice entrance, etc.
Agreed. BWV is a wonderful place, with many advantages.

I'm just not an OKW person, despite all the raving and touting of it's advantages that it's advocates post. I'm glad they are happy with thier purchase. Probably the best advice is to rent some points and go for a visit to decide which is best for you. We miss out on the GV option.

Agreed. BWV is a wonderful place, with many advantages. I'm just not an OKW person, despite all the raving and touting of it's advantages that it's advocates post. I'm glad they are happy with thier purchase. Probably the best advice is to rent some points and go for a visit to decide which is best for you. We miss out on the GV option.
Whatttttttt???? Did you quote the wrong person? I am confused. This is DeeP here, another non OKW person, I never even mentioned OKW in my post. I just get a chuckle over how you whip out that long list of BCV vs BWV lately, sort of makes me think of the canned responses like: % bigger rooms, % lower dues, etc, that we have all read ad nausaum over the years LOL. And while I agree completely with some of the pluses for BCV over BWV there are also quite a few of the pluses that are shared by both resorts and not exclusive to just BCV. Personally I love both BWV and BCV and I am really looking forward to my first stay at BCV in just 70 days!!

DeeP,
Perhaps I should have separated the two different thoughts. I know you didn't bring up OKW. The BWV vs BCV question seems to keep being asked, so I just try to share some ideas with new purchasers in the hope that it helps them. We think it is a lot of money so I try to help. Perhaps I should stop sharing the comparison if it's becoming too repetative.

I'm going to send out a letter and check with the leadership of our BCV commmunity membership association regarding your proposed upcoming stay to determine if you have been appropriately cleared for your BCV stay..... Have you been tested to determine if you will be able to tollerate the smaller rooms? Do you leave your garbage in the halls and take showers prior to using the pools? Are your personal beach towels images of the confederate flag and how often do you hang your undies out on the balconey? Confirming a few of these details with the association leadership should help to be able to get you cleared for your proposed stay.....then we can work on getting you and your family temporary access to SAB if you qualify.....

Of course, Beach Club Villas has been described as the Grand Floridian of the Crescent lake area.....

LOL!!!:)
Of course, Beach Club Villas has been described as the Grand Floridian of the Crescent lake area.....
Not only that, but both BCV and BWV are the only "true" deluxe DVC resorts! WLV is also but it is not on Crescent Lake so we will call that the only "true" deluxe DVC resort in the wilderness! LOL!;)

When they covered the Undies issue in our orientation for our BCV add-on, I spoke up and announced that seing as it is usually very warm when we visit, I would refrain from wearing said garmets when visiting :eek:

Needless to say the instructor almost flunked out the whole famdamly right there and then. I was put on probationary status for 2 years ;)

My home resort is BCV, but we stayed at VWL first (due to lack of space at BCV when we wanted to go)...we had one week to plan, lol. We came home and dh said he liked VWL better!

Two months later we went to our home resort, BCV. Loved it. We have decided to do VWL in the "cooler" months and BCV in the warm months.

Both resorts are wonderful. We've also stayed at VB and it's great, too.

We did an add on recently and just added on at BCV. Much easier to have points all at one resort I think.

Originally posted by TiggerFreak
When they covered the Undies issue in our orientation for our BCV add-on, I spoke up and announced that seing as it is usually very warm when we visit, I would refrain from wearing said garmets when visiting :eek:

Needless to say the instructor almost flunked out the whole famdamly right there and then. I was put on probationary status for 2 years ;)
In a recent review and modification of these rules, your lovely wife would have been exempt, but of course they would still be applicable to the men. Anyway, I'm told the BCV association leadership is preparing a course on appropriate resort protocol and conduct for those who are challenged in this regard that they can take as a training preparation course prior to a stay. They are also planning to provide an additive to the pool water which will turn a bright florescent orange color should anyone attempt to skip or shortchange an appropriate bathroom break. Confederate towels screening is also being planned, along with balcony clothes hanging and hallway trash monitoring and random room searches checking for extra pool towels taken back to the rooms and the possibility of smoking materials in non-smoking rooms. While these practices may be OK and some of the lower less deluxe DVC resorts, the higher standards of the "Unquestionably Deluxe" BCV resort, the "Grand Floridian of the Crescent lake area" need to be maintained and enforced as the association leadership explains.

They are also planning to provide an additive to the pool water which will turn a bright florescent orange color should anyone attempt to skip or shortchange an appropriate bathroom break
Also the additive works very well for eliminating law breaking pool hoppers at SAB. As soon as an offending, law breaking pool hopper steps foot in SAB the water turns a dark, ominous black and the horrible, scary clown from Luna Park flies over and plunks the law breaking scums into the middle of Crescent Lake never to be heard from again until they are reincarnated as ghosts that haunt the long, dark hallways of BWV forever more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter