• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which good neighbor hotel?

klj27

DIS Veteran
We are finally taking the plunge and planning an "out west" vacation for 2009. We will be gone for at least three weeks so I would like to be as frugal as possible. The DLR seem to be more than we want to spend for sleeping. Would anyone recommend any of the Good Neighbor Hotels? We are a family of two adults and three children. Thanks!

Our family consists of two adults and 3 kids, we've found for past trips the Best Western Park Place Inn is perfect for us. They have very nice mini-suites, two queen beds and a sofabed. It's a super easy walk to the parks as it's right there at the intersection. Continental breakfast is offered but we've always passed it up, we prefer a more substantial breakfast when we're on our feet all day.

Hi there!

I am going to DL on Wednesday!

When I went two years ago, I stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn & Suites. The rooms were big and had a small fridge. You can get a room there with two queens and a queen sleeper sofa. It includes a continental breakfast (it was "okay"- but, hey, it's free).
This hotel is the closest Good Neighbor Hotel. It was clean and the staff was helpful.

When are you going in 2009?

BWPPI, Carousel Inn, Tropicanna and Camelot are the closest and provide good value for money and are well thought of here. About a 15minute walk away there is CCI (A little more expensive) and HoJos (A little cheaper with an Entertainment Book discount). You can't go wrong with any of these Hotels IMO.

I've stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn, and it was perfectly fine and the rooms were clean. I just didn't like it all that much, well, because it just seems so dark and it's completely surrounded by pavement/parking. I guess that doesn't matter very much if you're in the parks all day, but when we go to DL for vacation, we like to stay somewhere that feels a little lighter and happier. I would stay there again though, and all the employees we encountered were very friendly. It's a great set-up for a family of five.

These days, if we can't get a good rate at one of the Disney hotels, we stay at the Howard Johnson. It's an extra five minute walk from the park gates, but it's worth it to us. It's just a happier place, with nice landscaping, light/bright rooms, and great pools and spas (although we're a family of swimmers and swim everyday on vacation). There's even a zero entry children's pool and a splash play area. All of their rooms have a mini-fridge and coffee maker, but only their premium rooms have a microwave (or will have a microwave since they are in the process of making this upgrade). The premium rooms also have nice views of Disneyland, the monorail, and the Matterhorn.

If you have an Entertainment card, you can sometimes get a great Entertainment rate there. Just go to their website and put in the code Sd50. If there isn't a discount available, keep checking because Entertainment rates can be released at anytime. With the discount, you can get a premium room for around $74 plus tax per night. HOJO also offers a 15% discount for DisBoard members, and the code for that is LNDB.

Thanks so much for the tips about discount codes!

It is so hard for me to imagine walking to a theme park. It's a little scary too! I can't imagine crossing any streets that would lead to a theme park entrance. :eek:

with 2 adults and 2 kids our favorites are the Tropicana and the HoJo. We've done the BWPPI, GCH, PP. The Grand CA was our favorite but way out of our price range for most of our trips.

we like Desert Inn & Suites. It is clean and close in walking distance. They have family palor room suites that work great for our family.

We like the Tropicana, right across the street (it's really not that bad crossing!). Nice clean rooms, decent price, loved the pool and hot tub. They also offer free breakfast which saved us quite a bit of $$$.

Would also recommend the Tropicana Inn. Loved the location, the pool area was great and rooms were very nice.

Desert Palms Inn and Suites. The one on the same side of the road DL. They have suites which are terrific for a family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter