Which ecv company?

reneaterry

Mouseketeer
Both of my parents will need an ecv for our upcoming trip. I am looking at renting from either apple or buena vista. Which would you rent from and why?

Also would it be better to call and talk with someone or reserve online? We will have our car with us and usually drive to the parks instead of taking the bus. Both of my parents are under 250 so any ecv recommendations are welcome also.

I've read about the preferred vendors and know its cheaper for my parents to go that route instead of using the ones in the park. There's just a lot of information and I'm not familiar with scooters so any help is very welcome. I want this trip to be enjoyable for everyone.

. . . Both of my parents are under 250 so any ecv recommendations are welcome also . . .

Heck, they are still reasonably young. :cool1:

1) Actually, ANY area scooter company would be fine.
2) Just make certain they are on the Disney "approved list".
. . . the list allows the scooter to be left with Bell Services or Concierge
. . . those not on the list must physically meet you for delivery/pickup
. . . so, inconvenience is the only difference

Walker Mobility Products is my favorite. They are not a preferred vendor so you will need to meet their representative to pick up the EVCs in the hotel lobby.

It would be a tight fit to carry two disassembled ECVs in a standard car trunk. Check with what ever company you rent from on suggestions on getting them both to fit.

Buena Vista is a great company and one of Disney's approved providers. I'd rent with them anytime. I actually purchased one of their used ECV's because they were nice.

If you rent the Pride Go-Go's, you'd be able to break them both down into a large trunk or standard SUV. My mother has a Go-Go and I have a revo and we fit both into the trunk of my SUV along with luggage for 4. We turn the go-go upside down and place it on the deck of the Revo. However, you'll have to remove the batteries to disassemble it and if you use Disney transportation, you can leave them assembled.

I have used Apple a number of times now, and have always been happy with their service.

I use Buena vista and always call to make the reservation to make sure I get the specific ECV that I want. They have the GoGo Elite traveler which is small. I have never brOken one down but they or any other rental company should be able to speak with you about size and carrying them.

The only thing you need to watch out for in the really lightweight scooters is the quality of the seat. Some of the lightweight ones I've seen are like sitting on a lumpy board! You wouldn't want to be doing that all day, no matter how light/skinny you are!

I personally love the Pride Victory 10 3-wheeler. It has a good battery, up to 25 miles range on one overnight charge, and has a lovely comfy, wide seat. Being a 3-wheeler makes it extremely manoeurable, and I have taken it through the entire queue at Test Track (twice), Soarin', Maelstrom and some others which have 180° turns in them. It breaks down into seat, battery cover, 2 batteries, rear axle, and platform/front wheel/tiller (which is the heaviest bit). I even managed to lift all the bits myself into the back of the Captiva I hired this year on my own, although it was a lot better when I had DD with me and we did a 'one-two-three-lift' operation.

Next year I'm going with Florida Mobility Rentals. They were by far the cheapest for me (only $223 for 14 days) and seem to have good reviews.

Unfortunately, the Disney affiliated companies charge a premium for the privilege of leaving their equipment at bell services, and a couple came out to well over $350 for the same period. FMR will be delivering to my hotel door first thing on day one.

Walker Mobility Products is my favorite. They are not a preferred vendor so you will need to meet their representative to pick up the EVCs in the hotel lobby.

It would be a tight fit to carry two disassembled ECVs in a standard car trunk. Check with what ever company you rent from on suggestions on getting them both to fit.
The Hunchback and I always agree on this subject. I think we might be Walker Mobility's biggest fans! The people there are so helpful, and the service is just top notch. It's worth it to me to meet them to get my scooter to keep using them (I first used them in 2008 or 2009). We always use WDW transportation, so I get the heavy duty scooters (added benefit - longer battery life, I think?), so I have no advice regarding the breakdown or portability of their portable type scooters, though I'm sure they're great, too. :thumbsup2

My scooter was damaged by Jet Blue and while they fixed it they got a rental from Florida Mobility Rentals for me I have nothing but good things to say about them super nice people and when my scooter was done and they came to get the rental I forgot to give them the charger they met me at MK at rope drop to pick up the charger

My scooter was damaged by Jet Blue and while they fixed it they got a rental from Florida Mobility Rentals for me I have nothing but good things to say about them super nice people and when my scooter was done and they came to get the rental I forgot to give them the charger they met me at MK at rope drop to pick up the charger

Thanks for the positive feedback on FMR. I had a webchat with someone and then did a second one a few weeks later, speaking to someone called Caroline. I thought that was odd until she confirmed that she was a Brit, too! Caroline is not a name I've come across in the US before! Anyway, she rang me to confirm the booking and we ended up chatting for 51 minutes!!! That's US to UK, so goodness only knows how much that's ended up costing them!

The best bit was that I only had to pay 50% up front due to it being 7 months until our holiday. I won't have to pay the balance until 5 days before our trip, and she'll ring me at that point and check whether I want to confirm the booking or cancel (with no penalty and a full 100% refund). She also said she'd love to meet with me once we're there as I 'sound like a lot of fun'!

Oh yes, if I want I can hire a rear basket for the ECV for only $15 for the whole period. A lot of companies want to charge you $15 per DAY!!

I know you have made up your mind, and I would not try to change it, but I have never been asked for an upfront deposit. I reserve nearly 10 months before we arrive.

You may want to check some of the other vendors listed and see if they have that deposit charge. That sounds like a lot of your money to be allowing someone to use for 7 months.

If I am not the only one to have not had to pay a deposit, please chime in. Maybe I am totally off on this one.

I know you have made up your mind, and I would not try to change it, but I have never been asked for an upfront deposit. I reserve nearly 10 months before we arrive.

You may want to check some of the other vendors listed and see if they have that deposit charge. That sounds like a lot of your money to be allowing someone to use for 7 months.

If I am not the only one to have not had to pay a deposit, please chime in. Maybe I am totally off on this one.

I don't believe I've ever had to pay prior to my trips either.

Walker Mobility, they have been my company of choice for over 8 years now. Consistent quality and great prices. Van't go wrong with Walker!

rj

I have used apple scooter several times. We have never had a problem the scooter is alway waiting for us and leave it for them to pick it up.
Michelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter