• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which DVC resort would you stay at?

RooRach0906

"Oh Goody, Horray!"
We (DH, DD and I) are going beginning of Dec 2012 we invited my DSis and DNiece to join us. DD will be 2 1/2 and DNiece will be 9 at the time of our stay. DD will be in a stroller and will be going a few afternoon back to the room to sleep and will sleep some in the stroller (hoping to take the bigger Graco) DD will probably be sleeping in a PnP as well. If this was you which DVC resort do you think you would do?? and would you do a studio, one bedroom, or two bedroom???

Or would you skip the DVC all together and go to the Arts of Anim Family Suite???

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah Boardwalk is not an option DSis does not want to stay there and since this is more a once in a blue Moon trip for her and not us, I am fine with this.

i would do a one or two bedroom at bay lake tower or kidani village. the one bedrooms at those locations have 2 bathrooms. bay lake tower has easy monorail access, and kidani village had the animal theming if that appeals to them.

the villas are definately wonderful! happy planning!!

Remember though that AKV is far from everything (except AK). Could be a long time on the bus with little ones. Go for BLT.

Is budget a big issue? How about privacy?

If it was me, I would do a 1 bedroom DVC room in BLT. The 1 bedroom would give you and DH privacy, it would give your sister and her DD their own bathroom.(the room has 2 full bathrooms and sleeps 5 comfortably) You would have a full kitchen where you can have some breakfast before heading to the parks or even use it to hold drinks and snacks. You would have the washer/dryer as well. Then you will have great access to the MK which I assume you would be going to most often out of all of the parks. The food available is great, it's a new resort, great location to head back to the resort for afternoon breaks, you really can't go wrong! Oh and I would rent from a DVC owner to save some money.

BLT hands down. You can walk to the MK. You don't have to wait for the monorail and stand in the rush of people all leaving at once. Makes going back for a nap very easy with little ones.

You also get the monorail to Epcot. Again another nice thing for little kids. You don't have to take them out of the stroller to go to every park which you would for all but BW and BVC.

With 5 you can't get a studio so I would opt for the 1 br. If you could swing it get the MKV. Nothing beats the view from BLT.

Enjoy.

Is budget a big issue? How about privacy?

If it was me, I would do a 1 bedroom DVC room in BLT. The 1 bedroom would give you and DH privacy, it would give your sister and her DD their own bathroom.(the room has 2 full bathrooms and sleeps 5 comfortably) You would have a full kitchen where you can have some breakfast before heading to the parks or even use it to hold drinks and snacks. You would have the washer/dryer as well. Then you will have great access to the MK which I assume you would be going to most often out of all of the parks. The food available is great, it's a new resort, great location to head back to the resort for afternoon breaks, you really can't go wrong! Oh and I would rent from a DVC owner to save some money.

Budget is a little concern but not a go or not go kinda of thing. Althought both DH and DSis say that they are fine sleeping in a room together I think we should be seperated but I know DSis is fine with limited privacy.

As for Renting from an owner, we are trying to be able to rent for our other DSis and hoping she will give us a little off what the norm is since we are family.

Thank you everyone for your imput so far please keep them coming.

BLT hands down. You can walk to the MK. You don't have to wait for the monorail and stand in the rush of people all leaving at once. Makes going back for a nap very easy with little ones.

You also get the monorail to Epcot. Again another nice thing for little kids. You don't have to take them out of the stroller to go to every park which you would for all but BW and BVC.

With 5 you can't get a studio so I would opt for the 1 br. If you could swing it get the MKV. Nothing beats the view from BLT.

Enjoy.

I thought we could do a studio since DD will be under 3. I think we can if we were to do a regular room so I thought I could for a studio as well.:confused3 So confusing but thank you for letting me know.

I would also say BLT-1 Bedroom. I have been reading that the studios are very small especially since there will be 3 adults and 2 children. Families of 4 with 2 little ones have said it was too small for them.

Good luck.

Budget is a little concern but not a go or not go kinda of thing. Althought both DH and DSis say that they are fine sleeping in a room together I think we should be seperated but I know DSis is fine with limited privacy.

As for Renting from an owner, we are trying to be able to rent for our other DSis and hoping she will give us a little off what the norm is since we are family.

Thank you everyone for your imput so far please keep them coming.

Then I say BLT all the way!! And I hope your DSis gives you a good deal!;) I never have enough points left over to rent out to family members! They hate me!:rotfl:

I thought we could do a studio since DD will be under 3. I think we can if we were to do a regular room so I thought I could for a studio as well.:confused3 So confusing but thank you for letting me know.

Yes, the studios only sleep 4 and believe me you do not all want to be in a studio! Go for the 1 bedroom you will love all the space and so will the kids. BTW, the BLT studios are small, even my family of 4 won't stay in them and we have stayed in regular hotel rooms with no issues.

1 or 2 bedroom at BLT. I just booked my DVC stay with Daves vacation rentals and it went very smooth! Have fun!

I'd personally prefer a 2-bedroom with 5 people in a room, but I understand a 1-bedroom might be more in line with your budget. If you decide on a 1-bedroom I'd definitely try to stay at the Bay Lake Towers since you'll have 2 full bathrooms. If you opt for a 2-bedroom I'd consider either the Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas. Although BLT is a short walk to the Magic Kingdom and a quick monorail ride to Epcot (with a transfer) and the Ticket & Transportation Center, BCV & BWV are within walking distance to both Epcot & Hollywood Studios. There are also a lot of eateries & activities around the Epcot Resort Lagoon.

Here's a quick break down of room costs for a one week rental in early December, assuming you're renting points at a $10/point rental fee.

BLT 1-bedroom, standard view: $1940
lake view: $2220
Magic Kingdom view: $2730

BCV 2-bedroom (no view choice): $2710

BWV 2-bedroom, standard view: $2200
preferred view: $2690

As you can see a 2-bedroom standard view at BWV is only $260 more than a 1-bedroom standard view at BLT, and $20 less than a 1-bedroom lake view.

with planning to go back to the room mid day for naps i'd pick one closest to which ever park you spend the most time in to cut down on travel time for the person having to do the baby nap run. with that said we just did a short trip with 6 adults and 1 child and stayed in the dvc treehouse villas at saratoga springs resort. having 3 distinct bedrooms was fantastic. i loved being able to park right outside the room. the room as a whole was beautiful and very comfortable. i'd do it again in a heartbeat. when we traveled with little ones (particularly really little ones) staying in this type of room was always a plus since they go to sleep earlier or for naps. parents can stay up like grown ups with the kids in bed.

The Bay Lake studio would be way too small.

If you can afford it get a two bedroom anywhere over the other. Sleeping on a sofa is not fun.

Early December is very popular at the DVC resorts, so you need to book at 11 months to be sure to get what you want, where you want it.

Also know that if you rent, you will pay upfront in full and no refunds and no daily housekeeping. You will get trash and towels on the 4th day of your stay.

The advantage of the Family suites, is you do not have to pay in full, you can cancel which with small children might be a big plus and you get daily housekeeping.

If convenience is the most important thing, I'd do a one-bedroom at BLT. Those fill up really fast so I'd get one as soon as it's available. If theme is more important, I'd go with AKL, especially for the beautiful pools.

I don't think a 2 1/2 year old will fit in those Pack and Plays. My twins were not gigantic babies, but at 10 months they were pushing the outer limit of comfort in those things. Any older they would have been climbing out very easily.

As for renting, I rent points once or twice a year and I normally don't pay more than $10 per point. You may have to go up to $11 for BLT because it's so popular, though. As the PP pointed out though, there are no refunds if you have to cancel whether you go through a broker or a private owner. I have found owners will occasionally work with renters on cancellations or changes, but make sure you hammer that out in advance.

A studio is small. You will all be falling over each other. The studios are only 300 sq ft. If you're staying DVC, get a 1 bd or stay in an Animation family suite.

You have some great options!

As a family of five, I have stayed at the following.....

CR - The room has 2 queen beds & a daybed. I did have a 2 year old in a PnP there & it worked fine. The rooms are large and so is the bathroom. I love the easy walk to/from MK. Monorail is great too!

BLT 2 bedroom - The master bedroom had a king bed & huge bathroom. The 2nd bedroom had 2 queen beds and a bathroom. The living area had a full kitchen, pull-out sofa, sofa chair, laundry & bathroom. I'm sure you would be fine in a 1 bedroom. Again, easy walk to/from MK.

Poly - 2 Queen beds & a daybed. Bathroom didn't seem as large as CR, but still nice. Easy walk to/from TTC. Enjoyed the monorail.

FW Cabin - The bedroom had a double bed & set of bunks. The living area had a full kitchen, sofa & murphy bed. We enjoyed taking the boat to/from MK.

Good luck & enjoy your vacation!

I believe a studio is too small for 3 adults and 2 children, especially with one in a pack n play. And especially BLT. For your stay BLT would be my first choice. Second would be VWL. But, if you are going in December and plan on using your sisters DVC points, you have a high probability of staying where her home resort is. December (the entire month) is a very busy time for dvc members. Most people book their December stays at the 11 month window and when the 7 month window opens pickings are slim, particularly for the more popular resorts. Not trying to be negative but we go in December often and although we usually try to move resorts, we have always stayed at our home resort during this time. I believe a one bedroom DVC, a family suite, or 2 rooms at a value would suit you best. Hope you enjoy your stay and happy planning!

I would also do at least a one bedroom at BLT!! I cannot imagine 5 people in a studio even if one is under 3, just no fun IMHO.

BLT is so close to MK with kids that is probably where you will spend more of your days plus it is so convenient to hop on over there at night to see the parade and fireworks and be able to WALK back while everyone else is standing in a mega line for bus/boat/monorail!!

BLT has two bathrooms!!! And a sleeper sofa and chair!! Plus I just like having the washer/dryer in the room so I don't have to pack as much and can just wash any clothes with spills etc... And that full size fridge comes in handy. We don't "cook" in the room much but it holds all our drinks and snacks! :)

I would stay in a one or two bedroom that uses the least amount of points to save the money. I will say that you can stay in a three bedroom tree house villa for the same point cost as a two bedroom at Saratoga Springs. I couldn't imagine having that many people in a studio.

Thank you for the replies so far, We have decided it will definately be a one bedroom. Still deciding which resort.

For those of you who said BLT, do you think its really worth the price for the view?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter