Which do you like better Kindle or Nook

disneydreamer1970

Loves planning surprise Disney trips!
My birthday is this week and I have decided that I would love to have an e-reader. I love books, and am not a big magazine reader. What do you prefer and why?

Thank you....Trish

Try them both out. They both use roughly the same eInk technology. If you are a quick reader and would take advantage of library lending, then the Nook is currently the way to go. If not, go with whichever you like the feel of better. Personally, I much preferred the Kindle -- it's lighter and I liked the keyboard.

I went to Best Buy and tried both out - I thought I would get the Nook for the lending feature, but I liked the Kindle much better. I thought the screen was sharper and it was much lighter. I also hated the touch screen on the Nook, and it has a shiny white border that caught a bit of a glare.

The library feature wasn't a big deal to me, but if it is to you, the Nook is a good product, just wasn't for me!

I had a kindle and recently upgraded to a color nook and love it!

I decided in December that I wanted an ereader. I researched both and although the Kindle has gotten better reviews (based on the technology) I was also tempted by the Nook because of the library books and the in-store coupons and freebies you can get at Barnes and Noble. The books available for each are fairly comparable, and the book prices are usually fairly close. There are lots of free books available for each on their own sites as well as a few other sites. I just could not decide, until I actually went to some stores to play with them. I went to several stores so I could be sure I was getting an accurate feel for each device, and wasn't ruling one out because of one bad display model. Once I actually got my hands on them, there was no question. I went with the Kindle because I liked it more. I liked the feel of it and I also liked the controls more than those of the Nook. For some people the Nook's touch screen is a selling point, but it annoyed me more than I expected. I like the set up of the Kindle better. I also thought the screen looked better. I've been using my Kindle for a little over a month now and so far I have no complaints.

I have a Sony and love it! It also allows you to borrow from the library if that's an important feature for you (it is for me). Our Best Buy has all three (Sony, Nook & Kindle) on display and you can try all three out. I have a very basic model of the Sony and thought I might upgrade to the Nook. After playing with all of them I decided I'm going to upgrade, but stick with Sony.

Another nice thing I've found with the Sony is I can get my books from Sony, Borders, and Kobobooks.

I have wanted a Kindle for a few years, but I received a Nook for Christmas and I really like it. I do like the library lending feature, I've downloaded several books from the library already.

Honestly, they are both great products and I doubt you could go wrong with either one.

I got a Kindle for christmas and I love it! I never tried a Nook though.

I've never actually seen a Kindle in person, but I LOVE my Nook!

I own akindle and love it. I sell nooks at work and to me, the nook seems a little hard to use than the kindle. It might be because I'm used to the kindle. Like others haave said the kindle had better reviews and it is so light. i would never have use the library function anyway. both have thousands of free and low cost books to download. I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever one you choose.
Liz

I have had my Kindle for a couple of months now and love it. I travel quite a bit, and love being able to download books when ever I want. I plan to use it in Australia this summer too. I like the no glare screen, and it is very easy to use.

My wife and I did a lot of research before we bought Kindles for each other. What we discovered in our research is that the Kindle is generally considered a superior device overall, has a superior user-interface, and its battery lasts longer. The Nook's only significant advantage is its library lending feature (something which the Kindle may add at a later date, anyway). Since we've bought about 100 paperbacks over the last several years and have not borrowed a single library book (we would never want to have to wait for a book we want to read, or accept whatever book happens to be available at the time), the library lending feature of the Nook didn't hold any promise for us, so our decision was easy.

It should be noted that you actually have three main choices: Kindle, Nook and Nook Color - the Nook Color is so different in technology from the Nook that it must be considered a separate device. And specifically not recommended, as far as I'm concerned. Although I recommend the Kindle, you really cannot go wrong by selecting the (regular) Nook instead. It is almost as good as the Kindle, and once you have it, you can readily convince yourself that it is the better device - they are apparently that similar in quality. The Nook Color, on the other hand, is different. It is backlit, and that's simply a bad idea for reading. It is very clear that e-ink (the display technology for the Kindle and the regular Nook) causes far less eyestrain than a backlit screen.

I've had my Nook for almost 2 months now, and I love it! The ability to borrow ebooks from the library is what tipped the scales for me in favor of the Nook vs the Kindle. Otherwise, they were pretty much even in my book. Although, I'm still old-fashioned enough that I liked the security of having a brick & mortar store where I could go and ask questions, so that was another advantage of the Nook. After saying that, I found the Nook to be easy enough to use that I only had to read the on-line guide whenever I needed further information. I even have my own photos uploaded for the wallpaper and screensaver.

My wife and I did a lot of research before we bought Kindles for each other. What we discovered in our research is that the Kindle is generally considered a superior device overall, has a superior user-interface, and its battery lasts longer.

Another advantage of the Nook: when the battery dies, you can just take it to the store and get a replacement. With the Kindle, you have to send your Kindle back to Amazon to have the battery replaced, so you'll be without it for a few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter