Which DL Hotel is Best and Why?

DavidRoss

Mouseketeer
Hello,

Michigan resident here looking to travel to Disneyland for first time in May, 2008. My wife and I have been to WDW at least 20 times but will be traveling to San Francisco for a week and would like to spend the following week at DL. So, is the Grand Californian recommended over Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
David

Many people here will recommend the Disneyland Hotel if you say you have kids. They will say that the pool is better and the hotel is more themed towards kids. However, I specifically chose the Grand Californian "because" I have kids. Mostly because it is closer. With a 2 and 4 year old we will be making frequent trips back to the room and the closer the better. Also the hotel is only 6 stories high (I won't be higher than the 4th floor) which means we will be spending less time waiting for elevators. Ever try getting down from a high floor at around 8:00 just before the park opens and stopping at every floor to pick up more people that can't fit in the elevator car? Good Times!!!:thumbsup2

Just the 2 of you? Go for GCH!!!
Got Kids? Go for GCH!!! (Just my opinion!)

well i have to say its not a disney hotle but same amount of distince. Hojos cheaper and still can get a disney view. idk if id waist the money on dlh now. (for 169 i got a pin card for dlh but im still not gona try to do it)

I have to say I disagree with the above poster (politely). The sole criterium in choosing a hotel is not "cheap/cheaper/cheapest" for everyone. There are other criteria in choosing a hotel. The negativity on this site against Disney hotels sometimes can be astounding. Certainly if budget is a major consideration for this trip, then by all means consider one of the Harbor Blvd motels/hotels. Go with whatever you budget comfortably fits. There is also a Best Western Park Place Inn, The CandyCane Inn, The Fairfield, and a host of others in walking distance of the park's entrance.

Given that its you and your wife, I'd recommend the GCH. Its more adult-feeling and since you've been to WDW then you can think along the lines of Wilderness Lodge. The rooms are smaller than the DLH but you are closer to the parks. That said, DLH is a lot of fun and the walk through Downtown Disney is really easy (or take the monorail). PP is a great option if you still want to stay "onsite". As with all Disney hotels, no matter WDW or DLR, it pays to go to the website and look at the pictures to help you decide what appeals to you.

My highly subjective ranks would be 1. GCH 2. a close second DLH with a DTD view and 3. PP with a park view side room only

Well I have to agree that if you want to do it right, go to GCH. It's the closest to the delux resorts of WDW. It's lovely, and the location is so nice. I especially love the rooms over the DCA entrance that look out over GRR. You can get soaked on GRR, and just a couple of minutes later be sitting on your balcony in dry clothes, watching others get soaked. DLH is fun and festive, but older and a bit of a longer walk to the parks. Rooms are bigger, the hotel and pool is probably more fun for kids at DLH. Also, there are more restaurants and shops at the DLH, but who needs them with DTD right outside your door at GCH. Personally, I stay at DLH more often because it's a little friendlier on my wallet, but I definitely prefer the GCH.

Now certainly JadeDarkstar has a point in that you can stay very close without staying at a Disney property. The benefit of staying on-sight at DL does not compare to staying on-sight at WDW. If cost is a significant factor, by all means consider staying at one of the motor hotels on Harbor. But they are just that -- motor inns and motor hotels on a fairly busy road(HoJo's is right off the freeway). To me, there is a different "feel" when you stay off-sight. There are also some very nice hotels further away, but then you would probably need to shuttle in to the park. Coming all the way from Michigan for your first trip to DL, perhaps spoiled by the lovely resorts at WDW -- go for GCH if you can!

Hi David.

Our family loves the Grand Californian. We've stayed there for our last 3 visits, each time with a room over the DCA entrance overlooking GRR. It's a truly spectacular view, with sunrise being my favorite. When we first stayed there, we had very young children (18 months and 4). It was so nice to be able to get back to the room quickly for naps, pool time, etc. Except for Character Breakfast days, we would start each morning at Whitewater Snacks and then take a leisurely stroll though DTD over to the park for rope drop. The private DCA entrance is wonderful. It was so easy to head back and forth to the room through that entrance when the park is open. The architecture and atmosphere of the GC can't be beat.

Now that our girls are a bit older and have more endurance, we decided to try the DLH for our visit this October. We've heard so much about the theming and larger rooms, that we wanted to experience it for ourselves.

My personal rating system for the 3 Disney hotels are: 1) GC, 2) DLH, 3) PP.

For your first visit, I recommend that you stay on property or choose a Good Neighbor hotel located at the right near the park entrance so that you can walk to the parks. That way, you won't waste time waiting for shuttles. I've read some posts here on the boards where people have reported waiting up to an hour for the ART shuttle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter