• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which dinner show is the best?

kristin3

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We are thinking of doing a dinner show. We have 3 girls ages, 11, 8, and 6.
I was looking at the Michey's Backyard Barbecue but I can't seem to get into that. So either Spirit of Aloha or Hoop-Dee-Doo? Is it worth the money? Will my kids enjoy it or would they rather be in the parks??

Thanks for your help!
Kristin

Hi,
We are thinking of doing a dinner show. We have 3 girls ages, 11, 8, and 6.
I was looking at the Michey's Backyard Barbecue but I can't seem to get into that. So either Spirit of Aloha or Hoop-Dee-Doo? Is it worth the money? Will my kids enjoy it or would they rather be in the parks??

Thanks for your help!
Kristin

They are both very enjoyable. Every time we go to WDW we do both. I prefer the HDDR, show is ful of corny jokes food is good and the cast really get the audience involved. Hope this helps

We just did both last trip. We had girls with us age 6. They enjoyed both shows very much and it was a nice diversion from the parks. However, something we did not enjoy was getting back to our resort after the HDDR show. We made the mistake of letting the girls play in the little playground after the show and so we subsequently missed the resort buses that people say are at FW after the shows. Long story short, it was a nightmare getting back to our resort. However, from what I've read, if you go right to the bus stop after the show, there should be resort buses waiting.

SOA, on the other hand, was easy as pie for us because we were staying right at the Poly!

HDDR is a must-do for us every trip!:thumbsup2 My kids love it and always ask to go back.:yay: It has all you can eat comfort food and drinks, funny but corny show with audience participation, and ice cold a/c (which is fantastic after being in the hot sun all day).:dance3:

MBYBBQ is outside, and even though it has characters, you have to compete with other kids to get close to them.

Never been to the Luau so I can't comment about that.

Hope this helps.:goodvibes

Our family enjoys HDDR a lot more than the Luau show. The Luau show has nice food, and the show is entertaining for about 15 minutes. After that it gets a little boring for us. Also it is outdoors, so the temps can be a bit warm.

HDDR is of course indoors, so the temps are controlled. But we find the show itself to be a lot more enjoyable, with more audience interaction, and some pretty fun music and corny jokes.

But as to whether kids would enjoy these shows more or less than being in the parks during that time, OP will have to make that call.

Hoop is better than the Luau. ::yes::

In fact, the Poly Luau isn't even the best luau in Orlando.

Our whole family loves the Hoop De Doo. (Even our 2 year old on the last trip).

It's now a staple for us, and we generally do it on our arrival day. We drive down from PA, and generally get to our resort around noon. We hang out at the pool all day, and do the Hoop De Doo that first night. GREAT way to start our trips, and has become a sort of tradition for us. :goodvibes

It's now a staple for us, and we generally do it on our arrival day. We drive down from PA, and generally get to our resort around noon. We hang out at the pool all day, and do the Hoop De Doo that first night. GREAT way to start our trips, and has become a sort of tradition for us. :goodvibes

We don't have quite the drive you do, but that is exactly how we're doing HDDR this fall. We might hit MK for an hour or two in addition to the pool time, but HDDR is on our first night there.

Hoop Dee Do is more kid friendly. We looked into the Backyard BBQ, but what we didn't like is it's open seating, so you have to get their early to get the seating you want. It's cheaper, but has it's downfalls. Plus, it's completely outside so has the potential for rainout.

Our choice is always Hoop Dee Do. The food is good and the show is very entertaining. Our girls (4 1/2 and 1 1/2) love it. The 4 and half year old has been 2 times and it hasn't grown old.

And the strawberry shortcake at the end is too good not to mention!!!!

I've not done Mickey's BBQ. I have attended both HDDR and the luau. I won't do the luau again. As the another PP mentioned, it's boring and I didn't think the food was all that great. HDDR is inside which means climate controlled. :goodvibes The food is better too and the show is cute and has audience participation. There's also free alcohol at HDDR.

Scheduling Hoop on our first night keeps us on track with the drive instead of wandering off to unplanned diversions. Can't go chasing the World's Biggest Ball of Twine ;) when you know you have a Hoop reservation to make!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter