Which digital camera?

Stick_to_Disney

Mouseketeer
I need to get a new digital camera. I need it to be 6-8 megapixels and no more than 300 dollars. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Panasonic Lumix is a nice small camera with 6 megapixles. It also has a stabalization feature that takes the shake out of the picture. It's around that price.

I have had my Sony DSC-W50 fro several months now and I love it. Small and user friendly. It was around 250.00, 6MP and 3x optical zoom.

Just sold my Sony N1 and picked up the Lumix FX3 .What a difference We are not big picture people but ended up with 340 shots with over 200 keepers ( I like to take the same picture in different settings until i get use to it.)This was all last week for 5 days at the World.

I was just up on the Circuit City site. They have digital cameras at 15% off. I am really impressed with the prices that I am seeing. Just something to keep in mind. BTW, I have a Kodak EasyShare. I love it -- they have higher end ones on sale so I may be picking up another one!

I bought a Canon A710 right before we left and i LOVE it. The pictures are coming out so great. It is a 7.1 , image stablization and 6x optical zoom. Online was cheaper than in store and it was under $300.

Canon S2-IS. Awesome camera at 5mp, has a 12X standard zoom as well as an additional digital zoom, plus will do video and GREAT audio recording.

Don't bother getting the newer S3-IS as the only difference (for an additional $100) is that it allows you to time/date stamp pictures and video.

I have a Kodak Easyshare, it takes a great piture, but I find that the shutter speed is too slow on a action pictures. The subject has gone before it takes the picture. So, if you are trying to take ride pictures its too slow, or any sport shots the persons well gone before the sutter takes the shot. Way too slow.
Anyone got something that takes them nice and quickly but still a great photo.

I bought the Panosonic Lumix for our trip this past week and love it. I ordered it from Best Buy for $275 with free next day shipping. I ordered it Friday and had it on Monday. We love the camera and it has taken great pictures. It has a large 2 1/2" screen on the back and a 12X optical zoom. I had to stand at the back of the B&B show at MGM and it looks like my pictures were taken from the front row. I bought a 2G card and I have over 600 pictures on it with more room to go (I think it holds in the 800 range).

Like above poster said, I would check the photography forum.

I've have used alot of different cameras/brands in work and play
and so far canon has been my favorite. There are a lot of digital
camera review sites that you should check out also. I prefer the
pocket size of the canon SD series (digital elph). There is not
substitute for picking them up and testing them out. Remember
you don't really need more than 6 megapixel unless you plan on
printing larger than 8x10 OR want to digitally enlarge your photos
to zoom/crop on part of the picture.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.dcviews.com/

http://www.dcresource.com/

http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html

I just got a Fuji finepix F30 which was $265 but there is a $50 rebate. It is 6.1 MP and takes great low light shots without a flash! My Osbourne lights shots were amazing. I read reviews on it from the links mentioned above.

For Caltha...I take a lot of action shots too and have found that it is best to take continuous shots to get a good one. You probably have a setting that will take 3 or more in quick succession and then usually one of them comes out good.

Canon S2-IS. Awesome camera at 5mp, has a 12X standard zoom as well as an additional digital zoom, plus will do video and GREAT audio recording.

Don't bother getting the newer S3-IS as the only difference (for an additional $100) is that it allows you to time/date stamp pictures and video.

The S3 has more improvements than that over the S2:

Successor to the popular PowerShot S2 IS, the latest addition to the PowerShot S-series incorporates a 6.0-megapixel CCD sensor, Canon's renowned optical Image Stabilizer technology, and video functionality rivalling that of dedicated digital video camcorders. Sporting a striking new finish in gunmetal grey, the compact PowerShot S3 IS answers the demands of advanced photographers with several improvements over its predecessor, including an increased sensitivity range of ISO 80 to ISO 800, a larger 2.0-inch vari-angle LCD screen, widescreen (16:9) recording, new movie features, and an additional Sports mode.

That's the best suggestion I see here, JMO.

The OP actually started the exact same thread on the photo board at the same time as this one.

I don't now which one I should post replies to :confused3

Anyway, over there the OP said that zoom and small size are important. Those things typically contradict each other. The S2/S3 are probably getting on the too large side. I second the A710. It is on the smaller side and has a decent zoom with IS. It seems like a pretty nice combination of features for those that need something smaller.

Kevin

The OP actually started the exact same thread on the photo board at the same time as this one.

I don't now which one I should post replies to :confused3

Anyway, over there the OP said that zoom and small size are important. Those things typically contradict each other. The S2/S3 are probably getting on the too large side. I second the A710. It is on the smaller side and has a decent zoom with IS. It seems like a pretty nice combination of features for those that need something smaller.

Kevin

I have to agree with Kevin. You not getting a small camera with a good zoom. The best thing to do there is get a high megapixel and digitally zoom on your PC later. You can zoom in quite a bit and keep good quality on a 8x10 or smaller print with a 7-10 MP camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter